« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Brittle plastics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Brittle plastics

After having a couple of problems undoing plastic connectors due to age, both mine and the said connectors (entropy ?) I find myself wondering if there is anything a coating or something available to prevent this happening.

Post #415148 27th Nov 2021 7:20 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Unfortunately, a lot of the plastics used nowadays don't appear to live up to their reputation of being indestructible, particularly when cold, they can become very brittle. I don't know of any specific coating to combat this other than to say that some, WD40 or similar for example can shorten the life of some plastic parts.

I remember many years ago there was a particular brand of monochrome TV that came in a moulded thermoplastic case, this particular TV used to suffer with "noisy' controls, Ie, the volume would crackle or brightness would flicker when adjusted, the usual solution to this was to squirt copious amounts of switch cleaner into the controls, after a few years, these sets would be coming into the workshop with the bottom of the cabinet having disintegrated under their own weight.

Post #415264 30th Nov 2021 7:15 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Brittle plastics

I Like Chips wrote:
After having a couple of problems undoing plastic connectors due to age, both mine and the said connectors (entropy ?) I find myself wondering if there is anything a coating or something available to prevent this happening.

In cold weather especially I find gently warming things up with a hot air gun reduces the chances of clip breaking.
I recently had a door card off - the trim clips were very tight but careful use of trim tools plus hot air eventually got them all out without breaking any clips or the door card. I put a tiny smear of silicone grease on each clip to aid reassembly. Jules

Post #415279 30th Nov 2021 8:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1