« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheroke140

England 
Corrosion protection

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use underneath my freelander for corrosion protection?

Thanks min advance

Mike

Post #412338 16th Sep 2021 6:43 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Are you doing it yourself or taking it to a company to do ? I’ve done some research it seems there is good old Waxoyl and some very good Bilt Hamber products but they don’t do one that kills existing rust. Also check out Krown rustproofing
https://www.facebook.com/krownuk/

Post #412340 16th Sep 2021 7:04 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Corrosion protection

Cheroke140 wrote:
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to use underneath my freelander for corrosion protection?

Thanks min advance

Mike

It partly depends on how good the chassis/body work is before you start. If its already very rusty then it becomes difficult and pricey.
However if it is rust free now, then a good spray wash underneath, allow to fully dry and spray with waxoyl is a good investment of your time - assuming you get into the all box sections etc.

FWIW I went to town on my 2000 plate Disco TD5 - when it was about 18 months old I sprayed inside and outside all the chassis rails with Waxoyl/Tetrasyl- inc the gaps between rail tops and body where mud collects and all the underside body panels. I don't own it any more but its taxed/MOT'd with 190K miles and the MOT history makes no mention of any underbody corrosion at any time. Rusting of the rear body and suspension mounting areas was the death knell for many a Disco 2. Jules

Post #412342 16th Sep 2021 8:34 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SYFL2 wrote:
and some very good Bilt Hamber products but they don’t do one that kills existing rust.
https://www.facebook.com/krownuk/

Yes they do, and very good stuff……Hydrate-80 Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #412347 16th Sep 2021 10:34 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Although with older (pre 1970-80) vehicles any bare metal rusted very quickly and therefore needed regularly coating with an air/moisture barrier, I am not so sure that this is benificial to modern galvanised cars.

Any build up of material on the surface of the metal will only trap water and hide any corrosion until it is to late. Surely the best way to maintain the modern rust-proofing is to regularly inspect, clean, and apply a zinc based paint/treatment to any offending areas.

When I lived in Germany in the mid 1960s, I noticed that lots of the local population put their cars into a local garage each Autumn and Spring to swap Winter/Summer Tyres and have their cars undersides cleaned and resprayed with an oil/wax coating. As the winters were a bit more severe than here and the roads were left untreated (snow/ice) it seemed a good idea.

I still think that if you do not regularly maintain any coating then you are doing more harm than good.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-h...e-of-rust/

PS I must get round to removing the plastic guards and trim on my FL2. (Therefore practice what I preach) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #412348 16th Sep 2021 11:57 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

"Any build up of material on the surface of the metal will only trap water and hide any corrosion until it is to late."

Certainly that was a problem in the past. I remember my dad's cars, they had a black underseal sprayed on when built. It became hard with time and cracked - allowing water in under capillary action and rotted away the steel behind the so-called protection.
Wax based products don't seem to dry out and crack - it remains pliable. It will be eventually worn away by continued tyre spray. But in areas where its not directly under fire from tyre spray it seems to last well and is a good barrier to salty water. I sprayed all underneath and the subframes of the FL2 when I installed the towbar. I later did behind the wheel arch covers. Jules

Post #412349 16th Sep 2021 1:20 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

i wd40 all known areas for corrosion,ie subframes,power steering pipes,jacking points,etc in fact ive just done the car everywhere underneath this week,i do it twice a year,it takes about 15 mins.the wd 40 forms a film better than any underseal,but needs to be done regularly.i did the same with my land rovers inthe past it kept them rust free.and wd does not harm rubber,infact it helps reduce squeaks.

Post #412360 16th Sep 2021 7:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1