« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Manual gear knob black gaiter worn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IslandGPS

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Manual gear knob black gaiter worn

Can anyone provide details on how to replace this. The original LR part LR002758 is around £70.00 but leather equivalents are available on eBay for much less.

Post #404152 16th Feb 2021 2:43 pm
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

I purchased one from ebay some years ago and I think it looks pretty good so I ended up getting one for the handbrake to match.

From what I remember you push down the plastic(or metal) ring on top of the gaiter this give you access the bottom of the gear knob. This has a plastic lug which locates on the stick you’ll just need to get something under to lift it. The gear surround is just a push fit so you should be able to lift it from as far back as you can just using your fingers on both sides. This does have one/two connecters for the controls so be careful. After that the gaiter is held in by some horrible washer type thing you’ll have to use pilers to remove. I think I managed to break some and ended up replacing them with self tapping screws and washers (maybe) . I can’t remember which one was glued on(handbrake !?) so I used some PVA just to stick it down. It was pretty easy replacing both from what I remember and they made a big difference to the way it looked.

Post #404155 16th Feb 2021 3:58 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: Manual gear knob black gaiter worn

IslandGPS wrote:
Can anyone provide details on how to replace this. The original LR part LR002758 is around £70.00 but leather equivalents are available on eBay for much less.

I did mine at the weekend.
It costs about £8 for the gaiter, took an hour to fit.
Click image to enlarge
 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404159 16th Feb 2021 5:05 pm
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Push the top of the gaiter down, this then frees up the Gear Knob to be removed. Gear surround is easy to remove as it just click into place. Removing the washer things is a PITA to do and I ended up breaking a few. Cheapo leather one from ebay fitted pretty easily , unlike the other poster who used PVA i used Superglue to afix the new Gaiter into place on the fittings
. Final results when fitted are well worth it.
There are videos on Youtube of how to remove the gaiter if youre not sure how to do it...example

Post #404160 16th Feb 2021 5:27 pm
Nodge68

Scudmonkey wrote:
Cheapo leather one from ebay fitted pretty easily , unlike the other poster who used PVA i used Superglue to afix the new Gaiter into place on the fittings
. Final results when fitted are well worth it.
I used CA (cheep super glue) glue on mine too, as it's strong and quick setting.

It's not a difficult or long job, and looks a million times better. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #404199 17th Feb 2021 10:56 am
IslandGPS

Nodge68 wrote:
IslandGPS wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Thanks looks like a nice neat job, just done mine using superglue to attach gaiter to the template. Not really happy with the finish below the gear knob though, the opening at the top of the replacement gaiter was a little tight to accept the plastic “square” piece and I had to snip a couple of stitches to fit it in. I have not glued that in place within the gaiter yet, did you do that?

Post #404407 23rd Feb 2021 12:58 pm
3landertwo

It's Gaiter time !

I replaced mine this morning. Purchased off of eBay. The gaiter is good quality genuine Italian leather but it is generic item, fits FL2 but not tailored like the old one. Had elastic fitted to base, which I had to unpick in order to glue to frame. Looks good, overall ..... pleased.

Post #404409 23rd Feb 2021 1:46 pm
Scudmonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

IslandGPS wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
IslandGPS wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Thanks looks like a nice neat job, just done mine using superglue to attach gaiter to the template. Not really happy with the finish below the gear knob though, the opening at the top of the replacement gaiter was a little tight to accept the plastic “square” piece and I had to snip a couple of stitches to fit it in. I have not glued that in place within the gaiter yet, did you do that?

Superglued mine to the outside and then just trimmed the top so it all fitted nicely

Post #404412 23rd Feb 2021 2:17 pm
Nodge68

IslandGPS wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
IslandGPS wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I didn't need to glue the top, as it's a really snug fit around the gear knob. If it comes loose in future, I'll add a dab of CA. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #404415 23rd Feb 2021 5:12 pm
Nodge68

3landertwo wrote:
It's Gaiter time !

I replaced mine this morning. Purchased off of eBay. The gaiter is good quality genuine Italian leather but it is generic item, fits FL2 but not tailored like the old one. Had elastic fitted to base, which I had to unpick in order to glue to frame. Looks good, overall ..... pleased.

Mine was a generic one too, although it fits acceptably for my use. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. My daily driver.

Post #404416 23rd Feb 2021 5:13 pm
IslandGPS

Nodge68 wrote:
IslandGPS wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
IslandGPS wrote:

Click image to enlarge

I didn't need to glue the top, as it's a really snug fit around the gear knob. If it comes loose in future, I'll add a dab of CA.

Thanks, am I correct in thinking that I need to tuck (or glue) the gaiter into the larger part of the square plastic piece and then push the smaller part into this to hold it firm? At the moment the plastic piece(s) aren't really doing anything and slip down inside to the bottom of the gaiter?

Post #404450 24th Feb 2021 3:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1