Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Getting better with age .... 50+ ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Getting better with age .... 50+ ....

Well I've just hiked another year up the 50's and I think I'm doing OK, my FL2 is a bit further up the 50's range and seems to be going better than ever .... heading towards 58k miles ....

Looking at the mileage poll I started then it seems I am probably the highest miler on here; lucky me !!!!

I tell you the feel of the engine just gets better and better, its free, willing and just asks to be driven. I can't get over the fuel consuption she is returning. I recently covered a few trips for work, I was so pre-occupied with the work stuff I didn't have my usual focus on the fuel gauge, I just got the point where the low fuel warning light had been on for a while and decided I really must find fuel (thanks goodness for Asda on the Bradford ring road still at 99.9p per litre!!!) I filled with 65 litres at 647 miles, 45.2mpg which is crazy.

As I've posted elsewhere we're doing a lot of weekends away now that we have sited our caravan on a seasonal pitch near Caernarfon. Now then, getting away for the weekend puts a certain extra pressure to minimise the journey time to maximise the weekend time, that journey is about 110 miles each way, now I've done it several times travelling at speed limit (+5 -> +10mph) all the way and I'm still getting 37-38 on those runs.

I really feel that the engine is getting into a sort of comfort zone, I've found myself hoofing away from lights and pulling smoothly up to 4500rpm without any any problem. Even Mrs Avtur has noticed the increase in speed in recent months, but the consumption is still holding up.

The FL2 is going in under three months now, I was going to say "I'll" miss it, but in truth the whole family will miss it. So come on guys get some miles under you belts this motor just gets better with age !!!! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #40932 22nd Apr 2009 9:59 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Did you buy it new? Mine is new with just about 600 miles on it and I get an average of 8.4L/100kms which should recalc to about 28mpg. Does this get better?

I also want to mention that it's a TD4_e, wich makes it even more strange I get such a low return.

Don't get me wrong, to me it's not over the top for such a big car, as my provious car guzzled 7.5L/100kms (31mpg) of petrol with a 1600cc 86HP engine.

But reading other peoples returns it seems to be very low. 40mpg would recalc to 6L/100kms.

Or is there a problem with my calculations?

+++ edited +++

Found the problem US vs UK mpgs

8.4L/100km = 33.6mpg UK

still very low but much much better then 28mpg which is actually 28mpg US.

Would still love a 7.5L/100km (37.7mpg)

Post #40972 23rd Apr 2009 2:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

zone30 wrote:
Did you buy it new?

Would still love a 7.5L/100km (37.7mpg)

Yes bought new with just 5 miles on the clock, in its life the car has travelled less than 15 miles without me being in it, I don't like other people driving it when I'm not around to see what they do. It was driven by the service department once who put 12 miles on it with an average consumption of 14.9mph I dread to think what the did to get it that low....

I'm sure you mpg will improve, don't be too gentle with it though. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #40980 23rd Apr 2009 3:28 pm
zone30

I have a td4_e and it always tells me to shift up at about 2000 rpm after wich it drops to about 1500 rpm.
The real power always comes on at about 2200 rpm.

It actually wants me to shift up a little lower then 2000rpm but then the rpm drops a bit to low and the car has to work a bit to get going.

When do you Censored up/down?

+++ edited +++

Made a seperate topic for this.

Post #41039 24th Apr 2009 8:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

zone30 wrote:

When do you Censored up/down?

+++ edited +++

Made a seperate topic for this.

I Censored sitting down otherwise it goes down my leg Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #41222 27th Apr 2009 8:53 am
zone30

Embarassed sorry for the missing F

Post #41224 27th Apr 2009 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1