Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Head Unit IAM2.1 Level3 with “SPDIF IN” is ready!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FL2Vano

Russia 
Head Unit IAM2.1 Level3 with “SPDIF IN” is ready!

Happy New Year, dear forum users! Now is the perfect time to give and receive gifts! So I made myself for my Freelander2 a gift for this NY!
Several years of struggle for hidden knowledge and exhausting research, bypassing the secrecy of the precious MI-6 JLR documentation, as well as VOLVO that joined them - and here is my dream (to feed music from an external source into Hi-Res directly into the head unit of my Freelander2 via SPDIF COAXIAL or optics) has found a very real embodiment for itself, in spite of any obstacles. No, no publication of declassified documents from JLR ever appeared, but I broke through this dark veil, following the methods of one well-known Englishman, so now I can repeat after him aloud: “No problem, Watson!”
The time spent was not only wasted (due to dead-ends rejected by me, but tested implementation options), but also to gain new expanded knowledge in various areas that were in contact with my idea in one way or another, so I’m even glad that this happened right now. During this time, I managed to try and eventually pick up additional blocks that allowed me to realize my plan even more elegantly than I originally imagined!
Of course, there are pluses and minuses, but it was the resulting pluses that developed the final use case, which I myself was very pleased with.
So, the final work on the realization of my dreams - step by step:
- we output the sound signal from IAM2.1 Level3 in digital form directly from the DVD player board through an additional scarf to the optics (according to Feng Shui, everything fits in the Head Unit!).
- next we make an optical input (it also fits in the Head Unit according to Feng Shui!) To put the digital signal back into the player according to the principle “Put everything back!” (that is, we replace!). The power supply of both scarves is taken from an internal 5V source for USB in the Head Unit.

Click image to enlarge

Trying on cut off from the available scarf with the input and output of optics. Fasteners with screws and bolts from the children's designer to the casing of the DVD player.

Adjusting the rack size to M3 with fastening to the internal frame of the boards in the Head Unit.

Click image to enlarge

Left entrance, right exit. I marked the cables with colors, so that later on the selector would not get confused.

- we hide another box under the DVD player - a unit for extracting SPDIF optics from standard HDMI (a Thunderbolt / HDMI cable goes from the smartphone), after which we pull the (already third) optical cable to the already agreed selector in the glove compartment between the front seats.

Click image to enlarge

Old photo of the HDMI converter and selector block (then with two green LEDs) remained only from the time of the first attempt, when everything was checked on the canopy.

- solder to the cigarette lighter wiring and fix inside the tunnel a voltage converter from 12-15V to two USB outputs of 5V each (2 USB - for two new blocks).

The cigarette lighter with backlight has thicker wires than the second one. And it was more convenient to crawl here.

- we make a hole at the bottom of the glove compartment for three optical cables and 5V power wiring (I had a second cup holder in this place, which TURNED out could be easily removed, but I found out about it after 8 years of using the car!). We fasten the selector block with the screws it has through the bottom of the glove compartment (and then I also glued it for greater reliability).
- in this way we use two optical inputs on the selector - one from the Head Unit, the second from the smartphone.
- the output from the selector goes back to the PG - to the input through the already laid cable.

Bottom view of the center console - the color-coded optical cables show where the only convenient place was found for them. A glued 5V converter is visible under them.

- the Thunderbolt/HDMI cable is brought out through the left hole of the three intended for attaching the central speaker cover (accordingly, I had to sacrifice the mounting leg on the driver's side - it was simply broken out, because I really did not want to make extra holes in the dash). There is no photo, but the cable with the Thunderbolt connector was pulled out with a thread with a nut lowered through the hole from top to bottom. The HDMI connector would definitely not fit there!
- as a result, we only see the SPDIF input selector (already with one replaced LED - red will show that the signal from the smartphone is involved, and green - the regular operation of the entire system). Instead of a regular power connector, the selector has SPDIF COAXIAL, paralleled with a signal from a smartphone. There is still the original Thunderbolt / SPDIF COAXIAL cable in stock, but it still needs to work on the built-in converter - at the output it gives a signal swing of only 0.7V instead of at least 3V. Or will there be an emergency entrance!

The selector stuck tightly! I overdid it a little with glue - it leaked out in a day. There are already green and red LEDs.

Thus, we have the following use cases:
1. Standard.
This is when you start the engine, and everything works properly. It was as if no one had intervened. The green signal is lit on the selector - this is how it starts by default when power is applied, you do not need to press anything. We use everything that JLR offers us (or even VOLVO with the same Head Unit IAM2.1 Level3).
2. Listening from a smartphone through the output Thunderbolt cable.
To do this, insert the DVD into the player. And it is not even necessary to select something additionally in the disc menu or start playback - just start the disc splash screen (or if it starts playing, you can pause it). On the head there is a picture from the screensaver or content from the DVD. Next, press the only button on the selector. And the second source starts - in my case with a red indicator (LED). The audio signal coming from the DVD is turned off. We launch the player on the smartphone. We enjoy any composition from our Hi-Res collection without any loss in quality. As a rip is made from a CD or DVD (or downloaded) - it will play as if you inserted them into the player of our Head Unit. The only thing we remember is our maximum quality through the standard GU, this is WAV 16/48, up to which it will automatically recalculate the input signal. Although this is not the maximum available in WAV Hi0Res (Hi End) such as 24/96 or 32/192, but I think that this is already a serious victory compared to regular playback of GU music from an MP3 320 flash drive!
3. Listening to music from other alternative sources (such as Raspberry or others like it on Linux and Android) which can take Hi-Res WAV files from USB flash or HDD and offer a digital signal output through SPDIF optics. Fortunately, people have already developed and are able to customize them in any combination and complexity. But under them, you may need either an additional remote control (which I didn’t want to put in my cabin), or an application on a smartphone (here is the question: what about navigation?). Maybe someone will be interested in this way!
On Ali, you can find selectors with more optical inputs (not two, but three or more). After it you could combine p2 and p3 together. The main thing here is that the new SPDIF output source has optics! No one on Ali offers me the same with COAXIAL.
You can also exit the music listening (and navigation) mode from your smartphone by simply pressing the selector button, switching it back to the Standard mode (red goes out, green lights up). At the same time, we return to the listening mode of the inserted DVD.
When you take out the DVD, our Head Unit jumps to the radio. In this case, the operation of the external selector is completely ignored - you can listen to the radio, select MP3 on a USB flash drive, play saved CDs or insert a CD instead of a DVD. In general, in all modes, except for DVD, my refinement does not affect anything at all, becoming completely invisible. Since it is the sound digital signal from the player that goes its own way, unlike all other modes of operation of the Head Unit. I would add this to the list of amenities.
I have already checked some expensive smartphones - ASUS ROG Phone series and Samsung S22 (that is, those that support Thunderbolt, not just Type-C). Everything works perfectly!
My positive and most liked scenario - already run in a few days:
- the first phone or smartphone is connected to the PG via BT only for hands-free conversations. The contacts are controlled from the regular Head Unit as usual.
- on the second smartphone (I use ASUS ROG Phone 3) - the entire collection in WAV from 16/44 up to 24/192 - is played through any player (your preference!). I don’t twitch with switching songs along the way, but I choose on the player either a specific album, or a folder, or a playlist according to my mood. At traffic lights or at a stop, you can also change the choice on your smartphone.
- on the second smartphone I got navigation as well - there are several different program options. All hints along the route are superimposed on the playing music, so don't miss the turn! And the map does not disappear on smartphone with incoming calls.
- adjusting the volume and tone of music and level of navigation’s sound - nominally on the Head Unit.
- the sound from the parking sensors works properly.
- muting the sound when reversing - nominally!
- turn off music and navigation’s sound for incoming calls via BT - regularly. And at the same time, the navigator map on the smartphone does not disappear - you can also navigate by it during a conversation. Although, this is rather a plus of the second smartphone ...
- when the ignition is turned off, all new blocks are turned off and I reset all modes, so that the next time I turn on my input selector, it will enter the standard (standard) sound mode in the car with the green indicator (LED) backlit in this mode.
About some negative:
- of course, there is no rewinding of tracks on the Head Unit or on the steering wheel in my scenario. I can't do it myself for sure! If someone is willing to give advice, I'm ready to talk.
- on the GU there is no indication of the name of the tracks and their numbers. Here I can't do anything myself.
- additional cable to the smartphone. It may be possible to connect “Raspberry” or a similar device to stream music without quality loss via WiFi-Cast. But here the question is - will the sounds from the navigation be superimposed? Wouldn't want to lose it! In general - a field for reflection, study and, possibly, further development.
From the already existing new ideas for myself and for the members of the forum:
- see how YouTube, SoundCloud and other online players run on a smartphone in such a connection with the Head Unit behave. At their expense, the user's functionality can greatly expand even without additional devices. Otherwise, our Freelander 2 somehow ignored such novelties as CarPlay and others.
- a new generation based on the already created one - to work out the option of laying the selector board directly into the GU, making only one SPDIF (maybe coaxial) input for an alternative source. Then you only need to output the wires of the switch button (and possibly LEDs for indication). In this case, it will not be necessary to run cables around the cabin, but it will be necessary to find a place in the car interior for an external selector button (possibly with a built-in indication). Then instead of the second block - just a Thunderbolt / COAXIAL cable. You can start it without optics - there is free space for one FAKRA connector on the lower PG board.

Click image to enlarge

I already soldered an additional FAKRA connector on my Head Unit as COAXIAL IN (yellow at the bottom right next to the blue one - Freelander has a metal plug here). I removed the back wall with an additional hole under it from VOLVO’s Head Unit - it was somehow used there).

- searching for an opportunity to replace the picture on the screen of the PG (video from DVD) with a picture from a smartphone through the second unit already installed on me (the one that is an HDMI splitter: it divides the incoming HDMI signal into "HDMI video out" + "SPDIF audio out") when you switch to listening to music from a smartphone. Then the picture from the navigation from the smartphone would be duplicated, or the playing track or its cover would be visible. There was once a publication about the development of a replacement picture for the navigator mode with a substitution in FAKRA cables, but lost the source. But there, it seems, the navigation was in a separate block - from that it was possible to change the signal in the FAKRA cable going to the Head Unit. But in IAM2.1 level3, all navigation is built into the Head Unit with HDD. In general, the mode of not very necessary navigation with ancient maps is also an unplowed field for an alternative.
Thank you all for your interest in my posts!
Once again - Happy New Year everyone!!! MY13 SD4 HSE Lux
IAM2.1 Level 3
Meridian Premium Surround Sound with Extra Upgrade

Post #428459 4th Jan 2023 5:34 pm
alex_pescaru

Nice post and accomplishment!
Happy New Year to you too!

Post #428489 5th Jan 2023 12:21 pm
FL2Vano

Russia 

Thank you! MY13 SD4 HSE Lux
IAM2.1 Level 3

Post #428491 5th Jan 2023 12:31 pm
FL2Vano

Russia 

After SPDIF adding to IAM I have added Video automatic replacement for DVD signal as well - mirror for all pictures from the same smartphone. Pls see the below examples with mirror for Navigation, media player and YouTube (but without possibility to make control from Head Unit Display to smartphone back):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Instead of smartphone it could be connected any other source with video through RCA/FAKRA cable.
If disconnect smartphone or no signal from another source so you can see how picture comes back to signal from DVD automatically.

PS It could be great if somebody could share info about LCD resolution on DH52-10E889-AH. I have got incorrect picture sizes now. MY13 SD4 HSE Lux
IAM2.1 Level 3

Post #432835 28th May 2023 9:31 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Fantastic piece of work.

I've always been of the view that the Gen2.1 IAM could offer a lot more. This proves it!

Post #433052 2nd Jun 2023 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1