« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fascia Rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black
Fascia Rattle

I thought I would post this, since you never know if others will be effected.
I've had a rattle that appeared to be coming from the LH speaker cover in the dashboard fascia. After slowly dismantling that part ( speaker cover, air vent, A pillar airbag cover) the rattle was as persistant as ever.
It had the sound of plastic vibrating, which just couldn't be traced inside.

The source was the top mounting bracket of the LH front wing ( i.e. outside the passenger compartment) vibrating against the bottom of the A Pillar at certain road speeds and surfaces.

A quick 'adjustment' and all was well.

I cannot imagine the dealer getting to that one ever.

Radio now back at normal levels.

Post #41916 12th May 2009 8:28 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I have what sounds like a very similar problem, its driving me nuts and Mrs Avtur is getting fed up of pushing and prodding bits of interior e erytime she is a passenger in the car. My big problem is that she can't drive the FL2 so I have no option ofr getting soemne else to drive while I attempt to daignose.

Thanks for the post will take a look. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #41928 12th May 2009 10:23 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

avtur wrote:
I have what sounds like a very similar problem, its driving me nuts and Mrs Avtur is getting fed up of pushing and prodding bits of interior e erytime she is a passenger in the car. My big problem is that she can't drive the FL2 so I have no option ofr getting soemne else to drive while I attempt to daignose.

Thanks for the post will take a look.

I often wonder (why in this case) when some information posted leads my thoughts away from what is actually the point being made in the post Whistle
Similarly to Nicks staining blue Jeans (on another thread) Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #41938 13th May 2009 7:31 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Re: Fascia Rattle

AndyP wrote:
I cannot imagine the dealer getting to that one ever

You're right Andy and to make things worse they always state you're the first person EVER to bring it to their attantion. Followed by we've carried out a software update!! Shocked Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #41952 13th May 2009 11:02 am
ant

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Baltic Blue

I think this may be a problem that I am experiencing, and just wondered where said bracket is located etc. It would be great to get rid of the rattle, as several clearances of the glove box have not resolved it, and my wife is also fed up of prodding and poking!
Any advice as to access etc gratefully received FL2 TD4 S Baltic Blue, with twin electrics and towbar, roofrails, luggage cover, spare wheel and mudflaps.

Post #41973 13th May 2009 10:09 pm
AndyP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I'll try & describe it, if it makes no sense I'll post up some photos later this weekend.

The test to see if the wing is the cause of the rattle is sharply tap the top of the wing , right next to the A pillar, above the grill/ flasher. Difficult to describe the noise, but if you have the rattle , then you will hear a noise that sounds as though something is loose.

Then pop the bonnet (hood) and you#'ll see right below the windscreen a screw that fastens the wing to an underlying bracket. If you pull up on that fixing , while tapping you'll notice the diffrence. I used some water pipe insulation to jam underneath that fixing as a trial fix. If that cures the rattle , then you can apply more force to bend the bracket away from the A pillar ( or just leave the foam in place~Smile )

Post #42040 15th May 2009 8:26 pm
Hooky

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

This si the second post today I've read and had the exact same issue. The rattle, in my case same location but only at low revs, i.e. slow manoeuvring, sounds like a metal cable or something resonating under the dash. Thanks for the useful post, I'll give the fix a try. Also available in Clean.

Post #42045 16th May 2009 9:47 am
butlerpeter

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Good spot Andy!

I've had a rattle for a while now and, after reading your post, while I had the bonnet up to fill up the washer bottle I thought I'd have a look and see if your explanation was a possible reason.

It seems that it was - that top screw securing the wing (is it just me or are those screws about 1/4" too long?) was very close to the underlying plastic.

A slight 'tweak', slightly bending the mounting point up and it seems to be better now.

Now if I can only sort out the rattle coming from the top seatbelt mounting, right by my ear, I'll be happy!

Post #42069 17th May 2009 10:09 am
albert frederik

Netherlands 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Narvik Black

Good evening Andy,

Thx for the tip, look likes the screw is too long and i noticed a little wear on where the screw is/was touching the a pillar.

Great job man, we also spend a lot of time hammering the dash trying to find this rattle!!

Regards Albert Frederik.

Post #42084 17th May 2009 8:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1