« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Android Auto raspberry pi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rhys_m

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Android Auto raspberry pi

Hi All, pretty new to this forums we bought my other half a freelander 2 a few days ago, shes loving it so far. I have a Jaguar XF myself, and have been working on a project to replace the factory fit screen with a raspberry pi. The XF screen controls everything, so have been doing some canbus decoding to hopefully get enough of the IDs that I can replace the screen at some point (currently have temperature control, volume, skip, heated/cool seats all decoded among some others). So once we got the freelander and I realised the screen only did sat nav and nothing else I saw a pretty good opportunity to add this to the freelander, with it being much more simple.

Anyway, I have been putting some posts on the freelander 2 facebook page, but thought I would add to here as its less likely to get lost. Its a kind of bodge getting the screen in for now, but i ordered a spare fascia to get it all set up, so now I have the original that I can work on to get it a bit less intrusive. Heres a video of it in action (excuse the music, my other half has questionable to taste in music)

I had a little play with the canbus on the freelander 2, kind of hoping some of the IDs would be the same as the jag.....But ofcourse they arent, managed to decode a couple, heated seats, and parking sensors switch but I was really hoping that the steering wheel controls were on there, but I had no luck in the quick play I had earlier. Looking at the drawings the steering wheel controls go to the infotainment control module, which has CAN and MOST, but MOST goes to the headunit, so doubt that the controls are relayed over the CAN bus too.

Documentation I done for the freelander is here

I will update the git with any decoded messages aswell, in the sameway that I have done for the jag, if anyone wants to have a play with the can messages, I have written a guide on the jag git thats exactly the same for the freelander.

https://github.com/rhysmorgan134/JaguarXf_CAN

A little video of what can be done when you interact on the CAN bus, here the jag control panel is sending skip forward/back messages over can, and also the home command for that factory screen, but the new screen is also picking up these commands

And a bit more of a raw video showing messages sent from a pi over can to the car

Post #376980 18th Aug 2019 11:52 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Now this is proper cool Very Happy Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #376986 18th Aug 2019 12:34 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yeah, and too bloomin’ complicated for me Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #376990 18th Aug 2019 1:21 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Nice work!

I find having a simulator helps for reverse engineering protocols;

Click image to enlarge

If you're willing to shell out for professional grade hardware (PeakCan, ~£170 from COMSOL) then I can strongly recommend the free for use BusMaster developed by Bosch and Etas amongst a few big names. Give most of the functionality of Automotive engineering grade software.

To get the rig running, I simply recorded some data from the FL2 and play it back into the rigs CANbus. You can very quickly plug devices into the rig and instantly identify there transmission address, very hand!

Let me know by PM if you struggle to find any specific button presses, I might be able to track them down on the rig quicker.

Nice to see someone playing with the Bus!

Post #377015 18th Aug 2019 6:06 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Blimey, no thanks.....when I wanted anything like that done I used to wander down to Steve in Electrical Prototyping Laughing

I am retired now and no idea where Steve lives now.......but I know your in here Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377019 18th Aug 2019 7:13 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Whooooa way beyond me Mr. Green

Post #377020 18th Aug 2019 7:26 pm
rhys_m

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Wow, that is amazing, that must of taken some time an effort! What have you been using the rig for?

Yeah I have seen some of the professional CAN stuff, however I get moaned at for buying a pi, so it might be a struggle, I do have some CAN diagnostic stuff kicking around from an old job I had, but it's not crossed my mind to see if I can use it on the car....

Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on that no doubt, looks like your fl2 rig is much new than mine though, it does look very similar in functionality to the jag though (the screen UI is the same as the newer jags) so would definitely be interested to know if what I have deccoded on the jag already is cross compatible with the newer fl2 like yours.

Post #377022 18th Aug 2019 7:36 pm
departy

Guys that's pretty awesome. Do you have a GIT repo for the freelander?

Post #408195 23rd May 2021 1:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1