« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Broadband Services.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Broadband Services.

I have Virgin media broadband which is going up 10% in March, why ?? I can understand inflation but at this moment with everything else that's going up.

Been with them for about 12 years but looking to maybe change to a cheaper service provider, I think I have 100mps with Virgin but dont think I really need this speed, most other providers dont match it but some offer 63 mps, some a bit lower & some slightly higher. I browse the internet, make purchases watch stuff on YouTube & stream the odd movie. I have done it but very rarely play the odd game on the Ubisoft/Steam app.

Do I really need 100mps & does anyone have any recommendations about other providers, Plusnet seems to have a following but what about Vodaphone BT & the others out there.

If anyone out there gets a good service without issues from another provider other than Virgin Media I would be interested to know. Thanks in advance for any help. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #418015 2nd Feb 2022 9:17 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I am with BT, only 20Mb it's reliable, not particularly cheap at £29/m including land line.
Yes I surf tinternet, stream the TV, "enjoy" teams video conferencing and have two cameras sitting on the WIFI. We have no phone signal, so the iPhones use the WIFI for calls without any noticeable quality loss. Haven't played any computer games since space invaders so have no idea how they would fare on 20Mb line. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #418017 2nd Feb 2022 10:53 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Broadband Services.

blueboy wrote:
I have Virgin media broadband which is going up 10% in March, why ?? I can understand inflation but at this moment with everything else that's going up.

Been with them for about 12 years but looking to maybe change to a cheaper service provider, I think I have 100mps with Virgin but dont think I really need this speed, most other providers dont match it but some offer 63 mps, some a bit lower & some slightly higher. I browse the internet, make purchases watch stuff on YouTube & stream the odd movie. I have done it but very rarely play the odd game on the Ubisoft/Steam app.

Do I really need 100mps & does anyone have any recommendations about other providers, Plusnet seems to have a following but what about Vodaphone BT & the others out there.

If anyone out there gets a good service without issues from another provider other than Virgin Media I would be interested to know. Thanks in advance for any help.

I get 18mbps download (the max possible for my copper landline)- I can surf , download, stream and play on-lines games without issue - but there are only two of us in the house, and SWMBO is not a heavy user.
I did have a lot of issues with variable speed which Vodafone failed to solve. I solved it by buying my own router and now all is OK.
Im currently paying Vodafone £29pm for my mobile phone (SIM only 1GB data, unlimited text and minutes), broadband and landline (SWMBO insists on having it due to our relatively rural location). Jules

Post #418018 2nd Feb 2022 11:04 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/26/broadband-b...ated-posts

All the Broadband providers are going up by around 10% in April.

Most of it due to inflation!

Post #418022 3rd Feb 2022 12:36 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Good to see that 18 & 20mps speeds work so well with daily computing tasks, I currently have 100mps but I think its waisted on me as never really use it that much.

Only thing that might need speed is when my wife talks to her family via video link in the Philippines but then again I dont think the speeds there are that great so 18 or 20 should be ok.

Thanks for the above replies & good to see other suppliers run a reliable service. 2014 Freelander 2 HSE Orkney Grey. Now sold.

I keep pushing the escape button but I am still here.

Post #418034 3rd Feb 2022 8:52 am
jules

We Whatsapp my daughter in Vic, Australia regularly using the router's Wifi - no problems.

Large updates can take a while to download. especially some games . Star Citizen has massive updates so I download them overnight.
We play also play Witcher 3, Kerbal Space Program, Titan Fall and Armor 3 without lag. My graphics card is the limiting factor ( a Nvidia Geforce GTX 970) Jules

Post #418038 3rd Feb 2022 10:12 am
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

Video calls only use about 2mbps, so 20 should be plenty.

As Jules says it will be downloading updates where you notice the limited speed.
In my opinion the main thing with choosing a provider is how easy it is to contact them when it all goes wrong and how good they are at fixing it. Here in East Yorkshire we are in the odd situation of having only one provider available, our local comms company KCom, they are relatively expensive too but at least you can ring up and get to talk to someone who knows what's going on. My parents are with BT and they have to go through an offshore call centre who have no clue about anything.

Post #418047 3rd Feb 2022 1:39 pm
jules

Vodafone is Customer service is poor in that its a bit like trying to get past your GP's receptionist.
The tedium of going through security, having to explain the problem numerous times , having to go through yet another round of line testing (there is nothing wrong with my line), being told they'll make changes to the router settings but it will take several days for it to take effect, scripted platitudes that the new settings will cure the problem - all drive one mad.
After numerous chats (probably 12 hours in total) I gave up and bought a new router. At no time would vodafone concede it might be a router issue or offer to test my hypothesis by sending a new router.

Further research indicates that the Vodafone (Hauwei) router is cheap and a poor performer. I installed a T-P Link router and everything was instantly back to normal. Jules

Post #418069 3rd Feb 2022 11:15 pm
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Been with BT Fibre for years - although I really don't like BT as a company the speed is fast enough for us and very reliable. Each time I look at changing to competitors friends advise me not to go with Talk Talk, Virgin etc cos they're poor! Been paying £31 a month inc landline. Just yesterday I phoned up to renew and screwed em down to £25, but subject to rise in April. It seems to be pot luck who answers the phone and what mood they're in as to the rate, so worth a call I would say!

Post #418074 3rd Feb 2022 11:42 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:

Further research indicates that the Vodafone (Hauwei) router is cheap and a poor performer. I installed a T-P Link router and everything was instantly back to normal.

Vodafone’s Huawei HHG2500 router has long since been replaced by the THG3000 router made by Technicolor. It is not much better than its predecessor though and Vodafone have locked down a number of user configuration options.

Based on my hitherto extremely reliable Superfast2 (63 Mbps - fastest available in my area) for £19/month, I am perfectly happy to use my own modem and mesh kit. No calls to VF support needed over the last three years or so since abandoning the THG3000.

Going by what I read about Vodafone support, I think I’d sooner tackle the harridan with permanent PMT and a vile hangover a.k.a the doctor’s receptionist Laughing

Post #418085 4th Feb 2022 10:07 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Vodafone here too. Superfast 2 for £19.50 per month. I get 55mps. More than fast enough for what we need. Emails, browsing, streaming movies and live sport. Never had any problems with it. Plenty of people round here have Virgin cable and it must break down at least twice a week! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 5th Feb 2022 9:10 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #418091 4th Feb 2022 12:32 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Steve D wrote:
Plenty of people round here have Virgin cable and it mist break down at least twice a week!

When I lived in west Essex, from dial up I went to Anglia Cable which became NTL which became Virgin Media.

NTL in its early days was great… you could actually speak with people in Cambridge who knew stuff and could not only fix it but were also genuinely helpful with it. Virgin Media though… possibly the joint equal worst utility company ever alongside Scottish Power (person opinion of course).

When VM cable broadband worked well it was the best available but when it fell over, which it did far too often, it was stuff of nightmares getting it fixed. When billing went wrong, a call to the Samaritans was usually the best option.

Now living in the southernmost end of the northern wastelands, there is no Virgin Media or FTTP option… just 67 Mbps (max) FTTC.

Post #418092 4th Feb 2022 1:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1