Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 noise on accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
SeeFive

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

It is very hard to tell from a video, but that doesn’t seem to be anything speed related rotational or airflow through the engine which should change in pitch with revs / speed. It doesn’t seem to be changing with speed or revs. Passenger footwell... what have you got in the glove box? Any cutlery?

Back to serious mode, it reminds me of a dry clutch release bearing on a manual gearbox the way it comes in, is constant and then goes again, but yours is auto and I am no auto gearbox expert, perhaps someone else can pick up on this notion.

I wonder if this is coinciding with the torque converter stator freewheel window which I think starts at 40mph ish? At that speed, the stator which normally turns in the opposite direction to the fluid flow from the pump is expected to get splash back and freewheels on its own clutch - a bit like a release bearing freewheel operation when the clutch pedal is up on a manual. Or maybe the lockup clutch if the LR box is of that type. The lockup clutch kind of gives certain torque converters multiplication factors for efficiency, locking two halves of the torque converter together. If the stator comes in at 40 with a noise and say the lockup clutch kicks in later and stops it... wild guessing time admittedly.

I can’t think of anything else which would change at a moment in time and keep consistent, apart from cutlery in the glove box Smile

I realise that I haven’t described this too well, so maybe this link will help you understand what I am rambling on about and someone who really knows about auto boxes/TCs (like someone from Bell engineering) can offer a bit more on why this is absolute nonsense.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/...verter.htm

Post #398562 19th Oct 2020 1:06 am
Krisals07

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
It must be my hearing but I cant hear anything sounding high pitched & metallic. There is a low rumble sound at times - is that it?

How many miles ?

At 11 years old it could be all sorts of things Im afraid. But Id start by checking over rubber mount for engine/gearbox and exhaust.

Yes its like rumble but only betwee 1400 - 2700 rpm

108000 miles

Post #398564 19th Oct 2020 6:44 am
Krisals07

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SeeFive wrote:
It is very hard to tell from a video, but that doesn’t seem to be anything speed related rotational or airflow through the engine which should change in pitch with revs / speed. It doesn’t seem to be changing with speed or revs. Passenger footwell... what have you got in the glove box? Any cutlery?

Back to serious mode, it reminds me of a dry clutch release bearing on a manual gearbox the way it comes in, is constant and then goes again, but yours is auto and I am no auto gearbox expert, perhaps someone else can pick up on this notion.

I wonder if this is coinciding with the torque converter stator freewheel window which I think starts at 40mph ish? At that speed, the stator which normally turns in the opposite direction to the fluid flow from the pump is expected to get splash back and freewheels on its own clutch - a bit like a release bearing freewheel operation when the clutch pedal is up on a manual. Or maybe the lockup clutch if the LR box is of that type. The lockup clutch kind of gives certain torque converters multiplication factors for efficiency, locking two halves of the torque converter together. If the stator comes in at 40 with a noise and say the lockup clutch kicks in later and stops it... wild guessing time admittedly.

I can’t think of anything else which would change at a moment in time and keep consistent, apart from cutlery in the glove box Smile

I realise that I haven’t described this too well, so maybe this link will help you understand what I am rambling on about and someone who really knows about auto boxes/TCs (like someone from Bell engineering) can offer a bit more on why this is absolute nonsense.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/...verter.htm

Thanks it might be the converter i will check it this week and i will let you know. Thanks for the link ass well.

Post #398579 19th Oct 2020 12:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12