« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil and filter change. Calendar or Mileage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
thehelper

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Oil and filter change. Calendar or Mileage

Hi. I normally change my engine oil and filter every 12 months. However, I only do about 5,000 miles per year, mostly short journeys plus around 800 miles of caravan towing. As I hate changing that bloody filter, I'm thinking of ignoring the 12month change and waiting for 7,000 miles . This would take me nicely into spring and the beginning of the towing season. What do you all think?
Auto with 130k on the clock.

Post #424955 5th Sep 2022 12:26 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Calendar

Post #424956 5th Sep 2022 12:37 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

If you are mostly only doing short runs then I would chang the oil every 12 months or sooner you could consider changing the filter every other oil change? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #424959 5th Sep 2022 1:08 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Oil and filter change. Calendar or Mileage

thehelper wrote:
Hi. I normally change my engine oil and filter every 12 months. However, I only do about 5,000 miles per year, mostly short journeys plus around 800 miles of caravan towing. As I hate changing that bloody filter, I'm thinking of ignoring the 12month change and waiting for 7,000 miles . This would take me nicely into spring and the beginning of the towing season. What do you all think?
Auto with 130k on the clock.

We've only done 4500 miles in the FL2 over the last year - doesnt get used for trips of just a few miles except very occasionally.
I will wait until its done 6K miles before changing the oil & filter. These modern oils are good for extended service intervals so running to 18 months will do no harm I'm certain. Jules

Post #424965 5th Sep 2022 3:57 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

7000 miles would be fine normally. The towing would put me over the edge to just replace it at 12 months/5K though. That's what I do, and I do tow. I never make it 12 months though, always hit the mileage first.

Post #424967 5th Sep 2022 4:29 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Oil and filter change Calendar or Mileage

Well good question, me personally with approximately 5000 per annum with 800 miles of that towing I always change the engine oil and filter every year, experiencing the once in a lifetime egr replacement with the agony of re alignment of body members wouldn’t like to replace the turbo let alone buy one.
So my advice is to suffer the pain and change the oil and filter every year, and wishing I’d done the auto gearbox oil sooner that is now a once a year as well as the engine.

I’m so guilty neglecting the auto gear oil as the main dealer advised (“lifetime oil), I’d wished the oil was flushed years ago, but anyway if you look after the car driving it with respect it should last this so called Life time! Now it’s so easy to change the gearbox oil and at the same time engine oil and filter just for peace of mind.

Post #424974 5th Sep 2022 9:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Time is the answer for me

I change my oil and filter every six months and if I could be convinced to let the oil go longer then I would still change the filter every 6 months.

I did go just past 1 year because of COVID on my Audi 2.0T and the filter element was crushed. There are a few different things that can do this but one of them is particulates in the engine oil that blocks the filter and then the oil pressure crushes the filter. It is also possible that the bypass valve in the housing is sticking and the pressure gets too high. I did change the housing just in case and I haven't seen a crushed filter since but I wouldn't want to operate the engine with a crushed filter.

So every six months I inspect the filter and I replace it and I put in fresh oil.

Take care

Paul

Post #424977 5th Sep 2022 9:38 pm
amerclarke

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

That bloody filter 😆 Al C

Post #424982 6th Sep 2022 5:07 am
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Oil and filter change Calender or mileage

Yes that filter, what I do is remove the intercooler pipe having previously positioned the pipe clamps to access, also last time I timed this was to remove the fans, 7 mins to remove them taking time with the wiring as the little connector shown by one of Gasman’s photos.
You can then easily do the filter without losing skin, abrasive tempers and the usual what was landrover thinking siting this here!
Simples, plus you can have a look around and remove any bugs, leaves and suchlike crap caught over the summer months and winter depending when you do this, over time this becomes less of a pain and less of a chore.
Hope this assists with many of you?

Post #424988 6th Sep 2022 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

I've never found the filter to be a problem at all if got from underneath - plenty of access room if you have a flexihead spanner of the right size Thumbs Up

I certainly wouldn't be removing fans or anything else to get at it!! 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #424991 6th Sep 2022 9:30 am
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Same here if you use the correct flexi head ratchet spanner its easy just gently push the rubber turbo pipe to one side comes out easy and I have big hands ! ! 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #424994 6th Sep 2022 10:20 am
thehelper

I'm not saying it's to difficult to change the filter. I have the correct spanner and it only takes a few minutes. I just find, as I get older, I find it more uncomfortable, and usually manage to get oil running down my arm.
After consideration this for a while and reading all your posts, I have decided to postpone the service until 7,000k. If the filter looks distorted at this time, I will report back and change to annual changes. Though realistically neither oil or filter are likely to deteriorate with age (within reason). It is the mileage and use that matters.

Post #425010 6th Sep 2022 5:26 pm
thehelper

I'm not saying it's to difficult to change the filter. I have the correct spanner and it only takes a few minutes. I just find, as I get older, I find it more uncomfortable, and usually manage to get oil running down my arm.
After considering this for a while and reading all your posts, I have decided to postpone the service until 7,000k. If the filter looks distorted at this time, I will report back and change to annual changes. Though realistically neither oil or filter are likely to deteriorate with age (within reason). It is the mileage and use that matters.

Post #425011 6th Sep 2022 5:29 pm
thehelper

BossBob wrote:
Calendar

Why do you say Calendar. Is there some logic or just a preference. Surely to!e does not cause oil or filters to deteriorate.

Post #425012 6th Sep 2022 5:34 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Because the recommended service interval is based on a time or mileage, whichever is reached first! So a high mileage car would have to be serviced more often than annually, and a low mileage car, which was the question that was posed, would be serviced annually.

Post #425014 6th Sep 2022 5:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>