Home > General > Jaguar Land Rover teams up with Tesla to meet EU emissions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Jaguar Land Rover teams up with Tesla to meet EU emissions

From today's Financial Times
UK carmaker Jaguar Land Rover has joined a scheme with electric rival Tesla to help it meet European emission rules and avoid fines.

Under the arrangement, JLR and Japan’s Honda are paying to pool emissions from their vehicles with Tesla’s battery cars, helping them lower their average figures, official documents show.

Under EU rules, carmakers selling in the region have to stay below average CO2 emissions limits or face fines. Rival groups are allowed to pool their emissions to help companies struggling to comply.

JLR’s decision to pool emissions with Tesla is an admission it will not be within the EU limits this year. It missed its CO2 targets last year and paid a £35m fine.

This year, it has been hampered by poor sales of its electric Jaguar I-Pace, as well as a significant hit to production from the global chip crisis.

Tesla, whose valuation passed $1tn this week following a deal to supply rental group Hertz with cars, has been one of the very few manufacturers relatively unscathed by chip shortages.

JLR declined to comment on the arrangement 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #413833 27th Oct 2021 10:13 am
superspeed3065

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

What a load of nonsense. Pooling CO2 emissions, dear dear! I should have pooled my sap calcs then on the house we built instead of having to comply with the 38 page drivel . We were off gas grid and had to put a combi boiler in that was diagonally at the opposite side of the house so run loads of water before hot comes out of the tap . I wanted to put a boiler that fed a smart tank in a large cupboard next to the bathroom. More sense, also asked if I could put an electric boiler in but was told my carbon emissions would be off the scale! So I asked why we would have to have an electric car then and the reply was a deafening silence. All this from a person who has written 3 books of nonsence , has a PHD and advises the Scottish government. How stupid can we get that our car makers are having to pool CO2 (all in theory of course) and are we having to ship it over to the Tesla factory for them to dispose of it?. Why not just ship it all over to China to let it be absorbed within theirs!!

Post #413840 27th Oct 2021 11:25 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Jaguar Land Rover teams up with Tesla to meet EU emissio

dorsetfreelander wrote:

JLR declined to comment on the arrangement

Typical. Jules

Post #413847 27th Oct 2021 2:21 pm
jules

SWMBO and I have decided to do our bit for the environment and we well not be buying being another car until forced to do so by practical or financial factors. Jules

Post #413848 27th Oct 2021 2:23 pm
Dartman the one

England 

They have also announced an all electric FFRR to be introduced in 2024, which indicates that the new FFRR in its various guises may have problems in the hybrid versions, the rage at present is only 62miles and the design is a bit Disco 5ish which doesn't bode well for sales my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #413850 27th Oct 2021 3:53 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I think Land Rover are pinning their hopes on Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology to allow them to run their large heavy cars over reasonably long distances with 'Zero' emmisions.

Otherwise its only route is counter productive, bigger, and bigger (and heavier) batteries.

PS Carbon offsetting amongst car makers has been going on for some time. - Personally I am running out of room in my garden as I strive to offset, and be green, AND run my favourite FL2 4x4. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #413854 27th Oct 2021 5:52 pm
dorsetfreelander

As an aside I now have an EV tariff for my electricity. I don't have an EV but I do have a Smart Meter. I am with Bulb and have Economy 7 (some storage heaters) and no gas where I live. So they offer me an EV tariff which looks OK to me see numbers below, I asked if I could have this without an EV and they said yes so I switched. All charges are lower, I can't see a catch in this but I wonder if it's really about getting gas users off a fixed deal?

EV tariff Daily charge 22.89p , day rate 19.38p , night rate 4.99p , (4 hours 2am-6am)

Economy 7 Daily charge 24.19p , day rate 22.58p , night rate 14.71p , (7 hours 1.30am -8.30am) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #413856 27th Oct 2021 6:18 pm
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Gawd help us.... most of us here run cheap-ish, reliable-ish diesels. Mine will go 450+ miles and takes 3 or 4 minutes to 're-charge' - after that, off we go again.
A neighbour here is renting a Tesla3. He has a holiday home in Provence. His previous car was a D3 and that would go pretty-much to Provence on a single 'charge' - even with the a/c on, the kids iPads going, the sound system on etc., etc.
The T3 needed 5 stops in France for (not 5-minute) re-charges.
I thought that technology was meant to improve our lives..... but no longer.
He also has a silly little BMWi3 which won't go very far at all. A London car - and £43k when new.
If CO2 really is your thing, these EV's even seem to have as big a 'carbon-footprint' on a whole of life basis as an equivalent modern IC vehicle and are more expensive and far less convenient to use, day-to-day in real life situations.
As to putting a towbar on a T3 - or taking them off-road Rolling with laughter
I'm an old fossil - and I'll stick with my fuel of choice for as long as I'm (legally) allowed.
Just saying'..... I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #413865 27th Oct 2021 9:40 pm
jules

Aston Martin tried a similar trick to average out their range of vehicles' CO2 emissions by producing the Aston Martin Cygnet.

Click image to enlarge

It was a rebadged Toyota iQ but cost 3 times as much .
Production stopped after 2 years after selling only about 300 Jules

Post #413871 27th Oct 2021 11:43 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Glassman, don’t even get me started on ULEZ introduced by Sadiq Khan on Monday on the pretext of cutting down on pollution in London. £12:50 a day unless you’re compliant, fines if you transgress and don’t or forget to pay. Yet to see how he’s spending all his new revenue stream in cutting down on pollution - building a giant bubble over the zone?
Fortunately I retired in April so no need now to travel into the zone but there’s a lot locally that have been hit as they simply cannot afford to replace their reliable, over 6 year old non- compliant cars

Post #413876 28th Oct 2021 8:13 am
jules

JLR paid Tesla £37m to pool CO2 to avoid a £89m fine.
https://www.ft.com/content/558a7f80-61fb-4348-8bef-8b850e3e8750 Jules

Post #414091 2nd Nov 2021 1:10 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We both stand on the scales & pool our weight. Looks good for me.

Doesn't actually help with our car's payload! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #414093 2nd Nov 2021 5:47 am
jules

Sidthecat wrote:
Glassman, don’t even get me started on ULEZ introduced by Sadiq Khan on Monday on the pretext of cutting down on pollution in London. £12:50 a day unless you’re compliant, fines if you transgress and don’t or forget to pay. Yet to see how he’s spending all his new revenue stream in cutting down on pollution - building a giant bubble over the zone?
Fortunately I retired in April so no need now to travel into the zone but there’s a lot locally that have been hit as they simply cannot afford to replace their reliable, over 6 year old non- compliant cars

After the few times I've done it, cycling on London's roads is not for the faint hearted . Certainly not something I'd want to do daily, in rush hour traffic. Jules

Post #414095 2nd Nov 2021 7:58 am
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
As an aside I now have an EV tariff for my electricity. I don't have an EV but I do have a Smart Meter. I am with Bulb and have Economy 7 (some storage heaters) and no gas where I live. So they offer me an EV tariff which looks OK to me

You do know that Bulb are due to go bust any day now, within the next week or two. Laughing

Post #414150 3rd Nov 2021 12:28 am
dorsetfreelander

Bulb have been going bust for a few weeks. Four other small companies went down yesterday.However they have just informed me that all prices are going up 25% next month. At this rate I won't be able to afford an EV anyway. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #414191 3rd Nov 2021 7:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>