« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My 2015 SE Tech
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
dan55

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Fuji White
My 2015 SE Tech

Well I've now owned my 2015 plate SE tech for about 5 months or so. I posted on here to see if anyone had anything for sale but eventually found this on Auto trader. I've done and had done a few things to it over the last few months. I had a major knee op at the end of March so that made me unable to do anything other than buy things for it!! Rolling Eyes

It started off as a nice car when I got it. I bought it privately but it had great history and was in decent condition. the previous owner clearly didn't wash it thoroughly and it took me a few washes to get the grime out of the hard to reach places (particularly the roof!)

From this I noticed a leaking high level brake light so I ordered and fitted one of the extra thick ones off eBay and job done. I also purchased a set of used but good condition rubber mats and got a boot tray generously from a member off here.

The MoT was due in Mid April so I got this done and a full service and had the cam belt changed for peace of mind a year early. I had discs and pads fitted all round at the same time. All this wasn't cheap but happy that I had it done.

The next couple of tweaks were easy. I found the bulb holders in the footwell and fitted bulbs to them I also got an interior light from ebay with the map reading bulbs. This was from a Ford Fusion which made it a lot cheaper than one that said it was Land Rover! (It cost £8 delivered!) I also acquired some none genuine mudflaps and fitted those and they were a doddle and look great! I also bought a set of Pedal Covers from Powerful.

I was always a little bit disappointed with the ride of this one compared to my last one which was a HSE Lux. I thought it would be the same as they were both on 19 inch wheels but this had a wallowy feel when you went round corners and almost seemed to wobble/over steer when you straightened up. The tyres that were on it were budget ones although in good condition but after reading some reviews of them I decided (and hoped) that these would be the cause of the soft ride. I wanted something with a little bit more of an off road type tread and settled on Falken Wildpeak as they seem to have great reviews. I found a guy who was selling a set that had come off his Freelander and had covered less than 1000 miles!! I snapped them up and had them fitted. Handling was transformed immediately. What a difference!! The tyres are also quiet for AT ones so I'm really pleased with the result.

After this I took it on Monday to Bell Engineering for a Haldex Service and the diff oil changed. The oils were pretty clean but there was a build up of crap starting inside it and on the filter. I'd highly recommend Bell to anyone who hasn't had this done or has any kind of transmission related issues.

This week I finally felt up to fitting some roof rails I bought from Ebay. I took a gamble and went non genuine. First appearances was that they looked ok until I opened the box of fixings and found one of the rubbers was missing! Crying or Very sad I reported it to the seller who said they didn't carry spares and offered me £10 back!!! I refused and eventually he gave me a 50% refund. I luckily spotted a second hand fitting kit on ebay and bought it. This was a godsend as the fixings were far better quality than the ones that came with it and i now have a spare set of end caps!! They fitted ok to be fair slight bit of manipulation to get the holes to line up before I tightened them all down but I'm pleased with the end result. I also bought a genuine set of cross bars from ebay which were just the job (I had to patch the rubbers but a member off here sent me some spares)

All in all I'm pleased with the car and what I have done to it. I have peace of mind now for the Haldex and cam belt being done and with new tyres and brakes all round I shouldn't have to spend money on these for a while (fingers crossed) The car was fairly well priced when I bought it and even now with what I have spent on it I don't think I could get one that is as sorted as what this one is for anywhere near what it owes me. Smile

I have a few more things planned (as you do!)

Early in the year when I had it I immediately missed the heated steering wheel off the HSE Lux!! (First World problems!) I managed to win one on ebay this week and have sourced a heated wheel clock spring from a member on here. I've just got to decide whether I'm confident enough to have a go at fitting it myself or to take it and have it done!!

I'm contemplating having the wheels restored and painted gloss black to take away from how white the car is!! (white wouldn't have been my choice but it was the right car for me) Has anyone on here got these alloys in black?

I'm also considering having the roof painted or wrapped gloss black too for similar reasons but now the roof rails are on this does take it away from the roof so I'm undecided.

When I pluck up the courage I'm going to spray the side vents and the front grill gloss black as the front grill has a lot of marks on it from where water has dried onto it.

I'll probably get the rest of the fluids changed at some point, not sure when the brake fluid was last done and I'd like to flush the coolant and replace that.

I've also noticed that I haven't got the filter on the washer filler so I need to look for one of those too!!!

I think it will need a new battery by the time winter comes. Start Stop doesn't work and I immediately get the battery warning on the screen if its been on a few short journeys too.

I'd also like a matching spare tyre but Falken Wildpeaks are hard to find! I'll get one eventually though.

I love the car, its my 4th Freelander 2 and I bought this one as a second car and as a keeper. I've managed to stop myself looking at Autotrader for a Metropolis now and bar the sun roof, windsor leather electric seats, reversing cam and extra speakers I've pretty much got one!!! I did look at a couple of HSE lux and Metropolis but they were poor cars and very expensive. It's also nice having a 15 plate one and I've not noticed another one since I've owned it. I let my head rule my heart when I bought one and bought one on condition, age and history rather than spec alone.

This forum has always been great to get tips, hints and inspiration so if anyone wants to pick my limited knowledge then feel free!

I'll update this as and when I do things.

Post #409356 24th Jun 2021 12:40 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

That's a great tip to improve the interior light at the front, thanks. The standard one is not very bright and ebay is overflowing with the Ford ones you have used.

Post #409358 24th Jun 2021 2:14 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Looks like you've got a good one 👍
I think I'd consider doing those wheels a graphite grey colour which would change the appearance subtly rather than the stark contrast between black and white.
Considering doing that on my Orkney grey one. Keep the pictures of the mods coming. What are you using as your 1st car out of curiosity? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #409360 24th Jun 2021 3:08 pm
dan55

Congoblue, yes there was loads when I was looking so it’s an easy swap. Way brighter with the map lights too. I’m not a fan of LED aftermarket ones so this was just the job. Glad to help as I’ve had loads of help from here.

Bob, I’m hoping it is but I guess time will tell! I’ve done pretty much all I can think of for now. Haven’t considered graphite as everything Is (or will be) black or white on the car. I’ll have to look what others have have done though. Not going to rush them until I’m sure!

Daily drive is a 2019 Passat R line estate which is a stunning car but very plain and just gets on with everything, so with the Freelander as well I get the best of both worlds.

Post #409363 24th Jun 2021 3:21 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Good choice too, my wife has an R line Tiguan and son just bought an R line Polo. I have to slum it in my GS Freelander. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #409365 24th Jun 2021 4:03 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

+1 for wheels in Graphite - looks great on my black dynamic & I think would look just the job on white Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #409366 24th Jun 2021 4:51 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

+2 for graphite, I'll be getting my done soon Thumbs Up
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #409367 24th Jun 2021 4:54 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I think a black 'floating' roof would look well on the white car with its privacy glass.

Post #409370 24th Jun 2021 5:29 pm
dan55

I like the black floating roof idea too. Where do I stop it though? Do I do the A pillars and the roof only?

Hmmmm consensus on here is I look at Graphite Wheels then!

Post #409429 25th Jun 2021 6:25 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

From an earlier thread (11th Feb 2016) by 'Justwesty'…

https://www.freel2.com/forum/post290121.html#290121

Justwesty wrote:

Hope you all like, It has a gloss black wrap on the top half I think it looks the nuts and have never seen this done before

Post #409431 25th Jun 2021 6:54 pm
PRadd

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Santorini Black

Now that looks good Thumbs Up 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Manual Dynamic
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover
1956/7 88" Series One Land Rover - undergoing restoration

Post #409458 26th Jun 2021 12:05 pm
Cobbet1

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 S Manual Aintree Green

I put a heated wheel on mine a few years ago, worst thing was getting the airbag off, after that quite straightforward, think there is a write up on here that I followed, also I had my grille spars sprayed gloss black at the local paint shop, much improved the look
Andy

Post #409486 26th Jun 2021 8:14 pm
dan55

Thanks for the ideas! Still undecided on the black roof! Wasn’t sure whether to leave the C pillar white rather than black on the one in the pics. Wheels and roof can wait a while I guess while I make my mind up!!

Heated steering wheel arrived today Very Happy Very Happy

Post #409541 28th Jun 2021 1:40 pm
dan55

Nice mod done today Smile all ready for winter now!!

Old steering wheel and clock spring in the for sale section if anyone is after one.

Post #409789 5th Jul 2021 11:55 am
dan55

Had a trip to South Wales in Pembrokeshire this week. First holiday I’ve taken the Freelander away. Been brilliant and used it a fair bit this week. Here’s a pic outside the cottage we’ve stayed in. Appreciated the heated steering wheel a few mornings at last! Roof rails bars and box have all been good.

Post #413941 29th Oct 2021 5:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>