Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Diesel LPG?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TDR500

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
Diesel LPG?

Thanks to Sadiq Khan my 7 year old FL2 is about to become rather expensive to run due to the ULEZ expansion.

Without this I’d expect to keep her for another 5 years at least and thinking that maybe LPG is the cheapest solution to keep the vehicle. I see it’s not uncommon for i6 petrol versions but anyone already tried it with the diesel? Some of the taxi conversions seem to be around £10k but I’ve seen £1.5-2.5k quoted which is around 1-2 years of ULEZ charges and worth considering.

Otherwise it’ll be switching to the Disco Sport club until the goalposts get moved again. They’re ok but I prefer what I’ve already got. Big Cry

Post #409891 8th Jul 2021 7:39 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Cashier Kerching Khan has put us in a similar situation, although we're just outside the south circular - I retired a couple of months ago so no longer have a need to go into the area, we'll try to work around it in the first instance, shop elsewhere and such. If we ever went into London, we used public transport any way.
Guess you're living in the zone? Is there no sort of discounting available?
Changing the car's the easy option, but that'll cost money whichever route we choose; any way, why should we have to!

Post #409893 8th Jul 2021 8:39 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

I used to run an operation (in the US) that converted fleet vehicles to run on CNG, pretty similar to LPG.

We used a generic kit but each vehicle type and specific year typically required a fair bit of experimentation and dyno work to get the programing and tuning right. Once that was done once, we could just bolt kits onto trucks assembly-line style although a high mileage vehicle might need a special map done if the engine was tired... I don't think the CNG controller was able to learn dynamically like modern ECUs.

Also had to custom-design the tank fitting and fuel plumbing for each vehicle type.

So point being I'd only go there if someone has a kit for the specific make, model, year, and engine of your vehicle. Of if you're willing to pay a pro to custom-fit a generic kit. If it were me, I'd want to see reviews from satisfied customers.

Post #409902 8th Jul 2021 3:06 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the Dark Side (DS club) you know it makes sense Cool

In reality if you are going into London I would have thought that petrol was the better option - Euro6 diesels really don't like city traffic, doesn't matter who makes them. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #409903 8th Jul 2021 3:18 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don't think it's a viable option on a diesel.

See here: https://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #409904 8th Jul 2021 3:20 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've a 2014 Sd4 which if all goes to plan I'll probably run for another 5 years also, hoping ULEZ won't have spread to rural Northern Ireland by then 🤞
By that time I fully expect diesels to have seen increased taxes both at the pump and ved so it may be that I'm sadly driving my last diesel vehicle. I anticipate my next car will have to be petrol powered. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #409905 8th Jul 2021 3:45 pm
TDR500

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Thanks for the link and replies. The LPG mix option is potentially viable given the ULEZ charges and given the longevity of the Diesel engine even if it wears out quicker it’ll likely outlast the rest of the vehicle? We’re about 4 miles in from the north circular and currently no resident discount. Don’t commute in it but going away for the weekend will be £25 for 8 miles. Add the odd trip to the shops or day trip and the cost soon mounts up although little mileage in the zone so f annoying. New Defender if I win the lottery 😁

Post #409914 8th Jul 2021 11:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1