« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > rooftop tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
minty

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
rooftop tent

Has anyone fitted a rooftop tent to a freelander2?. I want to fit one to my landy and would like some feed back from anyone who has used one.

Post #406518 12th Apr 2021 12:18 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi and welcome Thumbs Up

Have a go with the search button in the Banner line above ^

type in "roof tent" and away you go as a number of posts for you to have a look at

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #406520 12th Apr 2021 12:33 pm
3landertwo

https://tentbox.com/customer-stories-dave/

https://mikeshouts.com/ikamper-hardtop-one...-top-tent/

....... just a few, of many.

Post #406532 12th Apr 2021 4:31 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

You may want to look at this thread. The Freelander roof rails are not the most stable structure https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35376.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #406562 13th Apr 2021 11:22 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Think about where you are going to use it, and who is going to use it.

Hard top roof tents are very quick to put up, weather proof when closed, but you are limited to the amount of space.
Canvas ones will take around 15 minutes to get up - by the time you have taken off the outer cover, flipped over the floor, fitted the stabiliser rods and attached the ladder. 15 minutes in the rain putting it back down the next morning can be miserable, so less fun in the UK but acceptable in Morrocco.
Now the interesting bit, turn a canvas one sideways, and you then have a shelter that in our case had a tent attachment - She who must be obeyed really did enjoy the "Shower attachment" at the end of a day messing about in the desert. It gets better, we had been traveling with a group of like minded nutters, when a couple of the girls were wandering off into the woods with shovels, Gill asked what they were up to !! That they didn't have a toilet tent and potapotty was a surprise - instant brownie points.

When we came across scorpions it came as good news that they were unlikely to be able to climb the ladder while we were asleep in the tent. In the desert we found that the wind gets up just before sundown - the exact time you expect to be putting the tent up, ground tents at this point are just huge kites.

Unfortunately We didn't get to go back in the FL2, our trip was in a FL1, hope to be doing it again in the Disco Sport.

Click image to enlarge
 Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #406568 13th Apr 2021 5:02 pm
cucufate696

I had a James Baroud for 2 people for three years. Pros: more comfortable than a floor tent, you can open it and close it in seconds, feels somewhat “safer”than a floor tent, specially when camping near cows,not too noisy when driving. Cons: heavy to install and remove, so you have to coordinate with neighbours or friends for a hand, expensive compared to a floor one, restricting when entering parkings and without the right rack looks sits too high for my taste. Overall I was very happy but it’s definitely a commitment and an investment.

Post #417149 16th Jan 2022 10:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1