« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Battery light on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bobcr

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Indus Silver
Battery light on

I wonder if anyone can help diagnose why my red battery light has started to come on, sometimes it goes off but its on most of the time.
I checked the battery before starting the engine with a multimeter and it was showing 10v, when running it slowly creeps up to about 12.5v and stays there with the red light on, putting lights, screen heaters etc on makes no difference, nor does increasing the revs. I have looked at the blue wire from the alternator which looks ok, so does the alternator drive belt.
Dies this sound like a failing alternator?
Any advice much appreciated

Post #405041 9th Mar 2021 5:03 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

There is a blue wire which sometimes gets damaged/chafed or just corroded which goes to the alternator to tell it to charge (LIN bus signal). If damaged like mine and many others on here have experienced then the battery light comes on and no charging happens.

Could be this, have a look through these posts:

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32004.ht...tery+light

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27454.html?highlight=blue+wire

Post #405042 9th Mar 2021 5:27 pm
bobcr

I checked the blue wire it looks fine

Post #405043 9th Mar 2021 5:29 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 
Re: Battery light on

bobcr wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help diagnose why my red battery light has started to come on, sometimes it goes off but its on most of the time.
I checked the battery before starting the engine with a multimeter and it was showing 10v, when running it slowly creeps up to about 12.5v and stays there with the red light on,

I would be surprised if a 10v battery would start a car.

Faulty battery? How old is it?

Post #405087 10th Mar 2021 10:10 pm
bobcr

Not sure how old the battery is but must be a few years old but would a dud battery make the red charging light come on at the dash ?

Post #405090 10th Mar 2021 10:38 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I would also be surprised if a battery at 10V would start the car, that the voltage rises by 2.5V is indicative that the alternator is giving some charge. It would normally go from 12V to 14.5V - this to me indicates that the voltage tester is out of calibration.
If you could get hold of a cheap OBDII reader you could ask the engine management system what voltage it thinks it is seeing, this should give a reliable indication of voltage.

Whether the alternator is fine / partially failed is not the point really, the light on the dash does need fixing.

Batteries on these cars are on borrowed time after about 5 years, even when they can start the car they can still cause a multitude of faults - flagging up traction control, gearbox, entertainment, engine management faults. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #405093 11th Mar 2021 9:54 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

10V is way too low for the battery.

First off, remove the battery and get it checked by someone with a battery tester (which checks charge and current capacity as well as voltage).

Also might want to check for any large current draw from the battery with the vehicle off, just in case there's a short or parasite draw somewhere.

If the battery is good and the wiring is good then my guess would be the alternator.

Post #405108 11th Mar 2021 5:10 pm
RichardM

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Andy131 wrote:
I would also be surprised if a battery at 10V would start the car, that the voltage rises by 2.5V is indicative that the alternator is giving some charge. It would normally go from 12V to 14.5V - this to me indicates that the voltage tester is out of calibration.
If you could get hold of a cheap OBDII reader you could ask the engine management system what voltage it thinks it is seeing, this should give a reliable indication of voltage.

Whether the alternator is fine / partially failed is not the point really, the light on the dash does need fixing.

Batteries on these cars are on borrowed time after about 5 years, even when they can start the car they can still cause a multitude of faults - flagging up traction control, gearbox, entertainment, engine management faults.

And the Stop/Start will stop working. Richard M

Post #405118 11th Mar 2021 9:47 pm
Safeman23

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hi All

On the subject of the charging circuit. I have a facelift freelander 2 2013 with heated screens and seats, stop start. looking for a replacement alternator. The choice is 150A and 180A associated with the VIN number. I'm inclined to go for the 180A variant.

I also have the battery light on with the fault as charging circuit press Ok to cancel the fault. Battery volts about 12.4 down to 11.5V with the lights on. Engine running is about 14.7 V so alternator is giving some charge. New battery on order. SDD want to re enable the battery link!! Done that but not cured the fault.

This fault started after I installed Land Rover 13 pin towing loom. Plug and Play then tested with the van all lights work!!

Just getting cost together hoping a new battery will do the trick

Thanks

Post #405157 12th Mar 2021 6:39 pm
Cabit

France 

Bonjour bob j aimerais savoir quelle était ton problème quand tu avais aucune accélération sur ton freelander merci

Post #408326 27th May 2021 3:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1