Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > All Change at JLR?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In my opinion Jaguar has been taking funds out of Land Rover that has made the Land Rover brand much weaker, if the funds had been spent on Land Rovers core products we would have vehicles that were better developed when they went to market, vehicles that didn't require so much attention between services, and maybe a focus on customer service rather than customers as a cash cow.

Every time I see a Jaguar 4x4 I think I have paid for the development cost of that when I bought my DS, maybe if the money had been spent on DS development I wouldn't have needed balance shafts at 13,000 miles. Or maybe my first DS wouldn't have been pouring oil into the engine by doing a forced regen every 250 miles.

Even worse the funds were used to develop vehicles that were in direct competition with Land Rovers products.
How much sooner would the Defender have come to market if the funds were available for development?

No for me Jaguar should go.

Yes I am blinkered, never once have I even contemplated a Jaguar, new or old so I wouldn't miss them. I don't even walk into that side of the dealership. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #399902 14th Nov 2020 11:50 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Ok I can see where you are coming from but I would like to point out that "taking funds out" is an opinion, Jaguar were doing not too bad unlike Land Rover who were stripped of technology when BMW got their hands on the Rover group, the tecnology was taken and used on the X range, I know this as I worked at BHX airport and every day the German suits would land in a leased airliner at the general aviation / executive terminal and they were bused off (up to a 100 a flight) to nearby Land Rover. Once they had stripped the goodies they were off. So I think thats where the money and secrets went!
Jaguar 4x4 development costs are spread throughout the range of vehicles, look at the Velar and Evoke, their costs also went from "your" pocket yet thats not an issue for you when you say the poor reliability of your cars? You then say direct competition , so what does the XE, XF and XJ compete against? They are different cars. I do think your blinkered view may be affecting what you think, I am saying simply... Do not throw out the baby with the bath water, be very careful what you wish for.. Wink 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #399909 15th Nov 2020 8:30 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

It would probably make more sense for JLR to team up with the likes of Toyota or Hyundai who would show them how to make reliable products. I am just starting the process of looking for a replacement for my 2014 FL2, my heart says get a Disco Sport (petrol version so no DPF) but my mind says buy something from the far east even though I have had LR since 1999. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #399913 15th Nov 2020 9:42 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I once dipped a toe in the Range Rover brand and bought an Ewok thinking it was a posh FL2 - made in the same factory, similar parts, same dealerships ......... big mistake the car was downright dangerous, rogue car I hope. but I can hardly complain if my money went into development of the RR brand.

If memory serves me right when the FL2 was built at the Ford factory in Halewood,the (ex)Ford factory manager was appalled by the quality of the first batch and refused (despite huge pressure from LR) to release them until quality was up to an acceptable standard. So maybe stealing some quality management bods from the likes of Hyundia wouldn't be a bad idea. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #399916 15th Nov 2020 10:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12