Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Steering angle sensor replacement coding or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green
Steering angle sensor replacement coding or not?

I’ve got the car in the local garage at the moment investigating the “Terrain Response error - special programs off” message on the dash. I’m being told the steering angle sensor is giving intermittent data which they can see in the live data. Its has been recalibrated and the code cleared but the message just comes back at random. Their now saying it’ll need a trip to the main dealer as a new unit will need coding to the car.

Anyone know if the sensor needs coding to the car (it’s a 2008 td4)?
If not how easy/hard is this to do? It looks like a disconnect the battery, remove airbag/steering wheel and it’s a complete replacement steering control unit ?
Can anyone confirm if this is correct part number LR018293?

Any help much appreciated

Post #404584 27th Feb 2021 9:41 am
richybeattie

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hey DigDil, did you get this sorted, mine has just started throwing a fault and kicking in all kinds of TRS errors. £200 from LRParts for the new sensor, but did you have to get it recoded? Freelander 2 TD4e GS MY2010 Stornaway Grey
Ford Transit H2L1 MY 2012 Royal Blue
Mercedes A45 AMG MY 2017 Mountain Grey

Post #406942 23rd Apr 2021 2:49 pm
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I didn't get to find out in the end. After the car being at the garage for four days they declared it would have to go the main dealer to replace the sensor. When I collected the car it wasn't throwing the warning so I took to driving everyday up till it went for its MOT and it hasn't return since.

I had the problem on/off four about four weeks I did all the usual things disconnect the battery full charged it checked fuses,etc. I can only think it was down to standing most to the winter and get very damp inside.

Just one point the part number in my first post is for the housing not the sensor if anything I'd say that looks more likely to need coding as it look to control most of the things in the column.

If you do replace it I suspect it'll need to the recalibrated. My code reader has the function but not for the year of the car I wonder if it needs doing manually which seems to be the case with other LR car of the same age.

I'd be interested to know how you get on as I suspect this problem will return when its most inconvenient!.

Post #407019 25th Apr 2021 8:48 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

I would call the dealership and query the service advisor. They should know or check with a dealership mechanic. I believe you will have to have it coded.

@DigDil, did you or the mechanic ever disco the battery positive and negative completely and bridge the cables for a few seconds? Your issue sounds like the data in the electronic module was corrupt.

Post #407022 25th Apr 2021 12:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1