Home > Wheels & Tyres > Anyone with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MrShirley

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Anyone with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015

Hello folks.

The time has come to look at replacing all four tyres on our FL2. It currently has some Conti Contact Sport M+S tyres on but they are path their best.

I was looking at opting for a set of GG AT3 108V, as the V offer good wet performance but, every where seems out of stock and only have the H, which are worse of wet performance.

Second choice is a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, so wondering if people have used these?

We are a 60/40 on road and off road use.

I shoot and often find myself going down some rocky tracks and across boggy fields.
The Mrs is a teacher and needs to get to school in most weathers and the most direct route is B roads between fields which can get pretty bad.
The rest of the time we'll be using is as a family utility vehicle to transport our bikes and often involves a bit of off roading but not too much.

Post #401783 28th Dec 2020 7:17 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
not used either of those but ISTR the ggat3's are Winter rated and the Yoko's are not, Question

I have used the older ggat's and they were fine but I did put full Winters on Nov-Feb (on a RRS)

you dont mention which size? but what about Duratracs as well?

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #401784 28th Dec 2020 7:33 pm
woodwizzard

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

I have been running them on my subaru forester for over a year and working in forestry they have taken that car places an estate car shouldn't go.

They don't look aggressive, but they just work. They haven't cut or marked up at all, they run quiet on the road and have plenty of grip wet or dry.

Because of this, I stuck a set of 4 on the freelander. For me, they feel nicer than the scopion zeros that came off. Thumbs Up

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tyres meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

Post #401790 28th Dec 2020 8:45 pm
MrShirley

riverblanche wrote:
Hi,
not used either of those but ISTR the ggat3's are Winter rated and the Yoko's are not, Question

I have used the older ggat's and they were fine but I did put full Winters on Nov-Feb (on a RRS)

you dont mention which size? but what about Duratracs as well?

Thumbs Up

Sorry the current size is 235 / 65 R17.
Good point on the winter rating, I dont think we'll be going any place which mandated the rating but a nice to have.

Post #401791 28th Dec 2020 8:58 pm
MrShirley

woodwizzard wrote:
I have been running them on my subaru forester for over a year and working in forestry they have taken that car places an estate car shouldn't go.

They don't look aggressive, but they just work. They haven't cut or marked up at all, they run quiet on the road and have plenty of grip wet or dry.

Because of this, I stuck a set of 4 on the freelander. For me, they feel nicer than the scopion zeros that came off. Thumbs Up

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tyres meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol.

Thanks @Woodwizzard.

Several years ago, I used to have a set of Geolanders on a Mazda CX5, Front 2WD and it was rubbish on mud and grass, I'm thinking this down to the cars lack of ability rather than the tyres. As other reviews seem to rate them also.

Post #401792 28th Dec 2020 9:02 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

FYI - the Yokohama has the the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015

Click image to enlarge

Post #401793 28th Dec 2020 9:48 pm
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hello MrShirley, in reply to your question for advice here is mine, I usually fit replacement tyres that the manufacturers once fit as new, mine came with Continentals super contact where on the second set I realised they were not lasting well compared with the first set, although I do change front to rear twice a year then purchase another four replacements.

Eventually costs became rather expensive so I tried Bridgestones, and also Avon’s. Again either were not lasting, to note both the Bridgestone/avon tyres did not last as well as the Continentals. But also noticeable increased road noise.

So having looked at Yokohama’s and researched many as a motor sport customer in the past of demon tweeks at Wrexham as they have many low cost discounts I tried a pair of Nankang a subsidiary of Yokohama, done the research in them too.

Eighteen months a pair has been on the front axle, although I have not changed these front to rear, kept them on the front, they have covered approximately 11k, been to Switzerland with the caravan, on farm tracks, wet grass, ie game fair before covid are very quiet and still have 5.5mm across the treads. Plus where I live is country oriented with narrow muddy farm tracks never been stuck as of yet.
The rears were Bridgestones and two weeks ago purchased a pair of Nankang Green Sport 235/55R19, 105V XL.

The road noise is minimal plus today been out in this latest worst snow we have had for years with no issues with hill descent on sheet ice with no slip.

Just measured the tread depth of the rears which is 8.2mm, I purchased two tyres for £210 quid,balanced plus valves. Do your own research into these, they must be okay as Yokohama is rather a large tyre manufacturer.

Post #401794 28th Dec 2020 10:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverblanche

England 

MrShirley wrote:
riverblanche wrote:
Hi,:

I dont think we'll be going any place which mandated the rating but a nice to have.

Winter tyres give more grip than summers when its below 7 Degrees so you can stop quicker than summer tyres,
on any wet and cold road (snow not required Laughing )

and as Woodwizard and P Gill have said the Yoko's are Winter rated Thumbs Up

let us know where you find the best price Question
( I have just used Black Circles for a single tyre and Asda where very close on price)

Thumbs Up .

Post #401811 29th Dec 2020 12:50 pm
MrShirley

Thanks guys.

I'm going to opt for the Geolanders as I've tried several places and the GG are out of stock. A full set of Geolanders from ASDA tyres at £425, I'll keep you posted, Im sure they will be fine on road, I'm keen to see how they go on the muddy fields.

Post #401840 29th Dec 2020 9:17 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

My $0.02 cdn, you will be very happy with either make and model; both are excellent tyres and I have a soft spot for Yokos as I have not been disappointed with my experience with that manufacturer. Only reason I am not running them currently is their cost; in the winter I run Hankook i-pike RW11s...........I can buy them cheaper and they are a darn decent snow/ice tyre.

PS, I have zero experience with Generals..........so, no informed opinion.

Post #401844 29th Dec 2020 9:58 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Had mine on a good while now. I found them to be excellent A/T tyres. Albeit oversized at 265/60/18.

I got mine fairly cheap (considering the size I went for) @ £128 a corner with free fitting and balancing.

Post #401851 29th Dec 2020 10:42 pm
woodwizzard

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Nazca Sand

MrShirley wrote:
Thanks guys.

I'm going to opt for the Geolanders as I've tried several places and the GG are out of stock. A full set of Geolanders from ASDA tyres at £425, I'll keep you posted, Im sure they will be fine on road, I'm keen to see how they go on the muddy fields.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m56b0s251p14813...se%3A_70dB

Post #401856 30th Dec 2020 8:19 am
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
the Asda price should be a fully fitted and balanced all done locally price Thumbs Up

camskill are good if you have access to fitting gear or its another £10-£15 on top Sad

Thumbs Up .

Post #401891 30th Dec 2020 9:57 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Ten years ago I fitted some Yokohama Geolanders to my Jxxp Cherokee in preparation for the drive home to Norn Iron from Kosovo in the middle of winter. They were, of course, snow rated for driving through Germany. I have to say they were stunningly good in the 20cm of snow on the roads in Kosovo and Serbia and again when we hit snow in Scotland. They were also much quieter and more compliant in the cold weather than the Avon tyres I had previously fitted. Highly recommended.

Post #401892 30th Dec 2020 10:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1