Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FACELIFT FREELANDER 2 HEADLIGHT UPGRADE SOLUTION
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

You can tell the difference, the HID lamps are a bluer/whiter colour and come on more slowly - when first turned on they are about 50% brightness and very blue. Then over about 30sec they go to normal brightness and colour. The halogens look a bit yellowy compared to them but obviously come on straight away.

Post #406111 3rd Apr 2021 7:59 am
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Oh for sure when you turn them on there will be a difference, I was talking more looking at a halogen bulb freelander with projector lights next to an hid freelander standing side by side there would probably be very little physical appearance until as you say you turn them on.

Post #406127 3rd Apr 2021 10:44 am
congoblue

I see what you mean, no you cannot tell the difference unless you remove the headlamp units and look inside them.

Post #406146 3rd Apr 2021 4:27 pm
blueboy

As it’s a modification I wonder what insurers would make of it.

Would it be notifiable.

Post #406155 3rd Apr 2021 9:52 pm
MarkC

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Fitted led dip beam to my fl2 at beginning of the year with good output and so much better than oem bulbs.
Had an mot last week past with led fitted with no problems

Post #406523 12th Apr 2021 2:26 pm
congoblue

What LED lamps did you use, out of interest?

Post #406524 12th Apr 2021 2:36 pm
blueboy

MarkC wrote:
Fitted led dip beam to my fl2 at beginning of the year with good output and so much better than oem bulbs.
Had an mot last week past with led fitted with no problems

Thats good to hear mate.

Really would like to upgrade to LED if possible, as there is a delay with HID when switching on it may be that the MOT station may see this while testing, look at the sticker on my headlights which clearly says HALOGEN & fail it, my eyes are 67 years old so need all the light I can get, not so bad this time of year as lighter nights but come next winter would like to have done it by then, I will speak to my insurers first to see what they have to say.

I am looking at the expensive Philips ultinon at £135 in the hope that these will be as near to perfect as possible when in use.

I want the light but not at the expense of everyone else who cant see because of the dazzle from mine. I can't believe in this day & age that led replacements can't mirror what my halogens do without problems.

Post #406525 12th Apr 2021 3:24 pm
blueboy

Just spoken to my insurers (Ageas)

I explained about the poor headlights on my car & the risk of driving home with only one headlight if one was to pop while out & about, she was not sure on the question so called the underwriters to find out.

She came back & said that was perfectly ok to change to LED's & just to let them know when done so they can note it on my insurance.

Just have to now find out how good these Philips bulbs are & if they are likely to dazzle anyone while in use, the MOT is another issue but if I was to fit a set & use them without causing nuisance to others for a year then I would be happy to MOT while fitted.

Post #406526 12th Apr 2021 3:56 pm
congoblue

Park facing a wall, mark the headlamp cutoff line using PVC tape or something on the wall.

Swap to the LED bulbs and check the headlamp cutoff again, and check for stray light where it was dark with the halogen. If the bulbs are good design then the cutoff won't have moved and there won't be stray light = no dazzle for oncoming drivers.

Post #406534 12th Apr 2021 4:54 pm
JackGlendinning

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

Hi all

Brief update to my original post following a few month's run time with the Novisight HB3 LED bulbs.

Very impressed with the performance in all weather conditions and haven't had any other vehicles flashing me in the dark. The car went through an MOT test a few weeks back and it passed with no comment on the bulbs.

It seems that the important thing to get right with these bulbs is to make sure that the LED/HID filament is set within exactly the same place (distance from the mounting) as the original halogen filament would have been, this way you use the reflectors within the headlight to their fullest, whether it is an LED or HID kit that you go for. Philips seemed to be leading the way on these with specifically designed LED halogen replacements a couple of years back, I suppose that the technology is now trickling down so you don't have to pay big£££ for the privilege.

Given that the set cost me £45.00 and was plug and play (no retrofit wiring harness removed), I can truly recommend these as a great fix/upgrade bulb that should go on forever

Jack

Post #408275 25th May 2021 12:33 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The main issue with swapping halogen for LED/HiD replacements is that Halogen OEM headlamp units normally are manually adjustable for height control where as the higher power HiD OEM components always (if output is over 2000Lumens) have auto levelling of some kind fitted, unfortunately a lot of people who “tune up/modify” their cars don’t give a fig for blinding oncoming drivers when carrying a boot full of Heineken multi packs.

I am sure members in here are more responsible but of course being a Landrover forum it is probable that more of us might tow more regularly and so should be more aware and responsible to make sure we remember when towing.

I have always replaced Halogen projector lamps with HiD kits without any issues at MoT at all, I have tried a few LED bulbs but not found any that give a even beam pattern as do normal bulbs, although I tried then=m a good few years ago so hopefully they are much better now. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #408277 25th May 2021 1:10 pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

JackGlendinning wrote:
Hi all

Brief update to my original post following a few month's run time with the Novisight HB3 LED bulbs.

Very impressed with the performance in all weather conditions and haven't had any other vehicles flashing me in the dark. The car went through an MOT test a few weeks back and it passed with no comment on the bulbs.

It seems that the important thing to get right with these bulbs is to make sure that the LED/HID filament is set within exactly the same place (distance from the mounting) as the original halogen filament would have been, this way you use the reflectors within the headlight to their fullest, whether it is an LED or HID kit that you go for. Philips seemed to be leading the way on these with specifically designed LED halogen replacements a couple of years back, I suppose that the technology is now trickling down so you don't have to pay big£££ for the privilege.

Given that the set cost me £45.00 and was plug and play (no retrofit wiring harness removed), I can truly recommend these as a great fix/upgrade bulb that should go on forever

Jack

Just a quick question for the OP, are you still impressed with these? Getting really hacked off at how quickly the halogen bulbs blow & wanting to find a suitable replacement as can't afford to upgrade to Xenon headlights.

Post #412545 21st Sep 2021 6:56 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I tried aftermarket LED bulbs - sent them back as the beam pattern was irregular and more disappointingly the long range brightness was poor despite being very bright at short range.

I eventually swapped the halogens for 35W HID as I have the projector lights. Very impressive. No dazzling of on-coming drivers as far as I can tell and it passed MOT without a problem.
The whole HID kit fits inside the light housing. Jules

Post #412687 25th Sep 2021 8:21 pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Long story short, ordered the HID kit from ABD, went to test before fitting as per their instructions & found the bulbs rattle in the headlight fitting so all boxed back up & awaiting return to ABD for a full refund!

Anyone know where there's a reasonably priced set of genuine bi-xenon headlights for sale... Big Cry

Post #413236 8th Oct 2021 4:08 pm
hastp

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Firenze Red

Hi all - I have just taken receipt of a ABD 35W Xexon HID kit - anyone who has installed one of these Stealth kits got any photographs of your configuration you'd be willing to share? I just can't see how I can get this little lot installed within the Headlamp unit. TIA. Peter

(My FL2 is the facelift version - single bulb for dipped and full beam)

Post #417232 17th Jan 2022 11:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>