« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > 'Which' Magazine lists Freelander as Don't Buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
'Which' Magazine lists Freelander as Don't Buy

The Car Guide in Feb 2021 Which Magazine lists the Freelander 2 as a Don't Buy in its Used Cars pull out.

It says that although it looks strong and rugged, it is plagued by high fault and breakdown rates.
- current owners reveal common issues with the exhaust/emission system, central locking, and battery failure.
- you need to be an enthusiast and a decent mechanic to make it worth owning.

Their Verdict - Thirsty and Unreliable. They also have a go at the DS, Evoque, and the Disco.

In their introduction they say that Diesels are generally more troublesome than petrol engines, mainly because of problems with the exhaust systems, and most Land Rovers are large diesel vehicles.

My own experience of now nearly 9 years and 100k+ miles in 2 FL2s has been relatively trouble free and enjoyable.

So why have Land Rovers got this terrible reputation, and do they deserve it? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #403068 22nd Jan 2021 9:01 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

&list=PLh3LJqzACNaPK0nX3wIypD0FBUd8rILQE&index=17

Post #403069 22nd Jan 2021 9:03 pm
TonyStrud

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Rimini Red

Not much of a Wizard as he doesn't seem to know the difference between a FL1 and a FL2.

Post #403074 22nd Jan 2021 11:36 pm
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
The Car Guide in Feb 2021 Which Magazine lists the Freelander 2 as a Don't Buy in its Used Cars pull out.

... A view frequently contradicted by many other review sources, eg Autotrader owner reviews, scoring it at 4.5/5... Whatcar scores it highly...

My MY 04 FL1 went to 130k miles before it’s first non-service issue, the rear door micro switch packed up. The car only got changed at 155k miles because of accident write-off- a heavy head-on with a drunk driver and no injuries thanks to the solid build.

Before that my Disco V8 went to 145k miles and was sold running perfectly to my neighbour, all toys working etc.. it still runs perfectly today with 180k+ miles on it

My FL2 got to 108k miles and a valve broke loose and wrecked the engine block - very rare, I’ve not found anyone else having the same experience - The car was still perfect in all other respects so I easily justified the engine transplant.

At 140k miles everything else is still working perfectly. Add to this tyre life, seats that remain comfortable even at these mileages, safety, roominess, no dashboard or other trim rattles, 30+mpg capability yet quick enough, favourable residual values...

... Doesn’t sound like a don’t buy car to me. Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #403077 23rd Jan 2021 12:45 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I'm not entirely sure that I need or want any Land Rover advice from the Car wizard banjo picking Jambalaya eating sister marrying dungaree wearing red neck... Yeeeeeeeha! Just saying Whistle

Having owned various LR's for many years I can honestly say they have proved to be as reliable if not more so than most other cars I have owned Thumbs Up

Post #403082 23rd Jan 2021 9:16 am
Dartman the one

England 
Re: 'Which' Magazine lists Freelander as Don't Buy

IanMetro wrote:
The Car Guide in Feb 2021 Which Magazine list door locking, and battery failure.
Their Verdict - Thirsty and Unreliable. They also have a go at the DS, Evoque, and the Disco..

My own experience of now nearly 9 years and 100k+ miles in 2 FL2s has been relatively trouble free and enjoyable.

So why have Land Rovers got this terrible reputation, and do they deserve it?

Which has never liked Land Rover ever since the magazines introduction, they will pick on any failure and generally lump all LR's together as the sample for each model is small, most LR owners don't subscribe to Which as it's basically a London South East magazine and sold on Readers Digest type marketing.
Adding battery failure as a problem or fault is rediculousas LR don't make batteries and most will have been replaced by now with any make and quality, if they haven't the that shows the stupidity of the article. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #403085 23rd Jan 2021 9:45 am
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
Which has never liked Land Rover ever since the magazines introduction, they will pick on any failure and generally lump all LR's together as the sample for each model is small, most LR owners don't subscribe to Which as it's basically a London South East magazine and sold on Readers Digest type marketing.
Adding battery failure as a problem or fault is rediculousas LR don't make batteries and most will have been replaced by now with any make and quality, if the haven't the that shows the stupidity of the article.

Yep, spot on..

My other half’s 2002 XK8 (and other Jaguars of the same era) are getting similarly slated by Which- ours has been with us for 85k of its 92k miles with just the well-known coolant level sensor being the only blemish on its reliability... if the Which review on that car were to be taken as read, it would appear almost never to be usable - and costly to run and worthless to sell.

Yet, it does 26-30 mpg on a motorway run, and just before X-mas we politely declined an offer of 500 quid less than we paid for it eight years ago... so much for that review!! Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #403087 23rd Jan 2021 10:25 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Some years ago when I was working in the IT industry we had the Which? office across the road in London. We had a call from them saying that they were looking for a new computer system and would we be interested in quoting? So one on my colleagues put together an outline proposal and went over to see them. He came back a few hours later totally stressed out saying that they had prepared a list of requirements just like you would do if buying a washing machine or a kettle against which the answer was a straight yes/no and wouldn't allow him to elaborate on each answer or talk about future development plans.

The boss listened to him and then said "No Bid - whatever we sell them we will probably end up in court". 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #403089 23rd Jan 2021 11:04 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

We did discuss reliability before and this comment below seemed to sum up what was thought about modern cars and their increased complexity.

Anyway I always thought that mechanically the FL2 was mainly a Ford product, and therefore should be well tested.

Andy131 wrote:
So physical electrical items are many times better than they were, but the growth of electrical items has been exponential...

Jules replied
So are you saying that despite the improved reliability of individual mechanical and electrical components, the "exponential " rise in electrical complexity has to an extent outweighed the improvements and made electrical failures more likely than mechanical one and also harder to solve ?

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33141.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #403090 23rd Jan 2021 11:29 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wasn’t there a recent scandle with Which ?

Post #403092 23rd Jan 2021 11:30 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

If there was a review of consumer magazines the advice would be don't buy Which. Which has always been poor in my opinion in evaluating many products but is distinctly biased against Land Rover. Perhaps the Which bosses are tree hugging ramblers that have an inbuilt ignorance about reality.

J

Edited for typos: predictive text 1 - finger trouble 1

Post #403098 23rd Jan 2021 12:08 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Isn't this the organistion that shows you pay extra for using big brand names, and released their own credit card as Which was a trusted brand. When the card was subject to their own tests it performed badly as you were paying mostly for the brand name ? 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #403099 23rd Jan 2021 12:22 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

GundogSD4 wrote:

Having owned various LR's for many years I can honestly say they have proved to be as reliable if not more so than most other cars I have owned Thumbs Up

Agreed - having owned 3 Disco and many Freelanders (1 and 2), I can honestly say I've had more problems with my one BMW and my current Fiesta than all the Landrovers put together.

BMW: central locking failures due to a leak around shark fin aerial (in the end I had to seal it myself ), intermittent adaptive headlight failure (never solved, despite numerous visits to different dealers), paint coming off black trim, persistent squeaks from door rubbers requiring regular lubrication, thermostat sticking (not easily to discover as car has no temp gauge)

My current 2019 Fiesta ST has only done 8K miles from new - I bought it in July 2020 and since then its had the camshaft cover gasket replaced, rear crankshaft oil seal replaced and its now in the garage awaiting a differential bearing from Germany. Big Cry Jules

Post #403100 23rd Jan 2021 12:48 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

My father had a continuous subscription to Which? magazine, starting from the very first issue (1950’s?), until a few months before he died in March 2020. Consequently, I’ve always had access to the magazine, to help me choose washing machines, televisions, cameras, computers etc and even cars.

From my lifetimes’s experience to date, I would trust Land Rover to build a reliable car, way more than I would ever trust Which? magazine to produce a well researched, reliable and balanced consumer report that I would ever base a purchasing decision on! Rolling Eyes

I would through this report in the same round file as the rest!

Post #403112 23rd Jan 2021 5:29 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Some years ago when I was working in the IT industry we had the Which? office across the road in London. We had a call from them saying that they were looking for a new computer system and would we be interested in quoting? So one on my colleagues put together an outline proposal and went over to see them. He came back a few hours later totally stressed out saying that they had prepared a list of requirements just like you would do if buying a washing machine or a kettle against which the answer was a straight yes/no and wouldn't allow him to elaborate on each answer or talk about future development plans.

The boss listened to him and then said "No Bid - whatever we sell them we will probably end up in court".

Working in technical sales myself, I can really relate to that. Some people will fight off any amount of good advice and help; these are usually the people that spend just a little less than they needed to, in order to buy the wrong product and then claim that it’s “not fit for purpose” 🙄

It’s good to work out who these people are before entering a world of grief with them 🙄

Post #403113 23rd Jan 2021 5:39 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1