Home > Off Topic > Mechanic banned for false MOT certificates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Mechanic banned for false MOT certificates

https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-n...11-01-2022

Passed an MOT whilst the vehicle was in Spain !

I wonder how many other vehicles he's falsely given a MOT too. The owners should all get done too. Jules

Post #417013 13th Jan 2022 10:24 am
trw999

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It says in the article, Jules:

"Further investigations revealed that there were a further eight vehicles, including four vans, which had been issued MOT certificates by Smith, without ever having been at the garage. The certificates were issued between 15 January and 2 June 2021."

Tim

Post #417017 13th Jan 2022 10:49 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Double post. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 13th Jan 2022 11:52 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #417021 13th Jan 2022 11:49 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, it's quite common and all to easy. At the moment, they are discussing the possibility of introducing ANPR cameras into test bays to cut down on this. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #417022 13th Jan 2022 11:52 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I may be completely wrong, but I thought that the tester inserted a dongle into the OBD port so that it could get information about the revs & oil temperature. At this point it's not difficult to grab the CPU serial number. My guess is the garage is substituting the car "on test" with one from the carpark to get through the emissions test.

Multiple MOT tests with the same ECU serial number would be a bit of a give away. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #417024 13th Jan 2022 2:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

trw999 wrote:

"Further investigations revealed that there were a further eight vehicles, including four vans, which had been issued MOT certificates by Smith, without ever having been at the garage. The certificates were issued between 15 January and 2 June 2021."

Tim

Yes I saw that - but I doubt they are the only ones. Probably been at it years. Jules

Post #417027 13th Jan 2022 2:40 pm
trw999

No, they don't put a dongle into the OBD plug, neither do they have to coordinate the emissions test with the DVLA web site, other than to report its general pass/fail finding, as far as I know.

The individual tester has to log themselves onto the DVLA website to be able to fill out the pass/fail form, all of which is a tick box/drop down menu system, as far as I have observed. I believe the DVLA website automatically comes up with full vehicle details once the tester has logged in and entered the reg no.

Tim

Post #417029 13th Jan 2022 2:55 pm
trw999

jules wrote:
trw999 wrote:

Tim

Yes I saw that - but I doubt they are the only ones. Probably been at it years.

Quite likely, once a wrong 'un, always a wrong 'un.

Tim

Post #417030 13th Jan 2022 2:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

trw999 wrote:
No, they don't put a dongle into the OBD plug, neither do they have to coordinate the emissions test with the DVLA web site, other than to report its general pass/fail finding, as far as I know.
Tim

Must just be the garage that I go to, good on the old guy as he isn't revving the nuts off a car with cold oil - can see it displayed on the screen.
Been going to the same garage for 15+ years, MOTs is all he does, no remedial work, should have retired years ago, but since his wife died he does it more for the company than the money. Headlights out of alignment - he adjusts them rather than fail, I always get grief about how Censored LR products are, and then get a clean bill of health to his surprise. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #417031 13th Jan 2022 4:18 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

You don't have to measure the engine speed or oil temperature. In fact, it can be advantageous to NOT measure the engine speed as the engine can be held at the speed in which the CO and HC readings (on a petrol engine) will pass. That's on a BET. (Basic Emissions Test). If it fails that, you have to default to the full emission test which takes a bit longer and must be carried out at set engine speed ranges. Diesel engines just have a smoke test and a car can be passed by 'feathering' the throttle gently to raise the exhaust gas temperature (the only way the smoke meter knows the engine is being revved) instead of giving it a full pedal to the floor throttle test. Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #417148 16th Jan 2022 9:39 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

some Censored gave a false mot to a honda goldwing trike my mate bought.

Bill was buying the trike as a last hurrah because his motor neurone disease meant his balance was going.He sold his standard goldwing to fund the trike

Thanks to the sellar lying and the fake mot, Bill never got to ride the trike, as it took months to sort out the brakes and mot. made my effing blood boil at the time, still does.

Vosa got involved the trike was retested locally, the guy who illegally tested it was made to attend the retest. I think they threw the book at him.

The owners of the local mot garage, put in many hours of free labour trying to rectify the bike, but alas it was too late. Bills license was revoked by then

fake testers should be jailed

RIP Bill Neutral At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #417150 16th Jan 2022 11:51 am
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I fail to understand the logic behind fake tests after all once the snide vehicle is out on the road it my be a loved one of the snide tester involved in an accident caused by the said vehicle.

Post #417151 16th Jan 2022 11:59 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

They don’t think that far it’s all about the money.

Post #417152 16th Jan 2022 2:12 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I Like Chips wrote:
I fail to understand the logic behind fake tests after all once the snide vehicle is out on the road it my be a loved one of the snide tester involved in an accident caused by the said vehicle.

There have been always people with more money than sense.

I was once on a Sea Navigation course, which seemed to include an (well attended) after class session in a local pub, when having asked the instructor if he knew why of the students had stopped coming to the course.
He told us that the student, who was the owner of a rather nice large powerboat, had asked him how much it would cost to buy a Coastal Navigation Certificate, it seemed he was having difficulty understanding the course.
On being told no, we did not see the boat owner again.

It became a source of amusement among the rest of us, as we imagined him stranded on a rock by the receding tide, and waving his false certificate as a means of attracting attention.

Surely, it is more important to have your car independently checked, than save a few bob. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #417154 16th Jan 2022 5:40 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was told recently that a local tester lost his licence. Apparently a guy with his family turned up at the end of the day and said that he was on holiday and had just realised that his MOT had run out and could he do something to help. The tester had a quick look around and said OK and started filling in the paperwork. Turns out that it was a Dept of Transport Inspector and the tester lost his licence. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #417156 16th Jan 2022 5:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1