Home > Wheels & Tyres > Caster alignment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
blaster1232

Latvia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Caster alignment

Hello to all.

I've been fighting this issue, where the distance between front tyres and arches are not the same on both sides. If on front right wheel there is a 11 cm space between tyre and left side of arch (when looking at it) then on right side the distance is only 7 cm. So quite a big difference. I first noticed this when my 19'' wheel was rubbing left arch on angles, but this was not the case for right wheel. Car also likes to suddenly ''pull'' the steering wheel when on very uneven surfaces. I thought that it should be something to do with springs or struts so i put some new bilstein struts, kyb springs and skf strut bearings, but problem still is present. After spending hours in web, i read that this could be caused by bad caster. I know that the car has gone over something bad, since both front wheels were terribly dented when i bought it, but all parts and bushings look fine.

So the question is - is it possible to adjust caster on freelander 2?

Post #414956 23rd Nov 2021 9:57 pm
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

My first action before doing anything bearing in mind you say both front wheels were damaged when you purchased the vehicle would be to get a full Four Wheel Alignment done it measures a minimum of 12 angles and compares them to the alignment data specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Wheel rim run-out compensation is taken into account, which gives accurate and repeatable readings. Then you will have a base to work from.

Post #414963 24th Nov 2021 8:41 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just a thought but I wonder if some of the suspension components have been replaced with the wrong ones? Many years ago I had a problem with my Morris Marina (!) and replaced some front suspension joints. I had gone to the local BL dealer and the guy had looked up the parts on the microfiche (as you did in those days) I fitted them on one side and noticed the next day that the caster angle looked different. As I had bought parts for both sides I was able to compare the ones that I had taken off with new ones for the other side and they were slightly different. I went back to the BL parts dept and the guy looked it all up again and said that it was correct as far as the documentation was concerned but it was clearly wrong and sometimes happened when changes were made to models during production but not properly documented.
This story might be a red herring in your case but the FL2 had a number of changes made in 2013 which included a lot of parts from the Evoque and my 2014 model certainly feels different to previous ones we had. So I wonder if you or a previous owner had wrong part(s) fitted? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #414975 24th Nov 2021 10:12 am
blaster1232

Thank you both for your valuable comments. My money would be on a bent left control arm, but I will take the car to alignment center. If they are not able to locate the problem, I will then take it to garage, which reconstructs the original car geomethry after crashes and will ask them to check if anything is bent. If not, I will order both control arms and hope for the best. Will keep you updated. Smile

Indeed, i've seen on Russian freel2 videos that some control arms are different lenght, this could be it!

Post #415003 24th Nov 2021 5:39 pm
blaster1232

Problem solved. It turned out to be bent control arm with bad bushings.

Post #415274 30th Nov 2021 7:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1