Home > Technical > Occasional loss of power and rolling when parked in gear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ranger

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue
Occasional loss of power and rolling when parked in gear

Hello Ladies and Gents

Well the last time I was here I was asking for help and here I am again. Somehow makes me feel cheap, like a one night stand. I promise I’ll still love you guys in the morning though. Maybe I can give something back one day……. Very Happy

So my 2011 TD4 manual HSE has now nearly 150,000 on it. Not really had many issues other than a new intercooler, egr cooler, (the last problem you all helped me with) and a new PTU sleeve.

1: It generally runs well with bags of power and good acceleration. It stays on the drive all week and then completes a 200 mile motorway round trip every weekend so it’s getting plenty of long runs.
Now since the egr cooler was fitted, (maybe a coincidence), when I hit slow crawling traffic for 10 minutes or so, it loses all power but doesn’t actually go into limp mode. No error messages but acceleration is non existent. When the stop start traffic eases and it’s time to get up to speed again, it does eventually get up to 70 but it takes a good 5 minutes. After another 20 minutes of 70 it seems to clear itself and is back to normal ?????
Only happens when crawling. If I don’t hit traffic it acts normally and will cruise at 80 all day and get there very quickly.

2: My handbrake shoes are worn and I’m due to overhaul the rear brakes in a couple of weeks. So I’ve been parking it in gear on my drive which in on a slope. Just found out last week that leaving it in gear will not hold the car. It just rolls no matter what gear I engage.
No water in the oil, bags of power on the motorway except for the slow traffic problem explained above which always fixes itself.

So, I reach out to the brilliant minds collective on this forum for any ideas? Bow down

I’ve ordered new MAF and MAP sensors and am considering a new throttle assembly.

Any ideas folks?

Post #409983 10th Jul 2021 5:43 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

How steep is the slope?
When its rolling is the engine turning over ? If not then the clutch might be slipping. Jules

Post #409992 10th Jul 2021 9:01 pm
Ranger

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Hi Jules

It’s only a slight incline, so much so that I could almost hold the car back myself. I’ve not noticed any clutch slip at all either under load or on acceleration….

Oh and the engine does seem to turn over,

Post #409996 10th Jul 2021 9:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1