« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 Brake Lights; A Story
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Clyno

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Freelander 2 Brake Lights; A Story

I have a 2012 six cylinder Freelander 2. The plastic lenses on that model are clear so the brake light globes are red. The side pins are also offset.

A year ago I had a brake globe go so I went to my local car parts shop where I was informed that they could help if I bought a clear bulb (Packet of two) then spray it with lens dye, a substance hitherto unknown to me. Anyway, it did the job but I had to file off one of the offset lugs to make it fit.

Recently the other brake light globe went, so I contacted WA's only Land Rover dealer where I was quoted $Au242.00 for two globes (supply only) and they would take three days from Sydney.

Now I have a great auto electrician so I went to see him. Within 90 minutes he had two red globes delivered by courier (along with other stuff he had ordered) He discovered that the terminals where the globe sits were also dirty, so cleaned those, filed off one offset lug and it worked a treat. I gave him twenty bucks.

The other thing that I need to explain is that when I had earlier attempted to use my one year old spray dye, the can refused to work so in an attempt to make a new clear bulb red, I dipped it into red paint. This was a mistake as I learned that these globes run very hot. It was fortuitous that the terminals were dirty and a circuit was not made otherwise there could have been a fire. So I don't know how much the " genuine" globes cost overseas but just advising there is an alternative to paying big bucks. I would be interested to know if anyone else with my model Freelander 2 has had any brake globe replacement issues.

Post #424065 10th Aug 2022 3:00 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

No different to my A3+ Xerox printer years ago. They wanted about $1000 for a memory card. The printer cost about $4000. Went to a computer shop I had been using for years, about $80. Badge engineering at its best!

LR original bulbs are Philips or Osram. LR original starter battery in my car was an Exide. Pull a few things out of the car and they will have Ford stamped on the back. Roof rack rubber strips have Volvo on the back.I haven't looked but the external light fittings probably come from Bosch or the like. Pretty much like every car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #424070 10th Aug 2022 7:14 am
Badger51

Australia 

Why wouldn’t you just go to Supercheap & buy a pair for $7… (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #424075 10th Aug 2022 8:11 am
Clyno

Australia 2012 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Just saw this. RE my globes. I went to Super cheap. They only had plain globes with the pins I wanted. So I bought those plus a can of lens dye. A year later when one of them went I replaced the globe with a seven dollar one that I ordered from my auto electrician. He filed off one of the offset pins and it worked.

Post #426473 3rd Nov 2022 12:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1