« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Bad vibes , but not all the time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chrism551

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
Bad vibes , but not all the time

Hi all, back again with more freelander woes. After successfully replacing the glow plugs, inlet manifold and throttle body, as well as an egr blank, car does run a lot better, less Smokey and shuts down real smooth. Still a bit rough starting on a mild morning, but I’ll live with that. Having been back on the road a week or so, it now has another interesting issue. Not all the time, but when driving at speeds towards 30mph, we get quite bad vibration through the car. The sun visors shake and you can feel it through the seats, not steering wheel, so I’m assuming real end issues. Tyres on rear are fairly new so decent tread, fronts are just over the wear limit so due to be replaced soon. Quiet whine from rear , not sure if wheel bearing or diff, although diff was supposed to have been done before we got it. Slowing down to a stop cleared it for me today, the missus the other day at a faster speed,, slowed down to a junction and turned off to stop as it was that bad, but that seemed to clear it and it was fine all the way home. I know the handbrake has been sticking on rear passenger side, intermittent squealing, so could a damaged brake lining cause this?

Post #404780 3rd Mar 2021 9:52 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The linings have been known to detach from the shoes in the rear brake drums. There’s always the possibility that the reason why the vibration is intermittent is the linings moving around in there, catching sometimes, and not others.

Post #404781 3rd Mar 2021 10:26 pm
Chrism551

Well that’s a possibility cos they didn’t sound good. I have slacked off the adjuster behind the handbrake and while the adjuster bar doesn’t pull on evenly, the cables barely move, so something is amiss. The handbrake was barely usable, loads of travel and car never really held. Our local garage did an inspection and declared the items inside as new, but assembled wrong. It lasted about a week before rolling away into a road, so clearly they were talking Censored . It’s been rubbish ever since, but I did take up some slack prior to its mot to make sure it got through. Maybe time to have a better look. Any links to a how to?

Post #404782 3rd Mar 2021 10:59 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Not sure what drive shaft the TD4 has, but the I6 driveshaft is prone to vibrate around that speed range when the U-joint is worn. That was my experience. Started around 140k miles.

Post #404792 4th Mar 2021 2:23 am
tooslow964

Wales 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Hi
I had very similar on my D4. It was first diagnosed a propshaft as centre bearing/rubber was worn, but ultimately was a problem with the handbrake shoes dragging

Post #404798 4th Mar 2021 9:11 am
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Any increase in judder when going up hills at low speeds? With windows down can you hear a metallic clatter, especially over speed bumps/potholes?

Post #404839 5th Mar 2021 3:59 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

merlinj79 wrote:
Not sure what drive shaft the TD4 has, but the I6 driveshaft is prone to vibrate around that speed range when the U-joint is worn. That was my experience. Started around 140k miles.

Interesting i6 observation! Thumbs Up
Something to keep in mind.

Post #404857 5th Mar 2021 1:38 pm
Chrism551

So I’ve stripped the drum to have a look, shoes were definitely dragging. This is a picture of passenger side setup. Looking at a previous post on here and comparing pictures, it looks like the expander is fitted upside down.? Can anyone confirm this please. The drum has been left slightly lipped, disc thickness average of 11.5mm but a lip on the edge. Shoes are approx 4mm but drop to less at the top in the middle, not sure if this has been the wear point and if they have worn out of round, what the implication is. Calliper looks like it’s come from the bottom of the sea, pad thickness of 4mm inboard, 6mm outboard. Any recommendations on what to reuse and what to swap out. Seems pretty much all the suspension bushes are shot too, but I’ll start a separate thread for advice on that. Apologies picture is 90 degrees count. Embarassed

Post #404864 5th Mar 2021 5:06 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I did mine over the Christmas break. I replaced everything, rotors, calipers, pads, shoes and all fittings, as it clearly hadn't been maintained since it left the factory. It's important to make sure that the parking brake actuator assembly and adjuster are clean and lubricated, and the shoe stand offs (contact points on the backplate) are rust free and sparingly lubricated with brake grease.

My brakes are now perfect, and parking brake actually holds on a steep hill too. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404880 6th Mar 2021 8:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1