« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Humming noise from heater or dash area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Humming noise from heater or dash area

Good evening I was wondering if anyone has ever had a humming noise which is constant whatever the heater motor speed is, it goes off on speeds one through three, on full speed it’s quite loud but as I turn down the speed it doesn’t change it’s just this humming, like I say it doesn’t change with speed. Air is controllable through the vents.
Eventually the noise disappears after 15mins
I was thinking of a stuck flap or a blocked pollen filter?

Not able to investigate as the weather is so wet so just posted this tonight

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Post #416364 26th Dec 2021 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic36467.html

Post #416365 26th Dec 2021 10:15 pm
Germplus1

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Do you have start stop or auxiliary heater? Cars fitted with auxiliary heater or start stop have additional water pump which sometimes keeps the coolant circulation flowing when the start/stop is engaged.

They sometimes run for a while before shutting off depending on your climate setting or when the car is shut down just after start/stop operation. Regards,
Germplus.

2008SE
Memory seats
Webasto Fuel Burning heater with smart phone remote start
Premium Surround Sound
Xtron Unit with wireless CarPlay
Dual Battery System
DAB

Post #416367 26th Dec 2021 10:31 pm
davyboy

Thank you MotionInc,

Well that is the support we all benefit from ie a quick resolve to a very time consuming effort to replace the dam heater motor from someone who experienced and thought what a job it could have been. Just to drill a simple hole is excellent news, thank you again

I will report back of my success as soon as the weather changes

Just a question though did you have the humming noise but not a squeak?

Post #416368 26th Dec 2021 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davyboy

Dear Germ Plus, nope.

No is my answer, the car is a 2009 Hse auto, this only started making this humming noise Xmas Eve evening having not driven it for a couple of days, I just thought it’s a stuck flap or a blocked pollen filter as it just sounds like a restriction of air flow through a tube sound similar to a blockage in a henry hoover suction pipe, as it just started humming.

Then thinking about the task of removing the dash to access the motor, then Motion Inc advised his findings.

Like I say once this weather dries up I’m onto it. As I don’t like issues extending their un welcome invites !!!

Post #416369 26th Dec 2021 10:50 pm
davyboy

Humming noise from heater motor, Fixed!!!

Well, thank you all for replying to my heater motor hum and I have now found the culprit which in fact was a parts label which became stuck onto the vanes of the hamster cage, after I removed the wiper motor cover for full access to the air inlet/hamster cage drilling attempt I noticed something in the vanes, Well I wasn’t expecting what I found, a parts label from the wiper motor must have de glued itself over time and got sucked in. I made a 15mm plastic water pipe fit my Henry hoover hose with masking tape and sucked all the debris and label from the air intake.

Powered up the heater motor and hey presto No noise, Blinkin lucky don’t you think, while I was in the mood I removed and replaced the pollen filter which although was 12 months old was considerably blocked up with crap.

But thank you all for your previous advice, I’m replacing the nearside rear shock absorber and spring at the weekend as it was flagged up as rusty and flaky last MOT so parts are here ready to go.

Post #416717 5th Jan 2022 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1