Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OddballZA

South Africa 2010 LR2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White
Crank but no start

Y
Hey Landy Fam...

Kind of hoping someone here has had or knows someone who has had the same problem I now find myself with on my 2010 Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 HSE Auto.

I was at a mate's house about 35km from where I live (No issues on my way there), and we decided to nip out to the shop up the road. Got into my car, reversed into the road and my Freelander stopped dead. Mighty strange, so I pop her into park and hit the start button. Engine cranks long and hard for around 10 seconds and doesn't start, so I try again, and again and start getting really worried (I'm stuck in the middle of the road, thankfully a quiet one).

I get out, scratch my head and pop the bonnet. Everything looks, sounds and smells OK. More head scratching ensues. I check battery voltage even though she is cranking strongly, battery is just fine so I get in and try start again... Nothing...

Call the rest of the mates and I figure out I can still shift into neutral (everything is normal except it doesn't catch when cranking) and we push her off the road. I plug in my trusty el cheapo OBD scan tool and Torque tells me everything is fine, except for a warning I've known about for a few months for "Glow plug heater circuit A" which i will be replacing shortly, parts are damned expensive over here.

Puzzled, I take to Google and see the no start issue is likely a fuel filter. It's a Saturday evening so nothing I can do about it even if I wanted to so I left the car at the mates place and had it towed to mine this morning.

With much information gleaned from the various forums and from YouTube, I set out to check the fuel filter. Disconnecting the fuel lines on each side reveals the presence of diesel. Loosening the pipes on top of the injectors also reveals the fuel is flowing, a quick test crank proves this when diesel jets out.

More googling and I don't get much further. I have removed the airflow sensor and cleaned it with electrical cleaner as well just for good measure although a faulty sensor would inhibit performance not cause the engine to not start completely.

Cranking the engine again and still won't catch. Second time I try cranking it I get a message on the dash display saying Reduced Engine Performance so I decide to plug the OBD tool in again and I cringe.

Amongst a whole load of other minor/random fault codes unrelated to engine or transmission, I now have a code for the crankshaft position sensor, the airflow sensor, another one that says one of my cylinders is faulty and a few others. I will attach pics taken of the codes to this post if I can get it right.

Question is, why were these codes not showing yesterday? Is it possible that I'm getting some of them as a result of the engine not starting or are they actual faults? I'm going to get a new airflow sensor as well as a crankshaft sensor tomorrow, just hoping to avoid more costly repairs being needed down the road as well.

Oh, and if things weren't already strange, my power windows stopped working about a week ago. The controls on each door have stopped working (as did the rear window child lock button on the drivers side) but the front passenger side control still works, as does opening/closing the windows from the key fob by holding down the lock/unlock button, which still operates all four windows as if nothing was wrong.

Any insight or advice on the above would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Post #409044 13th Jun 2021 10:33 pm
OddballZA

I am having trouble uploading the pics of the fault codes from my OBD tool, please visit my identical post on landy one to view codes:

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/str...st-5173886

(Apologies if links are not allowed, I will remove if need be)

Post #409045 13th Jun 2021 10:36 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Can't help with non start due to lack of technical knowledge but could spurious faults be due to battery going flat from all cranking? It is known to throw up odd faults. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #409049 14th Jun 2021 4:00 am
alex_pescaru

The error for the crankshaft sensor is appearing when there is a real problem with it.
This error generally doesn't appear even when there is a slight problem with the sensor, but when it does appear, then surely is something wrong with it.
Start there, as it's cheaper than the airflow sensor and the engine should start even with the airflow sensor disconnected if all others are OK.
First disconnect the sensor's connector and look for corrosion inside.

Post #409050 14th Jun 2021 6:19 am
OddballZA

GlynnB wrote:
Can't help with non start due to lack of technical knowledge but could spurious faults be due to battery going flat from all cranking? It is known to throw up odd faults.

Most definitely agree there, 75% of the faults picked up don't give me cause for concern, they will likely clear after the next successful start or two.

Post #409052 14th Jun 2021 8:15 am
OddballZA

alex_pescaru wrote:
The error for the crankshaft sensor is appearing when there is a real problem with it.
This error generally doesn't appear even when there is a slight problem with the sensor, but when it does appear, then surely is something wrong with it.
Start there, as it's cheaper than the airflow sensor and the engine should start even with the airflow sensor disconnected if all others are OK.
First disconnect the sensor's connector and look for corrosion inside.

I have already ordered replacement sensors, figure I might as well cover all my bases. Will whip out the Crankshaft sensor when the new one arrives. Have previously done a clean on the airflow sensor and its looking somewhat covered in dirt again, so I am going to replace it anyways. Will take it step by step from there. Definitely doing glowplugs, will see what else demands my attention once the critical things have been taken care of.

Post #409053 14th Jun 2021 8:17 am
ribama1

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I guess you have by now found the solution. If you are cranking the engine and the revs do not show up on the rev counter then it is your crank sensor.
Everything you have said points to that. It went on mine about a month ago.
The effect of the sensor not showing seeing that the engine is turning over, is that the injectors stay off.
It's good news because it's a 10min job to replace it.
But if you pull it out tap it a few times and put it back it'll most likely start working again.

Post #409394 24th Jun 2021 10:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1