« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Heavy Vibration when accelerating under load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Heavy Vibration when accelerating under load

Freelander 2 has been perfick for 7 years. Suddenly few weeks ago developed a heavy vibration in 3rd/4th & 5th under load.
It was like driving over rumble strips ! ( feels like a wibbly wobbly drive shaft or even the fact that it feels like the wheel is hopping up and down off the road ! )The vibration was bad in front passenger seat and my daughter couldn't even talk when it was vibrating it was that bad.
I suspected N/S/F drive shaft, so replaced and was fine for about 7-8 weeks then the vibration came back but quite a fine vibration. Replaced the O/S/F drive shaft as could feel it through the steering.
Still have the vibration and its severe so have to drive very light throttle.
Its not wheel balance or clutch slipping. Has anyone else experienced the same ?
I suspect it could be a resonance in the dual mass resonating through the drive train.
there is one post a few years ago where a guy has described the same symptom's and after 5 visits to landrover they replaced clutch and dual mass and problem solved.
unfortunately I don't have access to my NVH sensor kit that can trace where a vibration is coming from although I have thought of setting a camera up near the NSF drive shaft.
Has anyone had similar issue and had resolved without replacing loads of parts ( my pet hate )
Its only done 22k from new.
Thank you Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #401489 21st Dec 2020 4:05 pm
oldgeezer

Well spent a little time looking further. Changing the drive shaft and no vibration was just coincidence as it turned out it didnt start vibrating/shuddering until it had covered 30 + miles.
Removed front to rear propshaft but just as bad.
Finally concluded it could be a missfire underload.
Added a bottle of comma diesel detox heavy duty injector cleaner, to just 20 ltrs of derv so it was more concentrated.
Took for 40 mile drive.
Next day another 35 mile drive and vibration/ shudder underload 95% gone
Will pull injectors and get tested soon if it doesnt clear up alltogether.

There was no detectable sound in exhaust under load, drove through a tunnel with windows open, just picked up an erratic crank signal with scope between 1600rpm and 2800 rpm. Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #406072 2nd Apr 2021 7:59 am
steven211

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I had a bad vibration and it turned out to be the crank sensor was faulty, it has been fine since.

Post #406145 3rd Apr 2021 3:21 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thats a good one to check early on I should think - relatively cheap and easy to replace Jules

Post #406154 3rd Apr 2021 8:49 pm
oldgeezer

I should of added, crank sensor wasn't faulty.
The signal on a scope allows view of the power stroke of the engine and on an overlay of signals was evident that one cylinder on firing wasn't producing such an accelerated wave form indicating that one cylinder was not producing the same amount of power under full load !
It was one of those faults that was frustrating to trace and it was interesting that the opinions of 3 different landrover master techs was all pointing to drive train / drive shaft / dual mass issue which was the same conclusion as I had come too.
The only good outcome was that there was no way I was going to start replacing haldex, or front to rear prop/PTU or Clutch and Dual mass without pinpointing the cause first. Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #406203 5th Apr 2021 12:03 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I have a similar one cylinder miss under heavy moderate to heavy acceleration, so it'll be interesting to see what is causing your issue. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #406204 5th Apr 2021 12:11 pm
oldgeezer

Hi Nodge68
Well I added Comma Diesel DTOX injector heavy duty cleaner.
I put in about 20 ltrs of diesel not 60 as recommended, so it was more concentrated.
Went for 20 miles drive, left parked overnight, did the same the next day and the same again the day after and each day huge improvement which indicates its an injector.
In fact today have been for long drive and couldn't detect anything now so filled it up and added 2 bottles of comma Diesel injector magic.
I'm now doing 300+ miles over next couple of days and will see how it runs. Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #406214 5th Apr 2021 4:56 pm
oldgeezer

Finally Fixed

Well having suffered horrendous vibration under load, and a wibbley wobbley feeling in the steering, i thought i would share final fix thanks to Joe Hodgson.
18 months ago fitted Nearside drive shaft as felt that was where the vibration was from. Then replaced offside drive shaft as still had shake/ vibration.
Then replaced both drives shafts again with so called " premium product"
Landrover Dealer suggested Dual mass so Then replaced clutch and flywheel as clutch was getting heavey, still the same.
Removed the front to rear prop to find a knackered CV joint on prop!
Whilst it was off still had vibration underload.
Replaced nearside front drive shaft yet again ! Still had problem.
Fitted full engine mount set, no different.
Final after Joe's advice and assurance, bit the bullet and fitted genuine landrover front drive shafts and front to rear propshaft.
Haldex serviced as well ! Car has only done 33k from new as I have owned from new.
So now with new cambelt and water pump, full service, genuine driveshafts and prop, haldex serviced, new engine mount s and 4 tyres, eye watering amounts spent ! But was it worth it hell yes.
Moral of the story dont buy pattern parts. Frustratingly i even asked my supplier when I bought the front shafts originally for a premium make as I didnt want Censored ! Well it looks like I got what I paid for. Buy cheap buy twice or 3 times!!
Probabley knocked a whole in just under 5k.
Had I of done it with genuine bits the first time it would of been about 3k and no drama.
Hope this helps someone Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #412481 19th Sep 2021 6:13 pm
oldgeezer

Finally Fixed

Well having suffered horrendous vibration under load, and a wibbley wobbley feeling in the steering, i thought i would share final fix thanks to Joe Hodgson.
18 months ago fitted Nearside drive shaft as felt that was where the vibration was from. Then replaced offside drive shaft as still had shake/ vibration.
Then replaced both drives shafts again with so called " premium product"
Landrover Dealer suggested Dual mass so Then replaced clutch and flywheel as clutch was getting heavey, still the same.
Removed the front to rear prop to find a knackered CV joint on prop!
Whilst it was off still had vibration underload.
Replaced nearside front drive shaft yet again ! Still had problem.
Fitted full engine mount set, no different.
Final after Joe's advice and assurance, bit the bullet and fitted genuine landrover front drive shafts and front to rear propshaft.
Haldex serviced as well ! Car has only done 33k from new as I have owned from new.
So now with new cambelt and water pump, full service, genuine driveshafts and prop, haldex serviced, new engine mount s and 4 tyres, eye watering amounts spent ! But was it worth it hell yes.
Moral of the story dont buy pattern parts. Frustratingly i even asked my supplier when I bought the front shafts originally for a premium make as I didnt want Censored ! Well it looks like I got what I paid for. Buy cheap buy twice or 3 times!!
Probabley knocked a whole in just under 5k.
Had I of done it with genuine bits the first time it would of been about 3k and no drama.
Hope this helps someone Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #412483 19th Sep 2021 6:39 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Sound advice there OG,
it's a shame so many will go for the cheap option first,
when fitting main mechanical parts. Rolling Eyes DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #412490 20th Sep 2021 10:28 am
oldgeezer

yep agree, mostly I fit genuine but the Drives shafts were 175.00+vat from a suppliers, 275.00+vat from a premium manufacture ( or so I thought ) 1380 including vat from LR for the pair.
Goodness its so smooth and taught and absolutely zero drive train slack. its just like it was brand-new.
so worth spending out for the proper parts .
I had a big smile all the way to work this morning. Very Happy Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #412495 20th Sep 2021 11:54 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I'm surprised that all this hassle occurred on a car with only 33K miles.
Do you do a lot of towing of heavy stuff up hills ? Smile

Just so I'm clear , which faulty part was causing the vibration under load.
Was it the main prop shaft ? Jules

Post #412497 20th Sep 2021 12:45 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Good question, I am thinking it was the after market drive shafts but not sure which side or if front or rear.

Post #412499 20th Sep 2021 1:39 pm
oldgeezer

I started at 21k with a small vibration under load mostly 3rd and 4th and got worse and worse to the point where the seats shook.

All the miles were done towing as I had a company vehicle so i only used the FR2 for holidays each year towing a large twin axle caravan to Spain or France.

I had always suspected nearside front as the problem. Changing the nearside front did change the dynamics, but it was worse, so ended up changing the osf. The vibration was still there but different.

I then removed the prop to eliminate the rear as a problem . No difference in vibration but noticed whilst the prop was off that one of the CV joints was very tight to swivel and needed a tap with a copper hammer to realign!

I then swapped both front drive shafts again for a premium pair of shafts, dynamics changed but still got nasty vibration but after about 30 + miles. Swapped the nearside front yet again for another under a warranty claim with the supplier but still no improvement.

Then fitted new clutch and dual mass as the clutch was getting heavy but it wasnt worn at all and dual mass was fine as well.

As it was now 7 years old the belt and water pump was due so did that and its big service including Haldex, shocked at state of Haldex for such low mileage.

So then bit the bullet and purchased pair of genuine front drives shafts, centre prop and full engine mount set as it was easier to replace whilst shafts were out. ( the old mounts appeared fine ) but peace of mind.

Oh my goodness I new as I moved it, it was fixed, absolutley zero slack in drive take up and it felt as taught as it did brandnew.

So it would appear front drive shafts are critical ( most likley due to the huge amount of tourque these produce)

I have to say I am over the moon with the end result and turned oit worth every penny except the after market shafts just caused more hassle and expense than necessary but fairly normal.
State of Haldex filter at 31k !
 Jaguar x-type sport gone

Post #412517 21st Sep 2021 5:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1