Home > General > Freelander 2 hse SD2 non start HDC error, transmission error
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tony g

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2 hse SD2 non start HDC error, transmission error

Hello All and happy new year

On Wednesday I went to start my FL 2 after a week of sitting on the drive.

Inserted key pushed button and all I got was H D C error and transmission error warnings with the engine temp at top of gauge and immobilizer light flashing.
R.A.C. attended and spent an hour trying to sort it out. After a few phone calls he said it would need to be taken to a garage.
As its an auto he spent some time trying to get it out of park and once done we were towed on a rigid bar 4 miles at 25 mile an hour to a garage.
The garage was the person he had been speaking to on the phone while trying to fix it and I agreed to take it there as the owner was a trainer for the R.A.C. on E.C.U.'s
I was expecting the worst and after a day or more of investigating they rang me to tell me it was sorted. Cost £345.00.
On arrival at the garage it transpired that the problem was the E.C.U. was getting no power so it could not communicate with any of the other modules that are in the system. Even more strange was the fact that they found the cable in the wiring loom that powers the E.C.U. was broken and it had been caused by the plastic wrap around the loom rubbing against the cable.
It seems to me that if this is in fact the case then it may be a good idea to inspect the wiring loom from time to time in particular they said this was where it went under the vehicle near the gear box. I have not looked under the vehicle yet but I will and will just make sure the repair is where they said it was.
after checking n the forum for the H.D.C error message I had first thought it could be the battery at a lower than required voltage but not so. I also noticed that my vehicle a 2011 model without stop start actually has a F.G.P. battery designed for the stop start model as well as the ammeter control unit for it fitted. Does anyone else have this battery fitted as a standard on a non stop start model?
I have put this up just in case anyone else has an error like this and they may be able to sort it out a bit easier.
My real relief is not having to have a new E.C.U. and the associated costs.

Cheer to all

Post #402835 17th Jan 2021 3:53 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

The symptoms you described are normally due to the battery being low on charge... Just saying Whistle

Post #402836 17th Jan 2021 4:35 pm
tony g

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes I know that is a symptom of a low battery but as I have since found out that the issue was not the battery I thought it may help someone else if they get the same issue. My battery was fine but the ecu was not connecting to the system and was not able to be seen on the fault code machine. But thanks for saying.

Post #402870 18th Jan 2021 4:22 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Very handy info, thanks for sharing. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #402905 19th Jan 2021 11:47 am
Niffty

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

Interesting that the cable under the gear box was the suspect.

My 2007 kept cutting out, then it decided to give up for good, AA guy plugged it in and an absolute ton of faults come up, his first idea was that same cable had rubbed through on the gear box.

Mine turned out to be the crank position sensor, when it died it caused a load of sensors to show faults.
This cable must be a known issue.

Post #403028 21st Jan 2021 9:45 pm
Her Freelander

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Same problem this morning, didn't want to start, got it started took it for a run to charge up a bit as it had been stood for about a week, I will charge the battery up as this may be the cause and if not I will renew it, failing that garage job...stand by for the next thrilling installment....

Post #404025 13th Feb 2021 2:29 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

GundogSD4 wrote:
The symptoms you described are normally due to the battery being low on charge... Just saying Whistle

I had the low battery error and the ‘Gearbox Fault - Reduced Traction Control' error a couple of years ago... a new battery cured it but...

... Two years later - low battery and same traction control error messages. Fully charged battery (overnight on CTEK) - the battery warning has now gone but the traction control error persists. It illuminates after a few hundred metres from start up.

Too coincidental with low battery to be a real gearbox error I think but how to fix? Thread searching next.

Last edited by ReggiePerrin on 13th Feb 2021 5:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #404029 13th Feb 2021 5:39 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Another vote for Battery needs charge/change.

Post #404030 13th Feb 2021 5:41 pm
3landertwo

watch this video above.

Guy waffles on a bit, but he finds a chaffed wiring loom under the air filter, where the vibration has chaffed through the taped-loom and exposed the copper conductors.

Click image to enlarge

Post #404108 15th Feb 2021 3:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1