Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Stop-Start fault P164C-00. NOW FIXED...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Stop-Start fault P164C-00. NOW FIXED...

As the title say's I have a fault now with the stop-start system. It does not work, not even the light on the button. I have the fault code P164C-00 Which states it's a communication error.

Anyone have any ideas. Whistle Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Last edited by gasman on 30th May 2022 1:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #407360 5th May 2021 5:53 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Is the battery good ?

Post #407363 5th May 2021 6:32 pm
gasman

Hi SYFL2

Battery is fine at about 12.44v. and has just been load tested about a week ago, also OK. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407366 5th May 2021 7:02 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I’d try a power reset, but this way, run the engine on tick over for 5 mins, stop the engine with key still in the slot or keyless? leave on the seat 5 mins, take keys out 5 mins, disconnect battery wait 5 mins, short leads together 5 mins.

Free leads refit and yes wait 5 mins,

Refit leads to battery again the dreaded 5 mins.

Lock then unlock the car and start and then go for a run and test.

The reason I have said this as I stopped on the M5 motorway services last week for a rest and noticed an AA patrol with a LR Velar, the patrolman was doing this 5 minute routine as I couldn’t wait to ask why? I did the usual ie social distancing and got into his technical speel as he said this is what he is trying with these computers on wheels. The Velar’s fault was that the stop start was working but the car did fail to restart and had a hiccup on the hard shoulder during a traffic jam. The lady who owned the car called the AA as she limped down the hard shoulder to the services. The car was just 12 months old. His routine did work and the car resumed back to normality. I watched them drive around the carpark for a while and then I left.

Post #407379 5th May 2021 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wow that’s something new Thumbs Up

Post #407386 6th May 2021 2:43 am
gasman

That's an unusual one 'davyboy'

Not a 5 minute job then. Rolling with laughter

I'll give it a go and report back. Thanks Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407389 6th May 2021 9:11 am
bomeo

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Galway Green

davyboy wrote:
I’d try a power reset, but this way, run the engine on tick over for 5 mins, stop the engine with key still in the slot or keyless? leave on the seat 5 mins, take keys out 5 mins, disconnect battery wait 5 mins, short leads together 5 mins.

Free leads refit and yes wait 5 mins,

Refit leads to battery again the dreaded 5 mins.

Lock then unlock the car and start and then go for a run and test.

The reason I have said this as I stopped on the M5 motorway services last week for a rest and noticed an AA patrol with a LR Velar, the patrolman was doing this 5 minute routine as I couldn’t wait to ask why? I did the usual ie social distancing and got into his technical speel as he said this is what he is trying with these computers on wheels. The Velar’s fault was that the stop start was working but the car did fail to restart and had a hiccup on the hard shoulder during a traffic jam. The lady who owned the car called the AA as she limped down the hard shoulder to the services. The car was just 12 months old. His routine did work and the car resumed back to normality. I watched them drive around the carpark for a while and then I left.

Well, I remeber that for testing the quiescent current for freelander 2 you must wait 30 min for all module to go in sleep mode, than measure. It mus be something around 22 mA. I think the procedure you witnessed is meant to put all modules to sleep but in an certain order. It is a kind of hard reset more sofisticated. What error codes led him to do that, its hard to know.

Post #407411 6th May 2021 8:17 pm
bomeo

P164C-00 ? I cannot find this in the manual

Post #407412 6th May 2021 8:22 pm
gasman

OK davyboy, tried the AA mans reset method, no difference

bomeo P164C-00 is reference to a start-stop module or communication fault .

Just a bit of an update. I still have two issues with the car. Poor starting and non function of the stop-start system.
I have always looked at them as two separate issues. However I now think they are related to each other. Now I am the first to admit I'm not brilliant with car electronics, in fact I'm rubbish. If you look at these issues together there is one Item I think they both share and that is the clutch position sensor.
Now I could be wrong but the ecu needs to know when the clutch pedal is fully depressed to enable an engine start. If it gets an unreliable signal then it may or may not start the car.
The stop-start system also relies on the clutch switch to know when to cut the engine and when to do a restart.

Therefore I am going to replace the switch and see what happens.
Could be a couple of day's though as the weather forecast for the northeast is rubbish.
I'll post results when it's done. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Last edited by gasman on 7th May 2021 8:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #407454 7th May 2021 7:37 pm
bomeo

Start stop uses three signals from clutch pedal. TOP switch BOT switch and linear sensor on the master clutch pump. In fact, ECU needs TOT and BOT signals to verify plausibility position of linear clutch switch. I have a similar problem, somehow a litle bit different.
If the engine CRANKS OK , BOT swich is ok you don t have to change it.

Post #407456 7th May 2021 7:46 pm
gasman

Thanks bomeo
I was going to change it as SDD gives me the fault P164C-00 PCM - Clutch Pedal position sensor - signal unreliable. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407457 7th May 2021 8:16 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello gasman, well sorry the AA patrol mans reset didn’t work but I tried it out as I had a none start dilemma on Tuesday, well I didn’t but the wife did, I was a couple of hundred miles away and our freelander failed to start and she caught the bus home.

I did the 5 minutes etc reset and Wumf back to life, then had to work out how to drive two cars home, found my fault eventually it was the stop start button on the dash, it was all loose and wobbly, I took it apart and there is a plastic ball which sits in a slot sort of, it was just worn on one side. Main dealer 32 quid.

Well excellent news with yours would not have thought of the clutch position sensor well done the other forum myster..!

You know my company car Skoda Octavia some mornings I have to press the clutch pedal in so hard to allow cranking sometimes I wonder about it’s reliability. Car too?

Keep us posted.

Post #407460 7th May 2021 10:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bomeo

gasman wrote:
Thanks bomeo
I was going to change it as SDD gives me the fault P164C-00 PCM - Clutch Pedal position sensor - signal unreliable.

There is a confusion here. There are three clutch controls. Two switches and one sensor. The switches are mounted on tehe pedal and works with 12V and TWO wires, one conected to ground. The SENSOR is on main clutch pump and it is a linear sensors powered with 5V. THREE wires 5V, ground and signal. The signals from "mechanical" switches are used for Crank command, the bottom one, Cruise control, the top one and both are used to validate the signal transmitted by cliutch LINEAR SENSOR. witch works with start/ stop system.

Post #407490 8th May 2021 8:12 pm
gasman

Thanks bomeo, I was confused but not now. Thanks Thumbs Up

Where is the clutch position sensor located? You said it was on the clutch pump, where do I fined that. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Freelander now gone.

Post #407534 9th May 2021 5:16 pm
bomeo

It is mounted on the pump clutch so look in the direction of clutch pedal as the pump is linked directly to the pedal but in the engine bay. I have LHD and is very difficult I have to remove battery and battery tray, ABS pump. to change from engine bay. On RHD I think is diferent.

Post #407546 9th May 2021 8:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>