Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > chinese tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thats a shame - I must have bought some of the last Avon car tyres made in the UK. Maybe I should keep one after its worn out and frame it. Jules

Post #391779 29th May 2020 7:17 pm
blueboy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Had 4 Avon tyres fitted to my Freelander last year. They do say Made In England on the sidewalls.

Having 2 tyres fitted onto my van on Tuesday, I was offered Jinu (spelling) but decided to try & stick with UK or European made tyres. Having Avon ( Z7 I think he said) so will have a look & see where they are made now.

I am really going to try & support other countries if I can find what I am after. We rely far too much on China, my wife is a Filipina & I get a little tired of hearing about the Chinese taking over all the Islands in the South China sea that they want to militarise & call theirs.

If I keep buying Chinese then I cant help feeling that I am supporting their military to do such things.

Post #391821 31st May 2020 8:38 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Some stuff made in China is fine, but the issue is quality control when major manufacturers use the country as a “economical” source.
I went to China a good few years ago now to record (photos and video) the “production line” on one of our suppliers for spark plugs made to our specification and branded, it was an absolute nightmare......a dirty, filthy building with poor sods working with virtually no protective clothing or equipment, the machining shop was tiny and using lathes and mills from what looked like the 19th century, on one particular thread cutter the lubrication being used was......water coloured white to seem to be cutting lubricant, it was closed soon after my return.

We had items like Prototype rear leaf springs made in India for commercial vehicles which came over and when the van was loaded to GVW and the load removed the van remained on its bumps...the “springs” had not been tempered, also from India early engine block castings came across and when run on the dynos they all overheated, inside the blocks the water channels were blocked with solid casting sand such was the Censored used.

No....I would NEVER buy tyres from a Chinese/Indian etc manufacturers.......a lot of the factories are run by crooks, quite literally. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #391824 31st May 2020 9:54 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

sailun terramax up date,chinese tyre!,so far done 22000 miles on these,cant fault them got 4 mm left all round(swapped front to rear at about 10000m,had a puncture on 1, my own fault, never saw it was low on pressure so sidewall damaged,replaced it on a sunday with pirelli zero ,£25 more than the sailun,this now has only 3mm left.

Post #412106 8th Sep 2021 6:32 pm
sid

you cant have good grip and hard wearing,just look at f1 tyres,so im happy with the mileage im getting.

Post #412107 8th Sep 2021 6:39 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

42000 miles on my General Grabber At3 with 5mm remaining Whistle Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #412110 8th Sep 2021 7:44 pm
sid

mine are about £92 ,fitted, how much are yours?i wonder if its worth me changing for the extra mileage ,although i may loose some gripping capability,with the ones ive got ive really pushed them on a wet days,cant fault them,also i drive across my land in allsorts of weather and never got stuck at all.

Post #412111 8th Sep 2021 8:50 pm
Bobupndown

Around £125. But nearly double the mileage so far. I think I'll stick to branded tyres not an area I like to skimp on. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #412120 9th Sep 2021 6:16 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I'm running Nokian Weatherproof. I didnt realise until they arrived that they were made in Russia.
Would I have bought them have I known ? Probably not.
However I've not suffered the same rubber degradation noted by others - covered elsewhere. Jules

Post #412128 9th Sep 2021 8:22 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Nokian have been making tyres in their Russian factory for years, Finland has always had very close links with the USSR (or whatever Putin calls it now)…..it was basically easier to get permission to build a new factory in Russia than the permissions granted for Finland, and labour is a lot cheaper also. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #412130 9th Sep 2021 9:09 am
sid

well what should i do,?my cheap sailun terramax tyres need replacing for winter,good wearing good grip no noise.ive seen comments on premium tyres with the cracking tread problems,and noise problems,etc,so im reluctant to go down the premium route,and of course price comes into it ,trouble is the saliuns seem to be unavailable in my size at the moment(235 60 18)and before any one says "that's all thats beetween you and the road"i dont see the point of wasting money on tyres that dont last due to cracking and getting noisey ,so you thing your diffs gone(wranglers) any suggestions on a good budget tyre?

Post #413351 11th Oct 2021 7:37 pm
sid

does no one use budget tyres then?cant believe that!

Post #413654 21st Oct 2021 8:48 pm
Bobupndown

If I had no option but to use budget tyres then yes I would but I'd rather pay more for a premium branded tyre that will perform better and last longer. Those 4 small patches of rubber keep a 2 ton vehicle in check, not an area I skimp on.
Watch some of the tyre comparison videos on YouTube and see the handling and braking characteristics of premium v budget tyres. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Post #413664 22nd Oct 2021 7:43 am
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

I'm with Bob here - brakes & tyres are not something to be skimped on IMHO Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #413667 22nd Oct 2021 8:12 am
sid

Bobupndown wrote:
If I had no option but to use budget tyres then yes I would but I'd rather pay more for a premium branded tyre that will perform better and last longer. Those 4 small patches of rubber keep a 2 ton vehicle in check, not an area I skimp on.
Watch some of the tyre comparison videos on YouTube and see the handling and braking characteristics of premium v budget tyres.
ive just looked at some tyre review videos,they all seem to be sponsored by premium brand tyre manufacturers?i nearly went for avons as ats are doing a special deal,but after reading reviews its put me off.

Post #413727 23rd Oct 2021 4:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>