Home > My Freelander 2 > Non starter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jim hitchcock

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Non starter

Hi all
I’ve owned my fl2 for the last 4 years with no problems at all! Broke down on holiday, rac said electrical problems! Was turning over but wouldn’t fire! Once towed home it started up again but temp gauge read high on start and fan running on stone cold engine. Local garage fitted sensor plus said wiring to sensor needed attention ( tbh I can’t see where they have repaired anything) but it worked again for 5 days! Broke down again, this time no turning over at all! Lights come on the dash radio and other stuff works but that’s it! I’ve searched and searched and tried a few bit such as checking fuses, charging battery, fitting heavy earth strap, disconnecting battery over night but no good! I was advised to remove the starter which I did and snapped the small wire off , starter works with careful wiring straight off battery so need to repair it or replace! I checked the small cable with multimeter when button is pushed and it’s dead! I’ve also noticed my key isn’t going in and out of the ignition as it used to do , it’s slower and when I push button the green light surround goes out for a few seconds! Anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it’s a 2007 a bit crusty around the edges so not worth spending a fortune on but when working it’s a great car that I don’t want to see go!
Cheers jim

Post #425378 18th Sep 2022 11:03 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi sounds electrical for sure,is your key ok ? They have been known to swell up a bit.

Post #425380 18th Sep 2022 11:23 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Need to get a code reader on it to confirm but probably something fairly simple like a crankshaft position sensor. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #425383 18th Sep 2022 12:24 pm
Jim hitchcock

Hi
Cheers for your replies. I’ve checked the key swelling thing already so that isn’t the problem. Also the code reading idea sounds good but my code reader only reads code’s when the orange engine light is on so I will get it plugged in again at the garage as I have no orange light! Just got to wait for a starter motor to be delivered as it’s a lot more expensive to get the old one mended rather than a working replacement off eBay! I still think the ignition switch is something to do with it or power to it causing the slow intake and ejection of the key! I’ll let you know how I get on once I’ve had a diagnostic done
Cheers jim

Post #425453 20th Sep 2022 2:42 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Check the wiring harness under the air filter housing. The harness can wear against the chassis seem, which causes all sorts of odd issues.

The starter will only be the solenoid contactor, if it's clicking but not turning the engine over.
If it's not clicking, the issue is elsewhere.
If it is clicking, then the contactor set is available for about £25, and takes 20 minutes to install in your old starter. Thumbs Up 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #425456 20th Sep 2022 4:15 pm
Jim hitchcock

Hi
Starter motor tested and fitted! Another diagnostic test done and no codes! No clicking at starter motor on starting! Still dead and I have checked the wires under the air cleaner and I can’t see any damage at all!
The key is still going in and out slower than it used to do! I’ve also had a good look at all the connections around the engine bay and in the footwells and everything looks ok!
I haven’t touched the ignition switch or starter button
I just can’t seem to work it out! Electrical problems are the worst!
Jim

Post #425497 22nd Sep 2022 2:25 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The steering lock is interlocked with starting and has been known to cause problems.

Post #425499 22nd Sep 2022 3:30 pm
Jim hitchcock

Hi
Thanks for all the suggestions but I think I’m going to have admit defeat! I’ve done many repairs over the years nearly all mechanical and nothing has defeated me yet!
I’m not going to spend anymore money on this one so either sell as a non runner or keep for spares until I can buy another in the new year
Cheers everyone Jim

Post #425563 25th Sep 2022 2:03 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Just wondering what was the sensor replaced by the garage

Post #425564 25th Sep 2022 2:24 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
Re: Non starter

Jim hitchcock wrote:
Hi all
I’ve owned my fl2 for the last 4 years with no problems at all! Broke down on holiday, rac said electrical problems! Was turning over but wouldn’t fire! Once towed home it started up again but temp gauge read high on start and fan running on stone cold engine. Local garage fitted sensor plus said wiring to sensor needed attention ( tbh I can’t see where they have repaired anything) but it worked again for 5 days! Broke down again, this time no turning over at all! Lights come on the dash radio and other stuff works but that’s it! I’ve searched and searched and tried a few bit such as checking fuses, charging battery, fitting heavy earth strap, disconnecting battery overnight but no good! I was advised to remove the starter which I did and snapped the small wire off , starter works with careful wiring straight off battery so need to repair it or replace! I checked the small cable with multimeter when button is pushed and it’s dead! I’ve also noticed my key isn’t going in and out of the ignition as it used to do , it’s slower and when I push button the green light surround goes out for a few seconds! Anyway any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it’s a 2007 a bit crusty around the edges so not worth spending a fortune on but when working it’s a great car that I don’t want to see go!
Cheers jim

Has the wiring to the sensor been checked or replaced?
(you don't seem to mention it again)

Also -- almost everything is interconnected, and there will be lots of prestart checks that will stop the car being given the start signal. You need a proper diagnostic readout of codes, almost certainly, your FL2 knows why it doesn't want to obey your Start Request.

If it tells you where to look it may be a simple straight forward fix.

Don't give up yet, all faults are simple once you find them! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #425565 25th Sep 2022 4:34 pm
Jim hitchcock

Thanks for your words of encouragement!
I going to have a good look if I can find the location of the temp sensor and garage said that they had sorted the wire out!
My slight problem is having to tow car to the garage so I’ll try another garage I think! I’ve already spent 100 on 2 diagnostics

Post #425567 25th Sep 2022 6:07 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It would pay you to purchase the Autel maxi 200

Post #425571 25th Sep 2022 7:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1