Home > Australia & New Zealand > New and Looking for Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cat

Australia 
New and Looking for Advice

Hi
I am considering buying a 2014 FL2 and am hearing conflicting stories. I am trying to get an idea of future issues, and running costs.
The vehicle I'm looking at has jus over 120K on the clock and has been very well maintained (nearly all log book entries are present) and the yard seems very reputable. The dealer has said that they have replaced the transfer case. I don't know if that is a 'regular' thing at a certain kms or if this is indicative of further problems.
Any advice or indications of costs and dramas would be gratefully received. Obviously, looks and comfort wise is a no brainer.
Thanks very much.

Post #409455 26th Jun 2021 9:26 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

If by "well maintained" you mean it has been serviced according to the JLR service schedule then that may explain the need to replace the PTU as JLR doesnt really do full preventative maintenance and expensive transmission components (gearbox, PTU, haldex and rear diff) suffer because of that.
JLR prefers you to just buy new parts.

It should have had a cambelt change with 75K miles (120K Km) on the clock - due in 7th year anyway.

Welcome BTW Jules

Last edited by jules on 27th Jun 2021 8:01 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #409479 26th Jun 2021 4:35 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Hi Cat, welcome.
Don't buy without a long warranty - even if you have to buy an aftermarket warranty to top up the mandatory 3 month warranty.
Have you had Land Rovers before? They are great but they are high on maintenance costs. LR dealers are terribly overpriced, find a local mechanic who knows Landys very very well. There are a few in Sydney.
A 2014 model should be connected to the Land Rover electronic maintenance records, which logs all the work. The dealer should be able to access those records and find out why the "transfer case" was replaced - Freelanders don't have one, they are probably meaning the Haldex unit, possibly the front diff. Find out about that. Also if the cambelt (not fan belt) has been changed.
Paper service records can be "retrospectively" filled in to give the appearance of a complete service history.

They can be a great car, I love mine, but they can be very costly as well.

I'll let someone else fill you in on the good points ...

HTH MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #409493 27th Jun 2021 3:02 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have one with a proper engine! Have always used my own mechanic & get him to check it before we go around Australia & also when we return. I let him know how many thousand km of corrugated roads it's done. No issues to date. Like any car have a healthy reserve for when things need fixing. Even getting a replacement tyre in remote areas costs a lot. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #409507 27th Jun 2021 1:25 pm
Levavi Oculus

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

Welcome Cat,

Don't know if you've already purchased or gone to a different vehicle.

My 2c = Watch for:
1-underside dents including the fuel tank and flattened heat protection (brand new mufflers are a give away on late models).
2-tow pigs that have been flogged out (lots of brake controller/ heavy rear wiring etc)
3-suspension bushings on cars from places with really rough roads (read Sydney)
4-SD4's which have had the guts flogged out of them by V8 drivers.

Sound like the PTU (Front diff) may have been replaced as the Haldex should not have given up at such a low km. Read tow pig above.

If you are fairly handy the FL2 Diesel is easy to maintain, with a little help from an LR dealer for the occasional reset of everything. I note the issue with computer controlled vehicles is not a LR only thing.

I am on my second FL2, it's a 2014 TD4 SE. Goes really well and makes interstate trips easy (when we are allowed) Statistics, where one can be one, two.

Post #411245 10th Aug 2021 2:19 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Well I’m guessing you guys scared him off then Rolling with laughter (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #419742 23rd Mar 2022 6:25 am
3landertwo

Levavi Oculus wrote:
Welcome Cat,

Don't know if you've already purchased or gone to a different vehicle.

My 2c = Watch for:
1-underside dents including the fuel tank and flattened heat protection (brand new mufflers are a give away on late models).

" ...... dents including the fuel tank ....."

the fuel tank is made of plastic

Post #419755 23rd Mar 2022 9:07 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

You can still push a dent that won’t come out easily into a plastic tank.
Stupidly, the tank on the Freelander 2 is the lowest point on the chassis even though it arches over the propshaft, hence the Mantec tank protector.

Post #419776 23rd Mar 2022 3:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1