Home > Technical > engine won't stay running
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
adamfshaw

United Kingdom 
engine won't stay running

Click image to enlarge

Hi, I'm desperately needing some help/advice if at all possible in regards to my Freelander 2.

So the slave cylinder failed a few weeks ago meening i needed a replacement clutch which was done a few days ago. Since then I drove to get fuel about 4 miles and had no issues at all, until I went to leave for work in it yesterday morning when it fired up and promptly cut out after 10 seconds or so. It then would crank but not fire until the key was removed and then reinserted when it would do the same thing, fire up then cut out.

I had the mobile mechanic back out to check he hadn't knocked any sensors loose and to read the fault codes stored - which I have attached.

I'm at a loss as I've never had an issue with the car like this before and would like some assistance on what the problem could be and is it just a coincidence it has happened a few miles after the clutch was replaced?

Thanks in advance
Adam

Last edited by adamfshaw on 7th Dec 2021 8:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #415622 7th Dec 2021 7:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I cant see the codes (attached?)
Have you uploaded an image? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415626 7th Dec 2021 8:00 pm
adamfshaw

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

I did but must not of uploaded, I have tried again now

Thanks
Adam

Post #415627 7th Dec 2021 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Have you tried googling

Try this

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/topic159299.aspx

2009 Freelander2 2.2 diesel comes up with 3 codes,all clear except

P02E8-00 Diesel intake air flow Position sensor

Landed this morning and sure enough throttle body is at fault,all seems free and the cogs are fine but in live data when getting to around 60% throttle there is a drop out for a split second.
£104 quid for a new one

I would try the throttle body connections first - may have been disturbed. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #415628 7th Dec 2021 8:23 pm
adamfshaw

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that, I did see that post but wasn't to sure if it was the same symptoms or not. We are not really in a position to throw money at with a 9 week old baby and spending £700 on a new clutch last week so was hoping to find someone who has experienced the same in past.

Post #415630 7th Dec 2021 8:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Gut feeling is throttle body, the car doesn't actually need one - seriously.

Mine failed outside the Mother-in-laws late one night, the AA chap came out and asked how much I wanted to spend the night at the Mother-in-laws Rolling with laughter
He then said that he could get me going but it would be brutal, promptly took the intake hose off the throttle body and drove a large screwdriver through it, jamming it wide open and refitted the hose. Problem solved, ran like a dream. Ordered up a new one but it was the middle of winter so it took a few weeks until I could get a dry weekend to install the replacement.
Officially the new one should be calibrated, but as I have said, even with the original brutally smashed open the car ran better than it had been doing for weeks, so a new one that was roughly in the right position was fine.

Symptoms were, occasionally the car would start but refuse to rev above 500rpm - charge light would stay on as it's below tickover speed. Eventually it got to the stage where she would start (just) and die, then would only restart (just) after waiting for a minute or two. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #415668 8th Dec 2021 7:55 pm
adamfshaw

United Kingdom 

Hi thanks for that, yours sounds like it gradually got worse where as my car hasn't had any other symptoms until this fault occured.

A little update I have gone to the car this mor ING after leaving it a few days and it has started up and ran up to tempreture fine, don't you just love intermittent faults 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks

Post #415696 9th Dec 2021 8:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1