« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Snow day in a Freelander 2 - Wayfarer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Geobloke

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
Snow day in a Freelander 2 - Wayfarer

Goodness after all the wind in the last few weeks, followed by the rain and floods over last weekend it blinking' snowed today... What a weird weather February we are having.

Anyway, it would be rude not to go and find some snow, so at lunch I jumped in Phoebe with the dogs and went in search. It was purely scientific you understand. This is the first snow since fitting a new set of Vredestein Quatracs tyres on the faithful Freelander.

Has the Wayfarer ever looked so dramatic? Goodness Wales is a stunning country.

I did not go all the way to the top for two reasons. The first is I was solo driving and the second is the final ascent was a dusting of snow on top of black ice all the way and then obviously back down again. Could I have got to the top? Yes I have little doubt of that, but I did not need to. So the dogs and I got a fab walk through the snow and frigid wind to the top. It was bitter up there. The thermometer in Phoebe read -3degC and the wind was somewhere around 20mph. Enough to lift lain snow and whip it in your face. So wind chill felt somewhere close to -10 degC I would think. Frigid...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I was glad I took a thermos of coffee up with me. Pi the dog was very much in his element...

Click image to enlarge

Noticeably, the storms of the past few weeks have carved some nice little washouts across the track. Nothing like they were the first time I drove this lane but a good Grade 1 technical drive just lifting the odd wheel lift but easy enough for the Freelander.

The other thing worth saying is that the Vredestein Quatracs tyres I fitted to Phoebe before winter are superb on this terrain and in these conditions. They are All season tyres and I am thrilled to pieces with them on and off road.

Post #418958 24th Feb 2022 5:53 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Great pics - nice winter scenery and super looking motor - thanks for sharing! Are the tyres regular Quatrac or Quatrac Pro just out of interest?

Post #418963 24th Feb 2022 7:37 pm
Geobloke

Quote:
Great pics - nice winter scenery and super looking motor - thanks for sharing! Are the tyres regular Quatrac or Quatrac Pro just out of interest?

Hello. Thanks, it was a lovely jaunt and apologies to one and all, Phoebe is filthy at the moment, but around these parts it is impossible to keep cars clean during winter. I have promised her a darned good pampering in a month or so Rolling Eyes

So these are the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres, not the straight Quatrac that have a uni-directional tread pattern. Really impressed with them. They have been truly excellent on road and coped brilliantly with the exceptional amount of water on the roads. We will see how they last and behave year around, but right now I am over the moon with them.

Post #418966 24th Feb 2022 9:02 pm
Richie

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Great pics! I too got to use snow mode for the first time today
 2014 Metropolis in Loire Blue

2014 TD4 XS in Loire Blue (Sold)

2007 HSE in Black (Now gone!)

Post #418973 24th Feb 2022 10:35 pm
Geobloke

Well that certainly looks like "I see your North Wales snow" and raise you "proper Scottish snow" Rolling with laughter

I am constantly impressed by the Freelander 2, truly an excellent all round vehicle.

Post #418977 25th Feb 2022 11:03 am
Richie

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Haha, not often something to be proud of. But yep, it is very very capable in the snow!

Great pics btw 2014 Metropolis in Loire Blue

2014 TD4 XS in Loire Blue (Sold)

2007 HSE in Black (Now gone!)

Post #418979 25th Feb 2022 11:10 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Great Pictures.

I have just been watching the TV show about the 3 month Big Freeze in 1962/63.

I wish that I had my Freelander then as I had to manage (quite well) with my Ford 100E Popular, using a couple of knobbly tyres, and 2 bags of sand in the boot.

So equipped I travelled the 270miles each way from Darlington to Bristol most weekends, before the luxury of Motorways.

A great way to learn how to keep a car going in slippery conditions. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #419021 25th Feb 2022 8:58 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Quote:
So these are the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tyres, not the straight Quatrac that have a uni-directional tread pattern. Really impressed with them. They have been truly excellent on road and coped brilliantly with the exceptional amount of water on the roads. We will see how they last and behave year around, but right now I am over the moon with them.

Good to know - thanks for that! I've been doing a bit of all-season tyre research recently and this one doesn't seem to do very well in the 'expert tests' but the owner reports are very positive indeed - which I would say means a lot more! Thumbs Up

Post #419049 26th Feb 2022 7:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1