« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > JLR Project Reimagine- The Future as seen by JLR Chairman
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
JLR Project Reimagine- The Future as seen by JLR Chairman

I think that this is intended for JLR Investors, but it does give a clue to the hopes and dreams of the new JLR Chairman.
(watch the video on this site)
https://www.jaguarlandrover.com/reimagine

It looks like Land Rover are heading well north of my personal possible realistic 'Car Budget'.

Although he does suggest that we may move on to a 'Subscription Based' (Rental?) method of running cars.
I take it that this would be an 'all in' rental with the drivers only responsibility would be to jump in and drive, all maintenance, insurance, and other costs would be covered by the manufacturer and/or rental company.

At least that way I may be able to afford to drive a Land Rover every other Tuesday. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #407498 8th May 2021 10:29 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

The LR all-in rental/subscription scheme is apparently called Pivotal (who makes these things up?!). Info is at https://www.landrover.co.uk/offers-and-fin...ption.html. So while you could get a new Defender 90 on the scheme for £1250 a month, you wouldn't be allowed to take it off-road! Rolling with laughter 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #407501 9th May 2021 7:28 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Just shows that LR have no interest whatsoever in the ordinary motorist any longer. There is no "entry level" product, everything is geared towards the upper echelon starting at £850 a month 😆.
Do they not realise or care that a small basic 4x4 for sensible money would fly out of the showroom? My dad a long time landrover fan and owner has gone to Skoda Yeti 4x4s for his last two cars, he's just placed an order for a new, fairly high specced Skoda Karoq 2.0 TDI auto 4x4, around the £33k mark. What could landrover have offered him? Nothing. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #407505 9th May 2021 8:45 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Traditionally Jaguar was never interested in Joe public, they were always seen as a luxury and expensive brand, the X-Type was a nice car but not really aimed at traditional jaguar owners - a case of Jaguar losing its way?

Range Rover again was never aimed at working class owners, a capable limousine of its age, so where does the Ewok fit into this image? the wife of the owner of a FFRR maybe? again not an affordable proposition for the average car driver. So maybe the lower spec Ewoks will get dropped (they are abysmal cars and a nasty place to be) in favor of high class shopping trolleys.

Land Rover on the other hand was aimed at farmers, builders, tree surgeons - working vehicles, The Disco 5 proved that they had dropped that idea, the new Defender is probably more in the spirit of the original Disco, a 4x4 aimed at the SUV market, certainly not a working tool that you would want to send into a quarry day after day.

So where does that lead the DS? with the Ewok the other car that is selling well and possibly propping up the business, easy continue to sell as many as possible for as much as possible while diverting the profits to fund development of the new milk floats that are coming up, and when the time is right pull the plug - they are not the perceived luxury cars that JLR want to be seen to be associated with.

Couple of problems
JLR are not a mass producer on the scale of Nissan or VW, they cannot buy in the bulk of these manufacturers and cannot have the economies of scale, so will always be more expensive.
In that case sell on quality, innovation, and desirability.
Good luck with the quality, especially if you are going even more complicated.
Innovation seems to be the thrust of the lecture.
Desirability ..... well you can't sell it as a British vehicle, Defender and Disco5 are made in Europe, and the ones sold in China are made there. Maybe there is more to be desired than "British Engineering", but I fail to see it.

Lets be honest JLR manufacture cars, they are only interested in new car sales, and what percentage of us here have actually bought a brand new LR.. As proved by the Defender mess JLR do not care about 2nd owners, the dealerships do but their hands are tied.

Did anyone spot that 1 in 4 JLR designers are software designers (spread across UK, Ireland and China) with all the fuss about Chinese government interference with phone software it would make me more than a little cautious. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #407510 9th May 2021 11:11 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

This is an interesting take on what farmers want.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/flindt-on-...wn-to-size 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #407518 9th May 2021 1:57 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

14 years ago now, but the runout FL1 models were selling for £12-16k

If there was something in the green oval range that was "around" that price, I'd have 2 as our courtesy cars, and a third for the wife

An entry level 2wd Evoque/DS is now £30k Rolling Eyes

Post #407519 9th May 2021 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

At launch in 2006 the FL2 "S" TD4 was £20,935
Inflation over the last 15 years this would equate to around £30k - so base model DS is keeping pace with inflation.

Problem is stuff like the Hyundia have come along with increased specifications but not had price increases in keeping with inflation making the DS look poor value for money.

If you wait until the DS replacement is available, then LR may want to shift existing stocks of the DS, fully loaded at keen prices. I did the same in 2000 when I bought my new FL1, the BMW engined version was just about to be launched so they were trying to dump the old model. Turned out to be a mistake, the newer version didn't eat gearboxes, IRDs, differentials, propshaft bearings, and tyres like the old version did, and it was more powerful and used less fuel. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #407567 10th May 2021 10:45 am
Dartman the one

England 

Hyundai SF is now only available as a hybrid and starts at £41500 not that cheap Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #407569 10th May 2021 11:13 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Bobupndown wrote:
Just shows that LR have no interest whatsoever in the ordinary motorist any longer. There is no "entry level" product, everything is geared towards the upper echelon starting at £850 a month 😆.
Do they not realise or care that a small basic 4x4 for sensible money would fly out of the showroom?

Of course they don’t care, there is more profit further up the aspiration tree. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #407583 10th May 2021 5:46 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
This is an interesting take on what farmers want.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/farm-life/flindt-on-...wn-to-size

We use pick-ups on the farm, but for anything that we don’t mind the smell of or it won’t decapitate us under braking we have small vans like the Caddy.

Hilux 4WD £28K same for the Navara etc etc Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #407586 10th May 2021 6:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1