« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > End of an era
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
End of an era

Yesterday my wife and I sold our Freelander 2, which we have owned for nearly 9 years. It's been the best car we've ever owned (despite needing a new diff and new PTU at 100,000 miles) and I am missing it already.

We have "gone electric" and now own a Renault Zoe R135, which I have to admit is a lovely car to drive, but we've owned Land Rovers continuously for the last 21 years and it's going to be difficult living without one.

So I will remain as a "lurker" on this forum and maybe one day I'll be an owner again.

I can't go without saying thanks to everyone on this forum for their help and advice over the years. This has been a friendly and helpful place to be, in an increasingly hostile world!

Tim

Post #419506 14th Mar 2022 11:08 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Good luck with your move away to the other side, Wink
the Freelander is indeed a hard act to follow,
I keep looking myself and do wonder just how much I'll miss driving a
Land Rover. Neutral DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #419509 14th Mar 2022 12:31 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

After having my Freelander for the last 12+ years I felt it was time to move on so ordered a Tesla Y last November. I was not sure that I had done the right thing as I loved the Freelander. However since picking up my Y on the 4th of March I am now getting used to it and not missing the Freelander as much as I thought I would. So Tesla now have my 2009 Freelander which will no doubt turn up at auction somewhere.

Thanks for all the help over the last 12 years. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #419537 15th Mar 2022 5:57 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Our next car will be electric. In 2017 installed 3 phase to the garage as did all the other owner in our block of units. But I would like a taller car. That's a main point in getting the Freelander. I simply do not want to get down into a car, too old for it & was sick & tired of surrounded by tall cars in traffic.

https://www.teslaowners.org.au/round-aust-list

https://thedriven.io/2022/02/11/mad-max-po...-marathon/

Biggest problem in Australia is government is in all pockets of fossil fuel companies. People are getting on with changing to EV regardless of being nobbled from every direction by government. Including per km driven taxes for EVs, vast distances down under hurts, even though they pay higher than their fair share of new car taxes as EVs are more expensive to start with. They have paid their tax up front.

Enjoy your new car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #419539 15th Mar 2022 6:46 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

How does the per km tax work?

We all know of a man who can "correct" the digital readout to say whatever you want, so someone driving 30,000 miles a year (me) could have the speedo corrected to show 10,000 miles per year.

Crippling sim cards is easy if the car is reporting back to the authorities - ask any of the thieving so and so's that disable tracking on stolen cars. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #419550 16th Mar 2022 12:49 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

i work for a roadside recovery /repair company,and plugged in to a vehicle to read fault codes,the mileage was about 60000,but the ecu i was communicating with said the fault occurred at 98000!so there are various ecus that all need mileage correcting,not just the engine ecu.

Post #419560 16th Mar 2022 7:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Re: End of an era

tim_roberts wrote:
Yesterday my wife and I sold our Freelander 2, which we have owned for nearly 9 years.

So I will remain as a "lurker" on this forum and maybe one day I'll be an owner again.

We sold our FL2 in 2015 and changed to an Evoque. Kept it right up until last year. Apart from consumable items, we had no major problems with either of them. I'm still lurking here but I don't think I'll ever own another Land Rover. Petrol ones will be too expensive to run, electric ones will be too expensive to buy and diesel powered cars are being hounded out of existence. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #419561 16th Mar 2022 8:13 pm
Lightwater

Andy131 wrote:
How does the per km tax work?

In NSW each year when we renew the car's registration, the odometer distance is recorded.

In the State of Victoria, this year is introducing a 2.5 cent tax per km for EVs & hybrids. On average Australians travel 13,000 km per year, $325.00

When Australians buy a new car we pay tax up front. EVs are considerably more expensive due to the battery, so pay proportionally more tax. Then we have a luxury car tax & most EVs fall into this category. It is beside the point that the value of the car is because of luxury or a battery.

So EVs are paying a lot of tax up front & being hit with annual registration & per km tax. Other States are looking at the this as well. Part of our complex Federal/State tax system. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #419562 16th Mar 2022 8:34 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

But do EV cars pay tax on the fuel?

In the UK with diesel at £1.70 a litre, about half of that is tax, diesel is 84p, duty is 58p and VAT is 28p.
So lets say 10,000 miles a year (mines 25-30k) and 40mpg (i wish) so 250 gallons = 1137 litres.
1137 litres x 86p = £977

Domestic electricity is 5% VAT so to generate the same revenue for the Govt, so the Ev is going to have to burn through £19,500 of electricity.

They have to get the revenue from somewhere.
With diesel / petrol it's easy, the further you drive, the more you use, the more you pay. With proper hybrids and EVs it's not that simple.

The mileage is stored in several modules, body control, engine management, gearbox to name but a few but the one that will count is the one that can be readily seen - the clocks. Fit a new engine and the dealer will reset the engine ECU down to zero (they did on the boys Audi), similar for the gearbox - the part that is warrantied needs to know how many miles it has done. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #419564 16th Mar 2022 11:30 pm
Lightwater

The dog's breakfast short guide down under!

In Australia there is 10% GST (VAT) on new cars, collected by the Federal Government, then passed onto the States in a complex brown paper bag arrangement!

Then on the new car each State charges an additional stamp duty (more tax)(every State has a different system), in NSW basically another 3% ($1615 when I bought the Freelander).

& Motor Vehicle Tax ($422). So 3 lots of tax.

Fuel

Petrol & diesel all grades have a flat 44.2 cents per litre tax which goes the Federal Government. So one is better off buying premium grade as you get more km per litre (even factoring in GST)

Then there is 10% GST on the fuel which is collected by the Federal Government & passed to the States in said brown paper bags.

Summary

So whether it is revenue from fuel or coins thrown into war memorials, it goes into consolidated revenue.

Roads

The Federal Government pays for the national highways. States pay for main roads. Councils pay for the majority of roads (which is difficult for country Councils due to the high ratio of roads to council rates, revenue is collected via council rates.

EVs

The tax collected up front from an EV, the break even point compared to an ICE car is very roughly 10 years.

EV per km tax

I think every State will introduce a km charge at some stage. Victoria is starting with 2.5 cents per km, & one can see this increasing! If you drive your Freelander in reverse the odometer still goes forward, so no help there!

EVs & solar

If you have your own solar, the Federal Government is panicking how to tax the free input, this would otherwise be 10% GST, like when one buys electricity from the network.

EVs as battery storage

More Government panic as this has the potential of reducing reliance on buying electricity from the grid.

Commercial vehicles

Utes over $69,000 do not pay the Federal Luxury car tax of an additional 33% over this value, that is why there are so many families with expensive utes. Buy an expensive Land Rover & you pay the extra. EV luxury tax starts at $79,000

Conclusion

Dog's breakfast in a rusty bowl with gaping hole down under! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #419566 17th Mar 2022 6:44 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

10 year break even point with ev?
Can't see them being too popular there, never mind the infrastructure issues which don't even bare thinking about. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #419569 17th Mar 2022 11:36 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
EVs can be charged directly for power used.

It seems that the mechanism to enable EVs to be charged tax on their electricity usage already exists via smart functionality of both chargers and the EVs themselves.

Like most things these days, once the system is hooked up to your credit card, it can take the tax you owe without bothering to further interrupt you - or let you know.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...e-fuel-tax

PS As with most of my Direct Debits / Standing Charges, I seem to becoming superfluous to the whole process of extracting cash from my bank account, once given permission I am just a onlooker! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #419578 17th Mar 2022 9:07 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Which is one reason we are presently sticking with our “granny charger”, the smart meter doesn’t know if your charging an EV or boiling a kettle or heating the house with storage heaters, but a Smart meter WILL be able to communicate with the new EVSE units (7kw home chargers) and tell the supplier your using that electricity to charge a vehicle.

Some people say “nah that’ll never happen” the Gov have got to recover the reduction in wet fuel tax from somewhere, and they’ll never be able to put enough road pricing infrastructure in to recover it, Motorways will be easy but all those millions of miles of B and minor roads we use? Nah. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #419590 18th Mar 2022 11:08 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
10 year break even point with ev?
Can't see them being too popular there, never mind the infrastructure issues which don't even bare thinking about.

Ours broke even after 5 years, we were saving £1800 a year just in fuel, and the residue value is far more than our previous oil burner was after six years, far more!

On the long distance stuff, this is why JLR are developing hydrogen EV power for long distance work and remote areas, although still whether you’ll be able to find a hydrogen supplier in the middle of the Amazon is debatable Whistle Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #419591 18th Mar 2022 11:12 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Couldn’t you take your own supply of hydrogen on such a long trip Wink
Reminds me of my Nan many years ago when my dad was loading up a camper for our summer trip and he wondered if one gas cylinder would suffice. She suggested we take some more in a lemonade bottle, bless her.

Post #419607 18th Mar 2022 3:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>