« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New addition to the fleet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Izmir Blue
New addition to the fleet

I'm a new member on here but have been over on the FFRR site for a few years now.

We've decided to get rid of a P38 and replace it with something a bit newer. Having looked at another FF we decided that we didn't really need one so started to look at Evoque's and Freelanders.

In the end we settled on a 2007 Freelander i6 HSE from Guy Salmon in Stockport. It's had one owner from new, has only covered 29k miles and is in showroom condition.

We picked it up yesterday and headed for home, I've never really looked at Freelander 2'sbefore after the problems we had with our old Freelander V6 but after being given one as a courtesy car from LR in February I was quite impressed. This one has really impressed me though, it's so quiet, it's smooth as silk being a straight 6 and it fair shifts as well.

The i6's represent great value for money these days, and for a daily car to run around in I think they're massively underrated cars too!

Here's a few pictures...

When looking at it this morning the exhausts were annoying me as they were filthy so I gave them the same treatment as the Supercharged RR ones got when I got that home too... Thankfully the exhaust tips on the FL are tiny in comparison.

Before:

After:

Really looking forward to seeing how it goes and reading through the forum. First things first is a tow bar I think. Have decided that genuine electrics seem to be the way forward and probably a Witter detachable tow bar after reading about problems with the others. I also understand that the Witter one doesn't require the bumper cutting.

David. 1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE in Oxford Blue with Ash Grey Leather
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE in Rioja Red with Lightstone Leather
2006 Range Rover Supercharged in Zermatt Silver with Jet Leather
2007 Freelander i6 HSE in Izmir Blue with Ebony Leather
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #232530 23rd Aug 2014 7:59 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

welcome to the forum David, your new purchase looks great !!

will be interesting to hear how it compares with your FFRR

Iain

Post #232540 23rd Aug 2014 8:52 pm
pkj926

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

David,

Nice looking car and a great choice of model. I bought my 2007 i6 HSE Auto in January this year and I am delighted with the car (even though it has an intermittent problem which sometimes requires a second press of the Start button)

I also agree that they offer great value for money! It is easy to focus on the negative elements of RFL at £500
and an average mpg of 25 - but on the positive side - the smooth performance is amazing, the car suffers from none of the deisel version isues - and petrol is still on average 5ppl cheaper than diesel - so as long as your annual mileage is not astranomical - and you paid about £2k less for an i6 in the first place - it makes a lot of sense. we are also members of an elite club - there are currently only 297 i6 HSE's registered in the UK

enjoy

(I have a Witter tow bar I would be happy to give you - but it is the fixed type - and I live in Chichester and you are in Glasgow ( my home town)

Paul Current - MY 2007 HSE i6 3.2 Auto, Baltic Blue
Previous - MY2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S, Bonatti Grey
Also own - 2011 Jaguar XF S 3.0D Polaris White

Post #232551 23rd Aug 2014 9:13 pm
dhallworth

Hi Guys,

Iain, initial impressions are that the FF is quieter and smoother being on air suspension. The seats are also slightly longer in the base making them a bit comfier for long distances. When you start comparing them the Freelander starts to loose points but they're not really comparable cars.

Have done a few more miles in the FL this afternoon and am really impressed with it. That straight 6 cylinder is a cracker.

Paul, that's an incredibly kind offer on the tow bar, PM sent.

Regards

Post #232574 24th Aug 2014 12:42 am
D-Man

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Fantastic looking car for its age!

Great job cleaning the pipes: what did you use? (Mate has similar issue on his car and would appreciate any tips on method or chemicals). 2011 SD4 HSE Auto
(Previously 2007 TD4 XS Manual)

Post #232662 24th Aug 2014 11:23 pm
dhallworth

I used a metal polish called Solvol Autosol. It's brilliant stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosol-Solvol-C...3ce6250cb5

I used them on the exhaust tips on our Supercharged Range Rover as well. They did an amazing job on those too:

Before

After

Takes a bit of elbow grease but the results are well worth it Thumbs Up

Post #232664 24th Aug 2014 11:34 pm
dhallworth

Well we're 18 months into Freelander ownership now and have covered about 15k miles in the i6.

The only problem we've had from it is a rear wheel bearing started to make a grumble that was replaced under warranty. It's been serviced and MOT'd by Team Valley who commented on how clean the car was. It's also been machine polished twice as well so the paintwork is lovely too.

It really is a very nicely put together car and I still love the silky smoothness of the i6.

The one thing I've never really liked after being used to the the Range Rover was the halogen headlights.

I managed to get a set of the correct non AFS Xenon lights on eBay for £250 on Sunday morning. They turned up this morning and were amazingly well packaged and the lenses were in perfect condition.

I replaced the side light bulbs with the HID effect ones, the indicator bulbs were replaced with silver topped bulbs so the orange doesn't show in the cluster, and the full beam H7's were replaced with Osram Night Breaker Ultimates. The result is a lovely all white cluster when the car is running with the lights on. There's not a drop of yellow light in sight Smile

I think the Xenon unit looks much nicer on the car then the old halogen unit did too.

Before:

After:

A quick edit of the CCF using my GAP IID BT tool and all was good. That IID tool really is a handy piece of kit.

Am thinking of doing the side repeaters on the wings in clear ones now and am tempted to do the high level brake light in clear as well.

Post #291473 23rd Feb 2016 9:19 pm
dhallworth

Well, after 7 years of ownership the time has come to rehome the Freelander due to the imminent arrival of an IPace HSE to replace it.

This really has been one of the best cars we’ve ever owned. In 7 years, other then routine servicing it’s needed very little other then a wheel bearing in 2016 and the power steering pipes in 2018 I think it was. Comes with full service history too.

It’s just recently had the rear brake discs, pads, shoes and handbrake cables replaced and is sat on a set of nearly new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

If a member or enthusiast is looking for a nice i6 then get in touch as I’d far rather it went to someone who will appreciate it rather then being openly advertised for sale.

Once I’ve had a chance to have the car valeted I’ll get some decent pictures of it and then it’ll be advertised for sale.

Part of me thinks we’re mad changing it but after 7 years a change will be nice Smile

Post #411025 3rd Aug 2021 10:54 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Good to hear the Freelander has been a good one , we've just changed both of ours and replaced them with a 2.2 Disco sport , really missing the Freelanders after nearly 8 years . I'm sure your i6 will find a good home especially with the care you take of your vehicles .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #411057 4th Aug 2021 8:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1