« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Alternator light/limp mode
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ridgeyman

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Caspian Blue
Alternator light/limp mode

Hi Freelander 2 2009 auto HSE. . Ongoing prob. Every now and then it will go into limp mode on start-up. Stop engine & ok. Now the alternator light comes on & (sometimes) goes into limp mode. Stop start-up it goes away. New alternator & battery fitted very recently as alternator packed up. But prob still there. 103,000 miles. fsh regular service. Any idea's please. Ta.

Post #402055 2nd Jan 2021 5:47 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi ridgeyman mine a fr2 2009 hse does or did do the same, but since a new battery a varta f19 plus an extra earth from battery post to starter bolt plus a clean up of the original earths but since all of the clean up/replacement this fault hasn’t happened as usually every time I started the engine it would as you explain.

The car hasn’t moved off the drive since Xmas Eve although with it being so cold I have had it plugged into the charger and only this evening I have just started it up and it’s a normal start.

I think it’s a low capacity charge of the battery during start up and certain ecu’s lie dormant due to low amperage, volts might be there but no wumf in the battery? Or like another forum member mentioned there might be a parasitic drain somewhere on initial start.

It’s annoying as mine has done this since new, I have commented during service bookings but main LR dealer didn’t fix.

I think it’s an amperage/ ecu fault somewhere but not really easy to locate. You could try a hard reset?

Post #402061 2nd Jan 2021 7:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ridgeyman

Hi m8, thanks for that, but it might as well be in Russian. lol. I have passed it to a couple of mates that might understand it better than me. lol.

Post #402067 2nd Jan 2021 11:18 pm
ridgeyman

HDC System Failure

Right...I've now noticed when I press start (from cold) it is saying HDC system failure. But car starts ok & fault goes off. BUT although it's got a new alternator & battery it does sound a bit laboured when it's been standing a couple of days? ta.

Post #402109 3rd Jan 2021 6:02 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

HDC not available, from cold, is normally a sign of a less than fully charged battery. It can be a sign that the ABS pump has not reached target pressure, making HDC, ABS and DSC not available. This (the low battery) is also pointed to by the laboured start.

I don’t know your driving pattern but lots of short journeys with days of standing idle don’t do batteries any favours. You could try starting the systems without starting the car by leaving your foot OFF of whichever pedal for the first press of the start button. Leave all the lights, radio etc. off, then foot on pedal and press the start button. You could also try the extra earth lead modification though newer cars have this already.

Post #402111 3rd Jan 2021 6:59 pm
ridgeyman

Thanx. Awaiting a responce from my mechanic friend, but all contributions help. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #402112 3rd Jan 2021 7:12 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Towards the bottom of these posts in link you will see one by Refurb Pete about the BLUE WIRE that gives random faults to do with the ALTERNATOR. - Its well worth checking that the wire is intact and not damaged.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27454.html?highlight=blue+wire

Some pictures of it here

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32004.ht...tery+light FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #402115 3rd Jan 2021 8:36 pm
ridgeyman

Thanks for all your help. I'll now drop it in to my local garage with a printout of all the advise and take it from there. Thumbs Up Confused

Post #402141 4th Jan 2021 10:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1