« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Strongest bolts for roof rails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Flanagan

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Strongest bolts for roof rails

I've ordered some replacement M6 Torx head bolts for my roof rails as one sheared during fitting and another shows corrosion after being on the vehicle for three years.

What metal composition gives the best corrosion resistance and thread strength? I see there are options of titanium and stainless steel. Freelander 2 2010 [MY2011] FA 2.2 TD4 XS

Post #399144 31st Oct 2020 4:13 pm
Dartman the one

England 

The cause of bolts shearing can be that the bolt bottoms before tightening therefore you are twisting the head off at the end of the female thread, ensure the thread and hole depth is greater than the distance from top of the mounting hole to the bottom of the of the rail bolt head. Corrosion resistance would be stainless steel but is softer than high tensile steel. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #399157 31st Oct 2020 8:51 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The problem with the Land Rover roof rails is the roof rails themselves, not the bolts. Even though the bolts seam a bit light.The roof rails are far too flexible with a load & the centre support is a joke at best.

The standard bolt is strong enough & it is galvanized. You do not want to use stainless steel on a steel body. If you use stainless steel wrap in gas (thicker tape) PTFE tape so their is a barrier. Use M6 Allen bolts.

When bolting down tighten up the cross brace last with the last 2 to 3 turns otherwise you are bending the bolts going into the roof.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35376.ht...s+upgrade7

Some photos down this page with an M10 on the run (now returned to an M6).
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32055.html

Down under I have seen plenty of expedition racks where numerous welds have snapped.

We haven't been traveling yet due to Covid as we can't cross borders in Australia, but I think the latest modifications with 5083 alloy bar & Teflon on the end brackets should pretty much solved the actual problem with the roof rack, or more to the point the rails. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #399159 31st Oct 2020 9:12 pm
Lightwater

Dartman the one wrote:
The cause of bolts shearing can be that the bolt bottoms before tightening therefore you are twisting the head off at the end of the female thread, ensure the thread and hole depth is greater than the distance from top of the mounting hole to the bottom of the of the rail bolt head.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic35095-10.html

If the bolt has snapped off right at the surface of the M10 adaptor, Dremel a slot in the end of the snapped off bolt, then you can unscrew it with a flat screwdriver.

Putting Teflon tape on the thread will minimise galvanic corrosion of the mild steel body if using stainless steel bolts. Seal the thread. Acts a bit like a Nyloc nut but allows the M6 bolt to be unscrewed. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #399169 1st Nov 2020 7:32 am
Flanagan

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Thanks to both for the replies.

The bolt sheared because it was so stiff I tried using an impact driver Whistle . I don't think they're too long as they are bespoke 38mm ones which came with well known aftermarket rails.

A garage has removed and fitted a new captive nut which they made and tapped. (I had made matters worse by using a tungsten l/h bit to try removing the bolt and that also snapped). They've also cleaned the threads on the other one on that side so I'm just awaiting the replacement bolts.

I'm intrigued by titanium for a future upgrade. Freelander 2 2010 [MY2011] FA 2.2 TD4 XS

Post #399176 1st Nov 2020 9:55 am
Lightwater

The roof rail & cross brace setup as a whole is in tension when screwed down. It is difficult to fasten the bolts without bending them. But if done in the right order with the cross brace the setup is ok.

My issue is corrugated roads & the roof rails as is are not up to the task. I had to do an improvised fastening in the outback with M10 bolts & file out the feet of the rails.

I have replaced the M10 bolts back to M6 & a bracket. I would rather the M6 bolts snap than the roof fatigue & crack.

Stiffening up the roof rack as a whole reduces stress on any one foot an any one time. I would rather have 6 light bolts & a solid roof rack than heavy duty bolts & a flexing roof rack.

3 of the 4 crossbars I use are actually bolted together as one so provide a lot of bracing across the whole setup. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #399185 1st Nov 2020 10:59 am
Carel Kriek

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

"Stiffening up the roof rack as a whole reduces stress on any one foot an any one time."

Sure about this? I would have thought that a roof rack with a margin of flex would rather distribute the forces more between the foots. What are your thoughts? 2013 SD4 SE (hers)
2013 SD4 HSE (mine)
Ex: 2008 D3 V8 HSE
EX: 2000 D2 TD5

Post #399207 1st Nov 2020 5:36 pm
Lightwater

The roof rail is only screwed onto the centre support with a self tapper, which fell out due to road corrugations & the rail was bouncing up & down on the centre bracket. Also squeaking at the front & rear roof brackets.

For the next holiday I fastened the rail & the centre support together with a bolt & Nyloc nut. I then found that the bottom of the extrusion cracked due to too smaller area.

Now with the structural joint I think it should be ok. I don't want the load on the roof acting like a hammer over every corrugation.

Unless you have driven on our outback roads one will not appreciate the damage a 1000 km of corrugations can do. Last trip we had about 2000 km of corrugations in total.

It is not only the physical damage, it is mentally tiring driving on these roads, especially 3 days in a row. How much can a koala bear!

https://vimeo.com/364281135 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #399222 2nd Nov 2020 2:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1