« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Loan car for the day........TD4_e
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Loan car for the day........TD4_e

You be supprised to hear my car is back in the garage again for some more warranty work Evil or Very Mad

This time drivers seat movement, aircon compressor noise, excessive cooling fan running after switching off

So they gave me a TD4_e to drive round in.

I hate it....... on first impressions

pull up to junction, take out of gear, clutch up come to complete halt..... engine switches off

Roads clear.... so clutch 1st gear....... NOTHING absolutley zip as if the car didn't react quick enough

I had to dip the clutch again to start it missing my slot in the traffic Evil or Very Mad

Driving back it keep flashing a rather distracting Green Arrow to tell me to change up a gear too Evil or Very Mad

So if i was pulling out onto main road of a side road on a slope, been too quick will make the car roll forward into traffic without the engine coming on..... A ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN Neutral

I was taught to drive with the car always in gear so taking it out of gear is all a little strange if you ask me

Buy it to save money on the lower tax banding, but i wouldn't buy it to have the Start/stupidness system Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41880 12th May 2009 10:25 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you should take the car out of gear while waiting in traffic, keeping your foot on the clutch with the engine running will wear out your thrust bearing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #41881 12th May 2009 10:57 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

if its going to be a long wait i will take out of gear, but in all the years of driving i have never had a clutch go on my by keeping it in gear Wink

Whats the current standing on this, as when i passed my test, by not having the car in gear you was not in control of it and would fail your driving test. the only time to have it out of gear was whilst the hand brake was on and you was restarting the car after stalling it etc

Warning do not do your driving test in a Start/Stupid car Twisted Evil Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41883 12th May 2009 11:12 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Your finding doesn’t really surprise me at all Nick Thumbs Up .

My point of view: I can’t quite see the point of trying to save fuel in towns and cities if the vehicles being used are not meant for towns and cities. If the “powers to be” really wanted to save the environment etc. then all petrol and diesel private cars should be banned from towns and cities and only public and necessary transport allowed in. Cambridge is a typical example of what I consider to be an existing and possibly effective version of this, although it was primarily designed that way to relieve the parking situation. Of course normal urban driving should be allowed, so that we can all get from home to work etc., but if this is also going to be a problem then electric commuter vehicles is the answer. I don’t think that there will ever be so many stop’n’start vehicles on the road that are going to make any totally difference to the environment at all.

Outside cities I doubt if the Freelander 2 would be more fuel saving by using the _e version than a normal TD4. I recently tested my Freely on a long run (4-hours) to my mountain cabin and then two days of mainly low gear mountain driving, before the return journey home. All in all she averaged nearly 40mpg (39.79) for the whole weekend Very Happy . Checked against the Freelys computer and calculating from distance covered and fuel used the result was exactly the same. I made a note also exactly fuel usage on the run and the mountain crawling but have not converted this to MPG at present (we use Litres and Kilometres).

All in all I am very satisfied with the fuel consumption Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Last edited by AndyC on 13th May 2009 7:10 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #41889 12th May 2009 12:27 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Driving the _e for over amonth now I also personally doubt that it has any fuel consumption impact. I've gotten used to it mostly and don't really notice it that much anymore. Also the shift-a-gear-up arrow is not positioned well on the shifting point. When revving the car up somewhat higher (2500rpm) I get better mileage then when I shift on the arrow (1800rpm): 8.0 to 8.3 compared to 8.5 l/100kms. The sportier you drive it, teh less it consumes apparently. I think the trick is to get up to speed as quick as possible and then keep it around 2000rpm.

I always put the car in free and loosen the clutch when I can and if I'm in a traffic jam I just turn off the _e option, not becouse it annoys me or anything, just becouse I think it'll save the battery and starter, tough it should be designed for that. Maybe I should just let it go and just let it turn itself off as intended.

Anyway after a stop of 3 or 4 closely together it restarts on itself or doens't stop anyway.

The only problem I seem to have is, and I used to do it myself, is that drivers that near a red light seem to gradually brake and drive very slowly towards it while for the _e it would be better to just pull up to it and let the car turn itself off. This results mostly in the fact that just when the car turns itself off, the light jumps to green.

Another thing that I noticed is, tough not related to the _e version only, everybody seems to drive slower then when I drove amongst them with my previous car. But that's just perception becouse of the power and silence the FL2 has.

Post #41895 12th May 2009 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have also noticed it has

instant mgp reading aswell as the average but that might be just the MY09 im in Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41896 12th May 2009 1:34 pm
oakwood

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

re: Zone30. As a Brit having lived 4.5 years in Belgium, what I still miss is the 'red and amber' before green (as we get in UK). This means that when at the front of the queue for the lights, you are under great pressure to react immediately and pull away. If too slow, someone will toot. This encourages you to keep in 1st gear with the clutch down, instead of neutral and hand brake. I think the UK lights system must better compliement the stop/start system (which I will get on my new order in about 3 weeks).

I'm surprised at npink's training. When I did my driving test in England in the early 80s, I was taught to always put in neutral and pull on handbrake, whenever stationary. I still do it out of habit. My French father-in-law scoffs at me for doing it, and claims I will damage something if I do!

The other thing I miss here is that there is rarely a traffic light on the oposite side of the jucntion for easy-viewing. Again, when at the front of the queue, you have to crane your head awkwardly to keep an eye on the light, and be ready to pull away 'immediately'!

Post #41915 12th May 2009 8:25 pm
zone30

Maybe you're right. If only it was a european descision to make traffic rules the same all over europe, LHD included. It would make car building also cheaper as they do not need to built awkward RHDs.

Post #41920 12th May 2009 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

well the cars back at the dealers and i have my car back with no faults found Rolling Eyes

On dropping the keys back at the service reception one of the sales guys was walking past and asked what i thought my thoughts was

The handbrake works alot better than mine and the start stop system wasn't for me, but since they don't do it in a automatic yet I have nothing to worry about Smile I think it will be something that will grow on you over time, its just so different when your not used to it. Dropped the hint that i am thinking of something a little bigger next and enquired when they will have a Discovery 4 in stock for me to look at Whistle even if its just to browse at for the time been Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41921 12th May 2009 9:28 pm
AndyC

Shocked Dropped the hint that i am thinking of something a little bigger next and enquired when they will have a Discovery 4 in stock for me to look at Shocked

Who is gonna take over as Site Moderator when ya gone Question Question Question Question
Best forget bigger drives and the like Bow down Bow down Bow down , as you can just imagine how the forum will turn out (not mentioning any names, colours, dislikes etc) Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #41934 13th May 2009 7:09 am
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

npinks wrote:

instant mgp reading aswell as the average but that might be just the MY09 im in

Now that's interesting! My MY09 doesn't have that so it must be a _e thing. Unless there's a software update that could add it. 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #41940 13th May 2009 7:44 am
AndyC

Frobius wrote:
npinks wrote:

instant mgp reading aswell as the average but that might be just the MY09 im in

Now that's interesting! My MY09 doesn't have that so it must be a _e thing. Unless there's a software update that could add it.

Whats the difference Question The average reading on mine is also the instant reading as far as I can make out 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #41941 13th May 2009 7:48 am
zone30

If you put the pedal to the metal, you'll know. Also it shows you how to drive more economical. I noticed that if you keep the car in gear above 2000rpm you get the best economy as well as ready power if neaded.

Also braking on the engine is more economical then pushing in the clutch and using the brakes alone. This also should extend the brake pads life span.

Post #41942 13th May 2009 8:02 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

the car also had the time been displayed in the same console too

The instant reading are just that instant so it jumped fromm 99.9mpg when coasting to 5.7mpg when flooring it Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #41947 13th May 2009 9:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1