« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Off road with Goodyear Wranglers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
drivebyabuser

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Off road with Goodyear Wranglers

Ok - So im sure they are not optimum. But i was looking at the Pay and Play day at Avalanche in a couple of weeks in my I6

https://avalancheadventure.co.uk/activities/4x4-pay-and-play/

Will i be wasting my time without decent AT tyres or will I be able to have some limited fun with my set of wranglers?
I will invest in a set of AT wheels and tyres eventually for proper off road but I wanted to have a play this month! '07 i6 Petrol XS

The Freelander - Keeping my RS5 from using all the fuel in the Northern Hemisphere

Post #400637 3rd Dec 2020 3:12 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The Land Rover experience sites in the UK used Freelanders with standard road tyres fitted. I took my own car which has only ever had Wranglers fitted during the Summer on a day out with the Honiton centre around the green lanes, private ranges and fords of the south east of Devon in the company of Discovery’s and Jeeps and the limiting factor was the ground clearance. The fuel tank is the lowest point of the car.
Learn how the traction control system works. Once a wheel loses grip it depends on the brake system to stop it spinning and apply power to the opposite wheel on the axle.

Post #400650 3rd Dec 2020 5:51 pm
BossBob

Looked at the website on the link. I’d suggest that you’ll need to give the intercooler and radiator a good clean after a day there, (along with everything else). Driving through that slurry repeatedly will be a great way to clog them up leading to overheating problems. You’ve also got a wading depth limit of 18 inch(45cm). The air intake and filter box (the drain valve is very crude) are the risk to the engine and the starter motor and alternator are fairly low down in the engine bay. Too deep and the rear of the car will float.

Post #400655 3rd Dec 2020 6:52 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
pay and plays are good for exploring what gets you stuck and un-stuck, you can have just as much fun as everyone else
you will just get stuck a bit earlier than them with the AT's or MT's

you can try to avoid the slurry pits as said ^ gets everywhere Rolling Eyes

ensure you have good tow points front and rear and a good rope already attached, if someone tows you out when your stuck they may not be as carefull as you would be Shocked

A muddy/grassy slope gives you chance to try different techniques and settings to see what works

Try some side slopes as well, (with some guidance!)

and all in a safe (ish Whistle ) environment

Lots of 4x4 drivers only ever try to understand the systems when their already stuck in a car park grass field Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #400657 3rd Dec 2020 7:12 pm
drivebyabuser

Thanks - Thats good info. I just didnt want to be hopelessly out of my depth, literally and metaphorically!

Im hoping that as is a I6 Petrol that i wont have intercooler issues but cleaning the rad out is a good reminder

Will post some video on the site! '07 i6 Petrol XS

The Freelander - Keeping my RS5 from using all the fuel in the Northern Hemisphere

Post #400674 4th Dec 2020 8:49 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

at the honiton centre,can you use their vehicles?

Post #401026 12th Dec 2020 9:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had a LR experience day at Honiton in a Disco Sport three years ago and it seemed to consist of driving slowly around tracks on a hillside and demonstrating the Hill Descent control a lot. It wasn't a wet day but i think an ordinary car would have coped with most of it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #401033 13th Dec 2020 9:01 am
BossBob

From my experience there are at least 3 kinds of Land Rover experience day.
The freebie from a dealer or Land Rover that is trying to sell you the car. Very superficial, yes, mainly demonstrating some of the abilities of the model chosen, but why they had me driving a defender around paved roads was beyond me and the terrain I was taken on would have been easily handled by my FL2.
The paid for half day. Much more in depth briefing on the model chosen, yes some hill descent, but much wetter than than the above. No paved roads at all.
The paid for day. Driving around the green lanes and ranges of east Devon. My FL2 was the most road oriented car. Mainly Discoveries and Jeeps. My limiting factors were ground clearance and wading ability, though climbing ability, tilt angle and grip were all given a fairly good test and we forded the the river Otter. We went everywhere they went. Much more challenging than either of the half day offerings and in my own car.

Post #401043 13th Dec 2020 12:13 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I've had 2 free half days at Honiton, once in DS and once in RRS.

I enjoyed both days, but both cars are so capable on the greasy forest tracks that it all seems so easy.

In fact I had a shock, when I got out the car to take a picture, that the track was a lot steeper, and slippier, than I thought.

I am not sure that a normal 2 wheeled drive car would have coped that well, but although Honiton is not a 'Jungle' type experience, it demonstrates that with LR electronics almost anyone can handle a bad track over some rough ground.

If you can get a free half day (try looking interested in a new model, for example) it is interesting and well worth the effort. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #401047 13th Dec 2020 2:53 pm
drivebyabuser

Had a great day out at Avalanche Adventures - Very much worth the 1 hr 30 mins drive and the £30 for the day. Very impressed how capable it was. Had so much fun. Its nervy doing some things that you think look suicidal but coped very well. Got stuck a couple of times but some full lock and a bit of reverse and forward meant that i never had to be towed out.

Really good way to get a feel of what the car can do - on very standard road tyres too. Certainly kept up with some Disco's, Defenders etc. There was a couple of guys with monster wheels and all the gubbins, but for a car that i would be happy to drive to the shops I was very impressed.

Will probably head back when its a bit less wet and muddy, and i think i fried my alternator wading through a huge puddle. But can heartily recommend. If you are nervous about it - take the plunge. Nice guys who run it and everyone was very considerate - You only have to go as steep or deep as you want to. '07 i6 Petrol XS

Post #401124 14th Dec 2020 7:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1