« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Transmission Control Module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Scarecrow

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Transmission Control Module

Hello All. I have an ATF leak that seems to be coming from under the TCM. I found a thread from a few years back under the “My Freelander” section where someone had exactly the same, and there was a gasket/O ring they suspected was the culprit.

http://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/userpics/13868/151.jpg

I’m trying to remove the TCM to take a look but can’t work out how to disconnect the selector rod. It just looks like it’s pushed onto a ball joint on the lever from the TCM, but I’ve pulled as hard as I dare on a 15-year old plastic fitting and it doesn’t want to budge! The Haynes manual talks about pressing a release button but I can’t find any sign of one. Without removing the rod I can’t get to the rear TCM mounting bolt.

Can anyone tell me how the rod is attached/removed please? I’m sure this is ridiculously simple but I don’t want to force it and end up with a snapped joint and no gear change! I’ve soaked it in plus gas and will give it another go tomorrow but some confirmation of whether I’m doing the right thing would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Post #423675 28th Jul 2022 8:42 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

The release button is on the round connector on the rod before the TCM and has nothing to do with the TCM connector. as such

I tried to pull mine up but it didn't budge so I gingerly levered it up with a screw driver.

Just wondering Are you sure it's a gearbox fluid leak or is it coolant coming from the thermostat pipes/area.

After a run feel underneath the thermostat and pipe connections for wetness.

Post #423682 29th Jul 2022 6:12 am
Scarecrow

Thanks for the reply! Is it released by pressing on the circular bit on top of the plastic connector then? I can’t see anything that looks like an actual button.

Yes I’m sure it’s ATF. Coolant was my first thought too but it’s oily, and I found drips in the skid plate where it had run round the front of the gearbox. Very similar colour to the coolant!

Post #423746 31st Jul 2022 4:29 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Did you feel under and around the thermostat housing for coolant, particularly where the hoses go into the housing after a run?

There is no release button on the rod end

Post #423759 31st Jul 2022 6:45 pm
Scarecrow

Pretty confident it’s not coolant, I replaced the thermostat last year so have a reasonable idea where all the coolant goes and where leaks could be. After cleaning every drop of orange goop off it reappeared in one place only, coming out from underneath the TCM, and all the hoses etc were bone dry as far as I could tell. A dekko under the TCM should tell me for sure. I’m away without the car at the moment but will try your trick with the screwdriver when I get home. I was thinking of trying that but wanted some reassurance it wasn’t a daft idea before I broke something!

Post #423848 3rd Aug 2022 6:07 pm
Scarecrow

After letting plusgas soak in all week the selector arm came off so I could remove the TCM. Underneath it looks like fluid is leaking from around the TCM electrical connector rather than the shaft seal. Only a slow seep it would seem so will see if some silicone sealant stops it!

Post #424211 13th Aug 2022 3:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1