Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Collecting New FL2 on Thursday! Excited? No SCARED!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
companydriver

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Collecting New FL2 on Thursday! Excited? No SCARED!

Hi Guys,

I am collecting my FL2 on Thurs afternoon. I was previously looking fwd to it but now to be honest I am
s Censored ing myself. I mean, life is awkward enough without having to fool around with a car that might not start, following starting might stop, then might not restart...etc...

I have been to my doctor where I have explained that am currently having recurring nightmares:

-I am being chased by the sound of clicking wiper blades, the smell of burning oil and an odometer...that runs backwards Shocked Exclamation In my panic to drown out the clicking wipers I reach for the radio...but to my horror it freezes as soon as I touch the dial Shocked and the clicking gets louder...to make matters worse I can feel water around my feet Shocked I realise that the car is slowly filling with water which is entering via the rear window around the brake light! Shocked the water gets higher and higher...then I wake up. Embarassed

Luckily, when I awake I realise that it was all a bad dream and in fact my FL2 hasn't yet arrived. Laughing

Phew!

I hope I do not regret ordering a FL2. Neutral

Post #4078 26th Jun 2007 9:24 pm
Icarus

Netherlands 

Hi CD,

I'm sure you will keep us informed on your findings. Since I'm in doubt whether to go for a FL2 or for the VW Tiguan I'm looking forward to your well written reports.
To be honest I'm almost sure that the FL2 is a very fine car: one of the best (diesel) engines available at the moment and proven Haldex coupling for 4WD. Capabilities on- and off-road will be great.
My doubts concerns unexpected maintenance costs being higher than average.

Since you are a CD these maintenance costs may not bother you...?!

Rob VW Tiguan or Freelander 2 that's the question...

Post #4079 26th Jun 2007 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
companydriver

Icarus,

will definately keep you posted on my FL2. I know the car has many great features (ride, engine, gearbox, looks, refinement) I just hope that they won't be outweighed by problems.

-True, being a companydriver will mean costs are less important to me in terms of running, although my company car tax is increasing by £600 per year compared to running my Audi A3 1.9tdi.

Have you test driven the FL2 yet? I was really impressed. Enough to order one! When is the Tiguan out?

CD Cool

Post #4080 26th Jun 2007 10:26 pm
Icarus

Netherlands 

Hi CD,

Christmas 2006 I was in the LR dealership "De Uiver" close to my place. The salesman offered me a testdrive, but I didn't take that offer. At that time I was impressed by the looks of the FL2. But worrying about my budget and the actual costs to own one. In the Netherlands the price list starts at Euro 41,000. The Freelander of my choise, a diesel manual shift SE with "open roof" (not sure how this is called in real English), will be Euro 55,000.
Coming Sunday July 1 I will be the co-pilot of Superkoala for a so called RoadBook in Belgium. He owns a FL2 and hopefully I will get a good feeling about his nice car. Once again the unexpected costs is what keeps me busy. After two VW Passat diesel and lots of other cars I'm convinced about the quality level within the Volkswagen company.

The VW Tiguan will be presented at Frankfurt Automesse mid-september. The looks will be less impressive as a FL2. Technically spoken almost the same and all costs will be 10-20% below FL2 (at least over here).

As said I'm / we are looking forward to you reports. Including some nice pictures....?

Rob

VW Tiguan or Freelander 2 that's the question...

Post #4081 26th Jun 2007 10:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi Companydriver,

Believe it or not but tomorrow I will pick up my FL2 as well. Yesterday I was told that both car and papers arrived but there was a "small" error: instead of xenon lamps, a heated windscreen was ordered Censored
"Never happened before" the dealer said. Rolling with laughter
As it is not possible to mount retro fitted xenon lamps, I was faced with a choise: accept the car as it is or wait another 4 months for the right one. Banging Head

I started to surch on internet reactions, experiences and ideas about xenon lamps and found some interesting comments. The difference between Xenon lamps and halogen is most pronounced if a car has those slit-eyed head lamps but with those massive light boxes as the FL has, the difference should be much smaller. The lifetime of xenon bulbs is much longer but in the long run the reflector seems to burn in and discolour and if ever needed, those bulbs do cost a fortune. Idea

So eventually, I went for the car as it is: with halogen bulbs and a heated windscreen...

(just the idea: 4 months longer to wait Big Cry )

Post #4085 27th Jun 2007 8:32 am
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Paul

I had Xenons on my previous car (SAAB 93) and thought I was really going to miss them on the FL2. I've done a fair bit of night driving and the halogens on the FL2 are really good. So good, I don't really miss my old xenons. Now I haven't driven an FL2 with xenons, so I can't compare fully, but I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I think a heated screen will be more useful.

Post #4086 27th Jun 2007 8:47 am
Paul

That's nice to hear boiledgnat. I'll let you know my findings soon.

Post #4087 27th Jun 2007 9:23 am
The Villager

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Good Morning Companydriver and Paul (Wed.AM)
Only one day togo, I remember the excitement when I collected my SE Jan 3rd.
I had 3 Freelander1, wonderful cars, but the Freelander2 is in a class of its own, why did the call it a Freelander, nothing like it. This car has kerb appeal, wonderful to drive on road and the ability to beat most 4/4s off road, safety, bags of room inc head space
Look I could write a book on the wonders of this car, I am not going to spoil the thrill you will get when driving your new baby.
Just one more thing, Had my car 6 months, apart from software update, PERFECT
ENJOY
David David

Post #4089 27th Jun 2007 9:41 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well guys don't get put off by the negative comments in this forum. People usually moan about bad things much easier than writhing about good things. I think that FR2 is a great car. Non-start etc are problems on tha first cars only, and have been fixed with software upgrades. Hence, I wouldn't spoil the great and long awaiting moment of my FR2 delivery with all that CompanyDriver. Think positive. Very Happy Hopefully all will be fine. By the way Icarus, apart from the price issue, let me tell you just that: if you worry about maintanance problems don't get a VW. We have a Polo in the family (2 years now) and maintenance costs are so high that I wouldn't mind changing it for a Series I Land Rover! Rolling with laughter In addition it just reminds me of a RAV4! Whistle

Post #4091 27th Jun 2007 10:03 am
companydriver

David and Defkalion, Good to know that perfectly running FL2s DO EXIST. I was truly beginning to think I'd stitched myself up! Laughing

If the car is problem free I will be truly made up.

Paul -bad luck with the xenons Crying or Very sad I'm sure having the car 4 months earlier will outweigh waiting again. Post some pics of the car when you get it!

Icarus, I will definately post some photos over the weekend for you. I am getting the Green/alpaca interior...looking forward to not being immersed in black plastic for a change. Very Happy

Cheers all Thumbs Up

Post #4105 27th Jun 2007 5:48 pm
Icarus

Netherlands 

QUOTE>>but there was a "small" error: instead of xenon lamps, a heated windscreen was ordered<<UNQUOTE

Hi Paul, Bad luck... or just a Censored dealer..?!
If I were you I would tell the dealer that you did not order a car with a heated windshield. But "must-haves" THE XENON HEADLIGHTS. I would only accept the car without the Xenons if you receive the money back you have payed for them. In the Netherlands the list price is Euro 1610,--.
The heated windshield is Euro 520,--. only. But I would not pay for that feature, since you did not order it...

Sure you have signed the purchase contract and you did not notice the mistake, but I would hold the dealer responsible for that. The margin on FL2 must be more than high enough to compensate you.

See you next Sunday in Postel,

Rob VW Tiguan or Freelander 2 that's the question...

Last edited by Icarus on 27th Jun 2007 8:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #4109 27th Jun 2007 7:50 pm
Paul

Don't worry Icarus. Of course I didn't pay for the heated windscreen nor the Xenon headlamps. It was indeed a rather dissapointing assessment but I can live with it. The car is paid and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.
I look forward meeting you next Sunday. Thumbs Up

Post #4110 27th Jun 2007 7:58 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Paul, Hope this is in time, but if you look at the bottom of the outer lens of the dipped part of the headlight you will see "H7/D1S" moulded in. The beam section just has "H7"
A friend of mine that works for VW saw that and said "Oh, that means you can upgrade to Xenons easily, then" I asked him for further info and he said that the halogen to Xenon was a straight swap, just needing the bulb unit and associated control unit. i.e. the headlamp unit is common to both system. Obviously this is not for the adaptive system. Apparently they upgrade VW`s all the time.
Perhaps it`s worth getting your dealer to check on some spare xenon light parts! Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #4128 28th Jun 2007 11:18 am
Paul

nicam, very interesting. However, from a legal point of view Xenons should have an automatic height control.
Do you think this as well could be solved ?

Post #4129 28th Jun 2007 12:07 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

On the D3 many people with halogens buy Xenon units on ebay, they are a straight swap, but it might take a while before they start to appear. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #4130 28th Jun 2007 12:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>