« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > ADSL Broadband speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
ADSL Broadband speeds

Can someone explain why my upload speed is so low compared to my download speed.
I know its usually lower but is this discrepancy reasonable ?
I have a Vodafone ADSL phone line to a fibre cabinet about 1km away.

ping 13ms
Download 16.20 Mbps
Upload 0.63 Mbps

Vodafone says everything is fine. But I used to get around 15/1.5, but the upload has been slower for a few months. I've changed nothing at my end. Jules

Post #414097 2nd Nov 2021 8:23 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Can you use your mobile hotspot. If you're not streaming one doesn't need truck loads of data. We are normally about 80 down & 20 up, & Australia has crap speed. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #414099 2nd Nov 2021 8:50 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

can you log onto your router to check the actual speeds to/from the line port there ?

the equipment in the cabinet/exchange will be powerful enough to drive the higher download speeds but your router isnt the same capacity to upload. So speeds will always be lower, and speeds from wifi devices will be even lower.

whilst this doesnt explain the drop in your upload speeds its a step to learning possibly where the problem is.

Post #414101 2nd Nov 2021 9:51 am
Dartman the one

England 

Speeds vary on the site used to measure the speed and the choice of server, to get reliable results you must always use the same site and server location, the recommended site is https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ then note the server and change it to see if there are variations. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #414116 2nd Nov 2021 1:01 pm
jules

RogB wrote:
can you log onto your router to check the actual speeds to/from the line port there ?

Yeah, the speeds I quoted are from the router software itself, running via the test socket. I've done a line test and its clear as a bell.
I done other speed tests and they are concordant with the router speed.

Until recently we couldn't get a 4G signal inside the house (being built from sandstone and blue engineering brick). I still have most non-portable things (TVs etc) on the ethernet cables I installed throughout the house before WiFi became a thing.

We do have good 4G signal now and can get speeds of 30/20 inside the house. Unfortunately I still have another year to run on my Vodafone ADSL contract. Jules

Post #414120 2nd Nov 2021 2:24 pm
jules

Lightwater wrote:
Can you use your mobile hotspot. If you're not streaming one doesn't need truck loads of data. We are normally about 80 down & 20 up, & Australia has crap speed.

Last week I had 6/0.3 with a ping of 19.
After the usual tedious on-line chat Vodafone said they would do something to the router. They wouldn't tell me what it was, but speeds have improved although upload is still half what it used to be.
It bugs me that vodafone as so secretive, almost as bad as Ford main dealers - but that's another story. Jules

Post #414122 2nd Nov 2021 2:34 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Just checked using Virgin Fibre Link.

Ping 26ms Down 215Mbps Up 26Mbps.

I believe that if you are getting line errors (repeats?), the providers equipment gradually lowers line speed automatically to find a speed which runs error free. Its a reason why repeatedly forcing line resets is counter productive if trying to cure a bad line. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #414129 2nd Nov 2021 5:32 pm
Dartman the one

England 

You can play with different channels in the router and that's what Vodaphone will be doing when they say they are making adjustments, generally the higher channels are less used and therefore speeds are higher but not always, generally the router is set to auto and it should pick the best channel but not always so, if you pick a fixed channel it may not be the most the best all the time and may need to be changed at high usage times ie school finishing, 6pm to 7pm. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #414132 2nd Nov 2021 7:08 pm
mike e

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

what 1s vodafone guarantee of speed mine is 53 with fibre to cab download 2007 hse gone
214xs

Post #414137 2nd Nov 2021 9:18 pm
jules

vodafone's guaranteed minimum download is now 11Mbps.
I have a fibre contract upto 35 which was an improvement on my previous speeds although Im getting nowhere near what others get nearer the cabinet.
My minimum was 25 but Vodafone lowered it when I renewed ( in the small print Evil or Very Mad ) - at the moment I get a 15% discount due to low speeds carried over from previous contract but I dont know how long that will last. Jules

Post #414140 2nd Nov 2021 9:35 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

jules wrote:
Unfortunately I still have another year to run on my Vodafone ADSL contract.

I wasn't aware that Vodafone (still) supplied an ADSL service…. Is it not possible to upgrade to FTTC /VDSL - Superfast 1 (38 / 9 mbps*) or Superfast 2 (67 / 19 mbps*). I'd swerve the 'Pro' equivalents of these as overpriced upsells. Upgrading avoids early termination fees but does mean starting a new minimum period.

*average down / up speeds

Dartman the one wrote:
You can play with different channels in the router and that's what Vodaphone will be doing when they say they are making adjustments

I don't know what router / firmware the ADSL service uses / used but Vodafone have removed the user's ability to change channels from the VDSL routers. It is the cause of a great wailing and gnashing of teeth over on the Vodafone forum. I'm a long term Superfast 2 subscriber but I use my own standalone modem with a mesh router and multiple nodes and to date, have had a reliable and fast broadband connection.

Post #414141 2nd Nov 2021 9:40 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
vodafone's guaranteed minimum download is now 11Mbps.
I have a fibre contract upto 35 which was an improvement on my previous speeds although Im getting nowhere near what others get nearer the cabinet.
My minimum was 25 but Vodafone lowered it when I renewed ( in the small print Evil or Very Mad ) - at the moment I get a 15% discount due to low speeds carried over from previous contract but I dont know how long that will last.

They did that to me as well, we were guaranteed 35mbps before but only ever got 27, so we got the 15% discount for the past two years, then we had to renew and the new guaranteed speed is 15mbps here…….a bit pi55ed off by that as we still get 27mbps but now not with a 15% low speed discount Crying or Very sad

Our upload has always been about 5mbps. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #414142 2nd Nov 2021 9:58 pm
jules

ReggiePerrin wrote:
jules wrote:
Unfortunately I still have another year to run on my Vodafone ADSL contract.

I wasn't aware that Vodafone (still) supplied an ADSL service…. Is it not possible to upgrade to FTTC /VDSL - Superfast 1 (38 / 9 mbps*) or Superfast 2 (67 / 19 mbps*). .

My plan is called Unlimited Fibre38.
As we live out in the sticks (all of 16 miles from the centre of Brum Laughing ) it comes to me via the overhead copper telephone wire. The "fibre" bit is somewhere over in the village.
We haven't got gas or mains drainage either but that's another story. Jules

Post #414149 3rd Nov 2021 12:21 am
Dartman the one

England 

I'm with Plusnet, similar to you with fibre to cabinet and copper to the house from the cabinet, distance is 600 m as the crow fly's but over a KM on the overhead wires, I get 70mbs download and 15 upload. I suggest you use one of the sites that give you the speeds in properties near you and their providers, there's quite a difference sometimes. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #414163 3rd Nov 2021 10:46 am
jules

Thats amazing. People in the village get 70 down. I'll check with my neighbours (there are only 2) and see what their situation is. Jules

Post #414177 3rd Nov 2021 12:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1