Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Does replacing only 2 tyres make your diff's go?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 
Does replacing only 2 tyres make your diff's go?

An update to my other post on new tyres. I've created a new post so people don't miss it.

So I got 2 new fronts on at 92K and asked if this would affect the diff's.. Some people said yes, but I think most said no and the guy's at Land Rover also confirmed it will not be a problem as the rears are not connected all the time.

Going back to 40K miles I had my front diff go and it was a first for the garage as they had only known rears go before.

So, having fit my two front tyres, the next day the car went in for its annual service and MOT. They had it a week due to DAB radio issues and then I got it back. Driving home a couple of nights later, I was slowing for the lights a thought I could hear a bearing noise... No, radio off and nothing. Must have been the road surface?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, over the next 700 miles the noise became louder to the point where I knew I was not hearing things. Turn it left and right when slowing (that’s when it made the noise) and the pitch didn't change so not a wheel bearing. But I'd also got what I thought was a bit of vibration from the rear at higher speeds and I'd not had this before when the front diff went last time?

Forward to today. Took the car into my Landy dealer, I told them it sounded like a diff but turning my head side on, I could not work out if it was the front or the back? So they took it for a test drive... brought it back and put it on the ramps, in gear and spin the wheels up.

Then Benn who owns Stonelake in Halifax asked me to go into the workshop to see what they had found.

Stood under the car, they starter the wheels going. I'm stood at the back and yes, you can hear the rear diff is making a noise... Censored , that’s going for sure.

But then walk to the front, and the front diff is doing the same! Double Censored ...

So both diffs gone within 1000 miles of running new front, 3mm rears.

I did ask Benn again if this was the tyres and he said no.. It can't happen

But what I would say is you make your own mind up on this one. Quite a coincidence if you ask me....

So £1200 a diff and fitting... That goodness I keep her in warranty!! Smile

Post #400194 20th Nov 2020 7:22 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Just as a matter of interest have you calculated have much keeping it in warranty had cost? Its often a question asked - is long term warranty worth it ? Jules

Post #400196 20th Nov 2020 9:26 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I reckon considering the number of pairs of tyres that get replaced on members cars here would highlight this if it were a cause. I'm sure I've read in a few places that the old FL1 diffs used to be very sensitive and could be affected by this, but not the FL2 setup. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #400198 20th Nov 2020 9:33 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Nope , it’s not the tyres . One thing to consider of course is that a Freelander 2 in Calderdale will get much more of a work out than say a Freelander 2 in York. There are plenty of hills , cobbles , bad weather around here to make sure that the Haldex and rear diff will be working hard . Add to that that in the first years of life Ford value engineered the diff nose bearing down to the point of just adequate . Also if you haven’t had the car from new you don’t know what the first owner got up to .

To reiterate the car is not all wheel drive there is not a permanent drive system that can get spooled up with different tyre rolling circumference . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #400201 20th Nov 2020 10:30 pm
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

i have had it from new.. 62 plate so 8 years now. Only thing ever to go wrong with it as such in the time... 3 diff's?? I have had other things replaced but only these fail...
I think from 2014 they increased the diff bearing but talking to Benn at Stonelake he says the Disco sports are worst?

I keep it in warranty as I get £8K allowance at work towards the car, so spending on average £600 a year on a warranty is a no brainer. I might just get in with another 12 months if I don't reach 100K by July Smile

I think over the 5 years I taken it I've had my monies worth for sure, it also cover MOT issues. It must go up as the car gets older but if you say it costs £600 average, I've spent £3K on it. this one alone will cost £3K

Other bits replaced include rear shocks, stearing rack, DAB ariel, 2 wheel bearings, EGR valve, front arms and bush. etc
Stonelake always make sure I get my monies worth Smile

Post #400203 20th Nov 2020 10:54 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

Beaver

Ref your OP see thread https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32670.html for my experience. I consider that whenever the car is in 4WD mode any difference in tyre diameter puts additional loads on the transmission (as does different tyre wear on the same axle during 2WD)

Yes the Haldex will compensate during slippage, but is not designed to provide minimum load for continuous significant out of balance (rotational speed) running. How much difference in tyre wear is significant? debatable, but I will be keeping within 2mm

Post #400215 21st Nov 2020 10:49 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

I'd say its not in 4wd for the most of the miles I cover. Usualy 'A' roads and motorways? I take your point but as I say, its probably not seen 4wd since the last snow we had

Post #400222 21st Nov 2020 12:41 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

You appear to be unlucky! My 62 Plate manual had 154,000 mls on it when I sold it a couple of years ago(I bought it with 132,000mls) It was ex lease and had all the invoices for repairs since new and had only ever had routine servicing.It was still on original shockers, diffs, wheel bearings, clutch etc when I sold it and still drove like it was new! Thumbs Up

Post #400225 21st Nov 2020 1:08 pm
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

Maybe so. TBH I love the car thats why I've kept it. but after 100K I can't keep the warranty so it will be time to move it on.

Not sure what to get next... Newer Disco sports look okay, I do like the new Defender. Or a guy at work has a XC60 thats rather nice, but not sure how reliable Volvo are these days??

Post #400227 21st Nov 2020 1:40 pm
riverblanche

England 

freelander beaver wrote:
Only thing ever to go wrong with it as such in the time... 3 diff's??
I have had other things replaced but only these fail...
Other bits replaced include rear shocks, stearing rack, DAB ariel, 2 wheel bearings, EGR valve, front arms and bush. etc

I agree 3 diffs is not good Shocked (diff/shafts alignment issues?)
but depends what you call failure and maintenance wear n tear, I would not expect most of the stuff on your list either (bushes yes maybe) to have needed replacing

As mentioned should not be tyre tread depth front to rear,
if anyone wants to do the ManMaths try working out the difference that the outside wheel travels compared with the inside one when going round a bend or roundabout, going left and right wont cancel each other out either the diff's have to work both ways Laughing

Thumbs Up .
my first ever FL2 and I did keep it longer than most other cars!
But its now gone way up Norf

Post #400242 21st Nov 2020 8:51 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

freelander beaver wrote:
i have had it from new.. 62 plate so 8 years now. Only thing ever to go wrong with it as such in the time... 3 diff's?? I have had other things replaced but only these fail...
I think from 2014 they increased the diff bearing but talking to Benn at Stonelake he says the Disco sports are worst?

I keep it in warranty as I get £8K allowance at work towards the car, so spending on average £600 a year on a warranty is a no brainer. I might just get in with another 12 months if I don't reach 100K by July Smile

I think over the 5 years I taken it I've had my monies worth for sure, it also cover MOT issues. It must go up as the car gets older but if you say it costs £600 average, I've spent £3K on it. this one alone will cost £3K

Stonelake always make sure I get my monies worth Smile

If you have had the diff go 3 times I would recommend you go to another garage or you have another underlying fault with the car as once the bigger nose bearing is replaced your diff problems should be put to bed.

Post #400253 22nd Nov 2020 11:01 am
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

its at LandRover garage so they don't replace the bearing, they do the full diff.. so guess you end up with the small bearing again?

Post #400257 22nd Nov 2020 12:21 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I off-roaded ours with abandon, exuberance rather than skill.
At least half the time we used Goodyear MTRs - full mud tyres, we towed a caravan around Europe and still on the original diff at 185,000 miles. No modified pinion, only changed the Haldex oil / filter twice.

The point is the diff as an assembly is perfectly capable of the job, something must be wrong such as alignment, or poor quality bearings, oil contamination, or did LR change the design after 2008?

I did have a drain plug fitted and the oil drained every service after 50K - out of warranty. Not an expensive or difficult modification that in my mind should be done to every FL2 the minute it comes out of warranty Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #400384 25th Nov 2020 10:50 pm
freelander beaver

United Kingdom 

Sure you are right.. its the 'sealed for life' bit that's the issue.. New oil saves bearings!

Post #400390 26th Nov 2020 8:51 am
RichardM

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

freelander beaver wrote:
Maybe so. TBH I love the car thats why I've kept it. but after 100K I can't keep the warranty so it will be time to move it on.

Not sure what to get next... Newer Disco sports look okay, I do like the new Defender. Or a guy at work has a XC60 thats rather nice, but not sure how reliable Volvo are these days??

My Freelander is on 85,000 and I have had it for a good few years now (one rear diff in that time), so I keep thinking about what next. Disco Sport, Volvo XC60 or Hyundai Sante Fe...A new Defender 90 would be good but I don't think I could convince myself that it would be money well spent. Richard M

Post #400452 27th Nov 2020 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>