« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tow bar installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SD4x4

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red
Tow bar installation

Wanted to add a tow bar to the Freely, something more discreet and out of the way compared to the shin smacking swan neck I had on my last Freelander. Bought a Witter detachable and dedicated electrics which plug into a socket on the side of the boot, mine is a facelift car. Pre-facelift, the electrics are a bit more involved.

No bumper cuts needed and you can wriggle the tow bar cross member in place without removing the bumper. However, it is a right faff, working inside the bumper is difficult and awkward and one of the bolts is really difficult to torque up due to the limited access between the exhaust and the base of the bumper, I tightened it one click of the torque wrench at a time. I could not get enough leverage to fully torque this bolt up (rear most bolt, passenger side), so decided to remove the bumper after all. The drivers side bolt below the towing eye is also tricky, and has to be tightened with a spanner.

Took ages to remove the bumper, mainly due to a rusted screw behind the rear wheel, which I had to grind off with a Dremel carefully lowered down the rear lamp aperture. Having removed the bumper, I could get to the bolt from the side, it only needed nipping up to get to 150 Nm, so I had almost done it without removing the bumper Thumbs Up

Pleased with the finished result, gave the exhaust rear can a spray with some heatproof black paint whilst I was at it. Saved about £350 to £400 compared to the last tow bar I had professionally fitted.

2013 SD4 Auto HSE Luxury Firenze Red
2003 Defender 90 TD5 XS - gone.
2010 SD4 XS Auto - gone.

Post #402004 1st Jan 2021 8:52 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Yes, the Witter detachable is a neat installation although the guys who did mine for me didn’t need to take the bumper off and the instructions didn’t suggest it was necessary. They just had to remove one of the reflectors and drill a couple of holes to access a couple of nuts. Out of curiosity what S value is on the sticker on the removable ball?

Post #402078 3rd Jan 2021 7:15 am
SD4x4

Just been out to check, the S value is 125kg. I don’t know what that figure is, I think the nose weight limit is 150kg.

I nearly did it with the bumper in place, but couldn’t get enough torque on the rear most bolt. Taking the bumper off also allowed me to give it a good clean and apply some rust prevention, paint the exhaust silencer etc, so worth doing. 2013 SD4 Auto HSE Luxury Firenze Red
2010 SD4 XS Auto - gone.

Post #402081 3rd Jan 2021 10:23 am
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Many thanks. You’ll find that the tow bar bracket - the bit you bolted to the car - has an S value of 150 kg which is what it should be as it’s sold with that value quoted. However, for reasons that I never quite got to the bottom of, despite lengthy letters and phone calls to the Vehicle Certification Agency and emails to Witter, the removable tow ball has a label with the lower figure of 125 kgs. According to both VCA and Witter, the correct figure for the assembly is 150 kg and the label can properly be removed from the tow ball.

Post #402083 3rd Jan 2021 10:29 am
SD4x4

Strange that they have two figures. I tend to only load the nose weight to 100kg anyway, so always leave a margin of safety. 2013 SD4 Auto HSE Luxury Firenze Red
2010 SD4 XS Auto - gone.

Post #402085 3rd Jan 2021 10:47 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

There is a 3 page thread on the discrepancy between weights marked on the witter detachable tow ball and receiver found here https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic34228.ht...bar+weight

Post #402087 3rd Jan 2021 11:27 am
MrShirley

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Looks like we had exactly the same weekend, I fitted the same tow bar to my 2010 FL2. I managed to tweak it in with out removing the bumper.

The only issue I had was, the two M8 captive nuts behind the reflectors were not there, either never fitted or have rattled loose and the kit did not come with any, so ordered a couple or M8 nyloc flange nuts from ebay.

Also i did look as it does not feel that secure, a replacement cap for when the tow bar is not fitted is £20!!!!

It was bloody cold doing it, several trips into the house to make a brew.

Post #402532 11th Jan 2021 5:47 pm
SD4x4

well done in getting it to fit with the bumper on. I may put a black rubber band or strap around the receiver cover, just in case! £20 for a small bit of plastic Shocked 2013 SD4 Auto HSE Luxury Firenze Red
2010 SD4 XS Auto - gone.

Post #402536 11th Jan 2021 6:00 pm
MrShirley

Good thinking that man!

Post #402537 11th Jan 2021 6:12 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

MrShirley wrote:
Looks like we had exactly the same weekend, I fitted the same tow bar to my 2010 FL2. I managed to tweak it in with out removing the bumper.

The only issue I had was, the two M8 captive nuts behind the reflectors were not there, either never fitted or have rattled loose and the kit did not come with any, so ordered a couple or M8 nyloc flange nuts from ebay.

Also i did look as it does not feel that secure, a replacement cap for when the tow bar is not fitted is £20!!!!

Some extra info. Spare locking keys are available from ebay for a few quid -just check the key code on the lock- from Witter they are an outrageous price IMO Jules

Post #402549 11th Jan 2021 8:50 pm
itsaguything

Canada 2013 LR2 2.0T HSE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks for the tips, guys.
I might just do this. I do like the low profile look. Guy Pensa
Cars with Personalities
Getting itchy. What's next?
2014 Land Rover HSE Lux (blend of practicality and aggressiveness)
2007 XKR (Jaguar Racing Green) (woo hoo!)
2004 XJR (Jaguar Racing Green) (deceased)
2002 S-Type R (British Racing Green, of course)
1951 Riley RMD (Black, time for that restoration)

Post #402696 14th Jan 2021 12:46 pm
MrShirley

nice tip, thanks. I'll get a few and dot them about the places I'm likely to need them..... god put my balls in a sack for a reason. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

jules wrote:
MrShirley wrote:

Some extra info. Spare locking keys are available from ebay for a few quid -just check the key code on the lock- from Witter they are an outrageous price IMO

Post #402748 15th Jan 2021 12:51 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I got my keys from

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Witter-Towbar-K...SwsYpaRApq Jules

Post #402750 15th Jan 2021 1:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1