« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Crank speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just wanted to clear up another post.
Haven't been able to do anything with the positive battery to starter cable yet. Very difficult to get parts.
However, I have replaced the factory fit original 170amp starter earth return cable with a 240amp one and replaced the starter motor again. Car now starts and as a bonus the stop start now functions again.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #422645 23rd Jun 2022 10:39 pm
Luke G

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Narvik Black

So I solved my slow cranking problems by replacing the fuse on the positive cable coming from the battery. I like everyone else have been plagued by a slow crank in winter time and had put the additional earth cable on which partially solved the problem. I then had the inline fuse blow on the positive cable and baulking at the price of replacing it with a Land Rover one spoke to the auto electrician who recommended the photographed solution. It has worked a treat, it’s winter over here and it starts like it is summer time. The autoelectrician reckons the original (and genuine) fuse was 150amp which was restricting current to the starter, particularly in winter. In researching I found Volvo has a similar set up and they upgraded their inline fuse from 150 to 200 amp for the same reason.

Post #422692 25th Jun 2022 5:51 am
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Luke
That's very interesting. It also makes a lot of sense.
Is that fues assembly generic or was it a genuine Volvo part. Thumbs Up
On the subject of auto electricians, I also spoke to one regarding this. His answer was to just take it out and replace with an uprated cable battery - starter - alternator. Not quite sure of that though.

Quick edit.
Just looked on eBay and there are loads of options for that fues assembly, starting at around £14. Very Happy Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #422710 25th Jun 2022 7:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12