Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Our FreeDeux's got a bad head... Cylinder Head
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Emma,

To the best of my knowledge the Volvo 3.2 and Land Rover 3.2 were both made at the FORD engine plant in the UK.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061023090651...icleid=287

The alignment tools should work for both.

The features of the tool need to be undersized so that they can fit the holes on the crankshaft

But if the features are too small then it will be possible to install it backwards

Note: the hand in the picture isn't mine, I did a screen shot from a Youtube video (you posted this video when you started this adventure)

Take care

Paul

Post #404575 26th Feb 2021 11:30 pm
Emma Scully

United Kingdom 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Alaska White

Hello boys and girls,

hope that you're all safe and well and polishing your lovely FreeDeuxs!! Very Happy

I have yet another question and wonder if anyone has encountered this before?

I have had the manifold off several times and never changed the sealing ring, (I think sometimes called a doughnut/donut gasket?). it sits between the upper catalytic converter and front exhaust.

Click image to enlarge

It looks like a multi layer with shaped metal flanges and seems to be pressed into the manifold.

The ones I have, (and I have them from different head gaskets sets, all for the LR2/Volvo 3.2 but they just won't fit. I have searched and gone through the manual and there is no mention of the need to press or any special tool. I have ruined one trying the force it in. I even put it the gasket in the wood burner to heat it up, to see if it would expand but maybe I've watched too many old engineering films where train tyres are fitted!! For me it made no appreciable difference.

If I hadn't had two different sets of head gaskets I would have assumed that I have something of the wrong size but they are all exactly the same.

As mentioned, has anyone ever replaced these? I would be grateful for any advice you may have. If it was a rubber seal it would simply stretch over the lip but even using a flat screw driver to try and pry it over the lip doesn't work without damaging it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Auntie Emma x

Big Cry 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE
1980 Moto Guzzi 850 T3 California

Post #404939 7th Mar 2021 12:29 pm
Emma Scully

Hello lovely people! Very Happy

I have been searching the t'intenet today, I tried everything to get these gaskets to fit and after putting the manifold in the vice and showing the gasket a bit of aggression, it just started disintegrating...

Went on to Britcar and the image they have looks to be of a thinner gasket. I'm struggling with it though as the manifold/cats are exactly the same for the Volvo 3.2. The Volvo one is about £10.00 each whereas the genuine Land Rover ones are a mouth watering £70 plus each...

I have purchased two as this needs to get back together. If they are the same as the ones I have I will return them for a refund. I did have a thought the make a cut in the gasket, fit it in and then press exhaust paste/Gun Gum in the gap?

Ex 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #404987 8th Mar 2021 4:24 pm
Emma Scully

Hiya!

Today, the much awaited manifold catalyst gasket seals arrived. They look as if they have been machined again from the original ones as I can see marks on them. They are thinner and they fit perfectly, still a tight fit and compressible.

It does make me think though, how often these are swapped out because I have found very, very little about them on the internet and after buying two full head gaskets sets, (Ajusa and Victor Reinz), and components of them, each of these seals wouldn't fit. As far as I remember both said Volvo and LR2 3.2

These are two seals side by side, the Land Rover one is the above.

You can see the slight difference and it does look like the Land Rover one had been compressed again.

So, back to the workshop to get the manifolds onto the head and start rebuilding.

Stay safe lovely people,

Emma x 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #405334 16th Mar 2021 4:29 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Emma,

Your tenacity is legendary

Keep going

Paul
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #405346 16th Mar 2021 11:13 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Makes the rest of us look like a pathetic joke! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405347 17th Mar 2021 2:22 am
Emma Scully

Awwww thank you Paul and Lightwater, you do make me feel good xx

I know that it's a pain when things don't go the way they are supposed to but it is rewarding to find that I wasn't mad or incompetent! Whistle

It's really lovely to be able to write things in here without getting negative feedback. I have recently been investigating registering the car in France, it is after all LHD and I do live there most of the time. The advice I have received was and these really are quotes without even knowing that the car is having work done to her:
Scrap it
Sell it for parts
Return to UK and sell this LHD drive car... Grrrr!

They're also a bit like some of the DIY forums where the most common answer to questions is, 'If you have to ask, then you're not qualified to do the job'...

So thank you for your support!

Emma x

PS, How could you possibly look pathetic Lightwater, you have a car fit for a Nuclear Winter Thumbs Up 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #405351 17th Mar 2021 7:37 am
Lightwater

There is a big difference adding accessories to a car vs rebuilding the engine through the exhaust pipe!
Bow down Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #405352 17th Mar 2021 8:07 am
Emma Scully

Laughing Ex 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #405353 17th Mar 2021 8:09 am
Emma Scully

Thank the Lord that the laparoscopic training finally came in handy!!! Razz 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #405354 17th Mar 2021 8:17 am
Emma Scully

Hello lovely people!

I'm just wondering if there is a... 'Most Stupid award'....

It's highly likely that I would win it....

Having waxed lyrical about working through the problems and finally getting on top of it, (finally) steady! I'm still talking about the engine Whistle

I connected the manifolds, and then dropped the head down in a smooth operation onto the block. I had even thought to protect the sound insulation felt that I recently replaced, so that the manifold wouldn't take a chunk out of it. Perfect!

Now Emma, where are the head bolts... You know, the ones that cost 60 quid as set because the are stretch torqued each time and have to be replaced...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

No not in the workshop, the car, the barn, or drystore, or house, Peugeot or my handbag... No, they have been sitting in Southampton since last year! And, when I travelled back to France on the last ferry of 2020, before the Brexit gates closed, they were still sitting there. Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh! Censored Big Cry Censored

Now, to get them here, it's £17.00 for postage to France, (used to be £5.50 robbing bare stewards... Then after spending an hour getting the right Import code... Then adding the price of £65 quid plus 10% duty, totting that up to add 20% VAT and just for good measure the courier wants €21 Euro to process the collection... £49.44 for something that I already bought and should have had here...

Go Emma, go... oh and wait a week for delivery....

So, Saturday night, having a few drinks....

E xx 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #405545 21st Mar 2021 12:00 am
Emma Scully

She's Alive!!

Hello lovely people, around the world, hope that you are all safe and well.

I would like to share some wonderful news Very Happy

After three years FreeDeux finally left the hospital, (our Barn...) yesterday.

Since warping the cylinder head and in the absence of any local engineer, who would take on the task I decided to have a go myself. This, of course, despite having no real knowledge of it.

I will immediately, 'Fess-up', and say that most of the delays and problems were of my own making. I either made a mistake or time and other things just got in the way. First off, I got the timing wrong, not once, or twice, but three times... Whistle I bent valves and after replacement didn't have the right tappet clearance... They were close, but not close enough, (noisy).

So, I started again at the beginning of the year. Put it back together and found a shedload of errors, including HDC Transmission, even the dash was screaming error at me.... Big Cry

I replaced the perfectly good battery, a new key docking station, (the key wouldn't retract), purchased two new keys, bought a Sealey 40-amp battery maintainer and another six months of delay.

It was again my own error. In desperation, I started stripping the car down again. Of course, by now, I'm quite familiar with it all! Battery and tray out, air filter off, loosen serpentine belt, remove Air-Con compressor and lay on engine. Remove the a/c bracket and there in full, unambiguous view was another cock-up... I had forgotten to connect the transmission ECU cable. How could I have been soooo stupid?? Censored

Once connected the bits were put back, put the original key docking station back, and she started immediately. It's as if FreeDeux had been just waiting for me to get my act into gear...

The steering pump seems noisy but is getting quieter after cycling the steering wheel and I still have a low coolant warning. I initially started the car whilst the front was slightly elevated and have been conscientious with bleeding but I think I must still have an airlock. I'm now also very low on fuel and don't want to take her down the road until I feel comfortable that I have removed any air pockets in the cooling system.

I have learned a great deal, since starting this and yes, I have wasted time and money because of my mistakes. I can't say that it's been. 'Fun', but I have learned a great deal. Your support and advice has been invaluable and I owe you all a drink Bow down Thumbs Up There are also lots of people on YouTube that have also helped, in both Land Rover and Volvo areas. I have learned that the information is out there but equally I have realised that removing the cylinder head on the 3.2 i6 is very specific. If I was thirty years younger and had the body of a film-star I would have made a video, but I have at least images and the experience. Not sure if anyone else would be reckless enough to do this but I could share the process including all the other things I learned that aren't in the workshop manual or things which can just appear confusing. There are also lots of workarounds and the things that are impossible without the correct tool.

My FreeDeux is definitely a keeper! Despite her diminutive length inside, I am going to fit in a micro camper. just Harry, Jack and myself. it won't be to the Serengeti or the foothills of the Himalaya’s but it will be an adventure and, I hope, without the drama of the past three years!

Thanks to you all.

Auntie Emma xx 2009 Jaguar XF 3.0
2011 Jaguar XF 3.0
2007 LR2 i6 3.2 HSE

Post #411136 7th Aug 2021 11:04 am
Kage

Warmest congratulations Emma. Milestone
I can’t think of words that adequately describe your undying persistence and indomitable spirit. Bow down
At least on your adventure you won’t have to worry about having breakdown cover. You’ll be able to fix any issues yourself!
Enjoy your trip. You thoroughly deserve it. Thumbs Up

Post #411139 7th Aug 2021 11:40 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well done that woman Thumbs Up lovely pooches.

Post #411142 7th Aug 2021 12:17 pm
Lightwater

You only learn by making mistakes. More than well done. I would have pushed it off a cliff! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #411144 7th Aug 2021 1:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>