Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR Replacement - Stuttering and Stalling when code cleared
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
11slayer11

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black
EGR Replacement - Stuttering and Stalling when code cleared

Hi All,

Freelander 2 TD4 2.2 HSE 2010.

I'm relatively new to the forums but looking for some insight here, a search got me so far but now I'm stuck!

After receiving a P0405 fault relating to "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve position sensor A - Low Input" followed by the obligatory reduced performance of the engine I made the mistake of removing my EGR myself, it took a good six hours to entirely remove both the EGR and Cooler following the service and maintenance manual... LR couldn't have put it in a worse place.

Anyway - After replacing and reinstalling the EGR as well as a new EGR gasket (EGR > Cooler) and topping up the coolant, the car now starts and idles well but only in reduced performance mode with a MAF sensor fault. If I clear these and rev the engine from idle I get the following symptoms -

1. White smoke or steam from the back of the engine, I'm assuming it is coming from the EGR but cannot tell specifically as it's in a pig of a location.
2. Engine stutters as if the fuel, air mix is too lean to keep the engine running.
3. Engine stalls eventually after 10-15 seconds.
4. There is a burning smell, almost like diesel fuel when this occurs.

As mentioned this does not occur if I do not clear the codes and the car remains in "reduced engine performance" mode. When I first installed the new EGR I took it for a quick test drive for about 10 minutes having not cleared the codes and the car runs fine with reduced power with coolant temperature remaining around 75C. I have checked both of the gaskets around the EGR cooler and EGR valve.

I have yet to clean the MAF sensor yet or perform a vacuum test on the EGR cooler actuator but I just wanted to see if anyone has an "oh you didn't do this" moment! Very Happy

Any suggestions welcome!

Post #399596 9th Nov 2020 4:18 pm
11slayer11

Bad EGR from factory was stuck open upon testing...swapped for a new one and as good as new. Saved £300 in labor, lost £300 in time and sanity.

Post #399688 10th Nov 2020 7:24 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Here what you are saying. Tried to remove mine for general maintenance. Give up in the end after much skinning of knuckles Whistle . Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #400185 20th Nov 2020 3:55 pm
11slayer11

Absolutely mate, an inspection mirror and some long 1/4 sockets help immensely but still an absolute pain to get it out for the uninitiated! Thumbs Up

Post #400186 20th Nov 2020 4:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1